IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 05:30 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone know if the latest tsib

or lsb or whatever they call it for the 2006-2009 model is250 is the actual fix for the carbon build up?

something to do with new pistons with piston rings that have closer tolerances?

or are they still in the engine top cleaning phase??
Old 12-11-11, 11:35 AM
autox250
Driver

Its not EGR, the car uses exhaust cam timing to eliminate EGR. Lexus has confirmed its excessive PCV flow, the pistons n rings are being replaced because they carbon up and theres been some cars expiriencing oil consumption. Killa250 is right thou, i did have an 07 250 6spd i did top engine clean at 30k, then autocrossed it for 2 years and now at 60k i have practically no more carbon than at 30k. Take it up to the 6500 soft limiter once in a while it can handle it..... Plus itll clear all that crap
Old 12-11-11, 11:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by autox250
Its not EGR, the car uses exhaust cam timing to eliminate EGR. Lexus has confirmed its excessive PCV flow, the pistons n rings are being replaced because they carbon up and theres been some cars expiriencing oil consumption. Killa250 is right thou, i did have an 07 250 6spd i did top engine clean at 30k, then autocrossed it for 2 years and now at 60k i have practically no more carbon than at 30k. Take it up to the 6500 soft limiter once in a while it can handle it..... Plus itll clear all that crap
It doesn't eliminate EGR, it eliminates the plumbing from the exhaust and the requisite valves. There's still exhaust gas in the cylinder at part throttle to moderate NOx, and there's still going to be carbon on the valves. I don't think they've "solved" the problem - if it were true, Audi would have put catch cans in their engine ages ago and the Audi owners who have put catch cans on their cars would have stopped seeing the issues. They haven't.
Old 12-11-11, 11:32 PM
autox250
Driver

Im sorry i meant EGR "system" the fuction is obviously still present. Actually there is a fix, its adressed in two areas. A redesigned pcv valve for less flow & redesigned pistons and rings to reduce blowby because there was excessive crank case pressure.. And yes but not enough to blow front and rear mains bc the pcv flowed enough. This is not MY assumption on the fix or TSIB. Its straight from Lexus itself as the cause and remedy. We'll see how well this remedy is in time
Old 12-12-11, 09:18 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone with a VIN outside the TSB experienced the issue yet? Mine is a late 2010 model, but I still have such low miles (16k) that I don't think its a good example. I very rarely get the RPMs up high.
Old 12-13-11, 03:44 PM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by MBTC
Has anyone with a VIN outside the TSB experienced the issue yet? Mine is a late 2010 model, but I still have such low miles (16k) that I don't think its a good example. I very rarely get the RPMs up high.
There are plenty of cars out of warranty... Most people out of warranty avoid paying cash for a $$ tsib... Those people can do top engine clean at home, BG Induction kits etc...
You gotta take ur car up higher... It comes to life after 4k, plus you cant overrev it... The ignition limiter holds it at 6500 all day. We have never had 1 come in with engine failure, theyre pretty damn stout
Old 12-16-11, 08:05 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

There are plenty of cars out of warranty...
Thanks but I actually wasn't asking about cars out of warranty, I said outside of the TSB. To clarify, I meant are there any cars who have a VIN number that falls outside the range mentioned in the TSB?

The production change supposedly took place in the 2010 model, I'm wondering if any folks have still had issues after the production change.
Old 12-17-11, 03:13 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

Default so i

took the wifey's car in for the engine top cleaning. 2nd time at Longo Lexus.

the first time they cleaned it, and now i wanted them to fix the issue once and for all with the pistons/rings, etc, as the wife was complaining that it's beginning to stutter again.

so i drop the car off in the morning, they call me in the afternoon saying they cannot find any misfire codes and what not and can't duplicate the issue.

this is so stupid, you have it on record that you've already performed the engine top cleaning, and you know it will come back. why won't they fix it???

not to be over dramatic, but it's like a surgeon going in to fix someone who needs a quadruple bypass, but instead of fixing the issue he just patches him up and says "ok, you'll be fine for now..."

that's just idiotic, and one reason why i don't think i'll ever own another lexus (wife and i both have one right now).
Old 12-17-11, 10:47 PM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by MBTC
Thanks but I actually wasn't asking about cars out of warranty, I said outside the TSB.
You were asking that, powertrain warranty and the tsib BOTH are 7/60k. The bulletin calls for "some models 2006-2010" if you have a BK262 in your vin then it doesnt apply
Old 12-18-11, 12:52 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mickificki
took the wifey's car in for the engine top cleaning. 2nd time at Longo Lexus.

the first time they cleaned it, and now i wanted them to fix the issue once and for all with the pistons/rings, etc, as the wife was complaining that it's beginning to stutter again.

so i drop the car off in the morning, they call me in the afternoon saying they cannot find any misfire codes and what not and can't duplicate the issue.

this is so stupid, you have it on record that you've already performed the engine top cleaning, and you know it will come back. why won't they fix it???

not to be over dramatic, but it's like a surgeon going in to fix someone who needs a quadruple bypass, but instead of fixing the issue he just patches him up and says "ok, you'll be fine for now..."

that's just idiotic, and one reason why i don't think i'll ever own another lexus (wife and i both have one right now).
Because they don't know it will come back. Not everyone has the issue over and over again. Some people have managed to avoid having issues with the build up just by being more aggressive on the gas and using synthetic oil for longer distances. If they can't duplicate the issue, they won't perform the work. Why? Because its not the dealership that covers the car, they have to bill Lexus corporate for it and have to say that they inspected the car and the issue was confirmed. Not sure Lexus corporate would be too happy if they found out any one of their dealers was doing engine overhauls for issues that weren't even confirmed. If you really think your entitled to the engine overhaul, your best bet would be to open a complaint with Lexus corporate. Unless they confirm the issue is recurring, there's not much of a reason for them to replace all the pistons and all and bill Lexus corporate for the work.

This piston and related parts replacement was not for people that had the top engine clean done once and want it done for peace of mind...its for those who are really having issues with recurring Carbon build up.
Old 12-18-11, 07:13 AM
autox250
Driver

Thats absolutely true, part of the warranty claim is to submit current codes or the history from your misfire monitor... If theyre clear.... Then theres nothing a dealer can do, any bounced claims is on them... I dont remember the exact vin range, i know my 2007 is NOT in it. Ill look it up monday at work
Old 12-18-11, 09:37 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

You were asking that, powertrain warranty and the tsib BOTH are 7/60k.
Sorry, but this sentence does not make sense to me (grammatically, as written).

The bulletin calls for "some models 2006-2010" if you have a BK262 in your vin then it doesnt apply
My original question is not whether my VIN is included in the TSB, once again my question is whether or not anyone who has a VIN that is not included in the TSB is experiencing symptoms of this issue.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-11, 08:33 PM
autox250
Driver

Im sorry, I didn't know you were grammatically sensitive. Your question is rhetorical, every IS250 has a 4GR, therefore ALL 250s are affected. That would mean, YES there are many out there that are on their own
Old 12-19-11, 06:39 AM
autox250
Driver

Btw the vin range is for cars up to this limit:
Tahara Plant:
2WD-JTHBF5C2#A5111618
4WD-JTHCF5C2#A5038287

TMK Plant:
2WD-JTHBF5C2#A2095102
4WD-JTHCF5C2#A2032832
Old 12-19-11, 09:23 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Im sorry, I didn't know you were grammatically sensitive. Your question is rhetorical, every IS250 has a 4GR, therefore ALL 250s are affected. That would mean, YES there are many out there that are on their own
I'm not grammatically sensitive, it's just that when the choice is made to communicate in English, it is far preferable to do so competently than incompetently. I'm always open to substituting clear logic for bad grammar, but you seem to be coming up short on both.

I'm not sure if you are just not trying to contrib, or are going out of your way to ignite some sort of flame session. I assure you I prefer to get along with folks and have no interest in that.

I am just curious if anyone has had carbon build up related problems with their 250 **after the production change Lexus enacted as a result of the TSB**.

There, I've reworded it once again for clarity. If you still don't understand, please step aside and let the literate have a crack at it.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)