IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 11:53 AM
autox250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this right, you dont want to talk **** yet you talk about having a competent and literate conversation? Look im not here to argue ok?. This is my 2nd language so you better damn well be fluent spoken an written on atleast 2 languages before you criticize ppl u know NOTHING about. Ignorants like you are a dime-a-dozen, enough w the personal comments. I got ur original question, thank you for clarifying it for me
Old 12-19-11, 01:20 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this info. Do we know the date that Lexus changed the engine to fix this issue?

The reason I am asking is that I have a 2010 IS 250 convertible produced in May 2010. Its vin number (JTHFF2C2**********) doesn't appear to be in sequence with regular IS250. I can't even tell which Toyota plant made it.

Originally Posted by autox250
Btw the vin range is for cars up to this limit:
Tahara Plant:
2WD-JTHBF5C2#A5111618
4WD-JTHCF5C2#A5038287

TMK Plant:
2WD-JTHBF5C2#A2095102
4WD-JTHCF5C2#A2032832
Old 12-19-11, 01:26 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Let me get this right, you dont want to talk **** yet you talk about having a competent and literate conversation? Look im not here to argue ok?. This is my 2nd language so you better damn well be fluent spoken an written on atleast 2 languages before you criticize ppl u know NOTHING about. Ignorants like you are a dime-a-dozen, enough w the personal comments. I got ur original question, thank you for clarifying it for me
This is not multi-lingual forum. The expectation is that we all communicate in English. If you don't understand something, it's better to be humble and ask for clarity. Copping an attitude here is just wasting bandwidth.

As I said, if you do not have an experience that relates to my question just step aside and let someone who does answer it. Or at least let others who have a chance at understanding the question read it. Right now you're wasting bandwidth and a lot of folk's time.
Old 12-19-11, 03:27 PM
autox250
Driver

Actually those are the ranges for the 250, the 250C is
JTHFF2C2#A2507310
Old 12-19-11, 05:13 PM
freeflight
Driver

Actually those are the ranges for the 250, the 250C is
JTHFF2C2#A2507310
Thanks. Mine is barely above this range. Can you share the source of this info with me?

I guess time will tell whether Lexus indeed fixed this problem.
Old 12-19-11, 07:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Autox250 ,

Please exit this thread. I suggest taking a read of the sense of community sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 12-20-11, 04:05 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

i simply dont see how this issue won't come back. this is my wife's car, she doesn't gun it or race around aggressively.

and i don't plan on using synthetic oil in order to "mask" a defect on the part of lexus' design.

they designed this engine incorrectly, and i dont see how it's NOT going to happen again. it WILL happen again, because they haven't done anything to fix the issue, merely put a band aid on it.

it's a complete failure on the part of longo and lexus, imo. longo's merely passing the buck to lexus corporate.

and lexus corporate (i'm sure of it) will pass the buck back to longo.

that's how companies get away with not paying for warranties.

the LEAST that longo could have done is say, we cannot authorize the fix because we cannot find the issue BUT what we can do is call lexus corporate for you, and let's see if they will authorize it.

i'm done with lexus and their BS. I was planning on buying the wife an RX350 and trade in my IS300. forget it, i'm getting her an MDX.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Because they don't know it will come back. Not everyone has the issue over and over again. Some people have managed to avoid having issues with the build up just by being more aggressive on the gas and using synthetic oil for longer distances. If they can't duplicate the issue, they won't perform the work. Why? Because its not the dealership that covers the car, they have to bill Lexus corporate for it and have to say that they inspected the car and the issue was confirmed. Not sure Lexus corporate would be too happy if they found out any one of their dealers was doing engine overhauls for issues that weren't even confirmed. If you really think your entitled to the engine overhaul, your best bet would be to open a complaint with Lexus corporate. Unless they confirm the issue is recurring, there's not much of a reason for them to replace all the pistons and all and bill Lexus corporate for the work.

This piston and related parts replacement was not for people that had the top engine clean done once and want it done for peace of mind...its for those who are really having issues with recurring Carbon build up.
Old 12-20-11, 04:17 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they tried to replicate my problem at the dealership today but they couldnt get any codes. So they sent me packing with the carbon build up problem and 65,000 miles...what to do.. what to do..
Old 12-20-11, 04:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
they tried to replicate my problem at the dealership today but they couldnt get any codes. So they sent me packing with the carbon build up problem and 65,000 miles...what to do.. what to do..
Could try this, posted a few pages back...

Originally Posted by XhyDra
I'm still baffled by the lack of help in part of Lexus on this issue. Mostly because a lot of people are coming to the end of their powertrain warranty, as far as mileage is concerned.

I've devised a method that's worked twice in the past. Throwing a check engine light on behalf of engine misfires.

The first step to getting this LSB warranted by Lexus is simple, baby your car & do several short trips every week, short I mean 5 to 10 min drives.

Next step is to pay attention to your car every time you come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign. If and when you notice your car acting like it's about to stall, immediately drop the gear to N (Neutral) and rev up the engine to red line for a few seconds consecutively. Let it bounce off the rev limiter, don't worry these cars have a cut off so you won't be doing any harm.

If done correctly at the moment you put the car into D (Drive) it should throw a misfire witch will generate a check engine light.

Quickly proceed to your nearest dealership and have them take care of your concern.

This has been a service announcement in case you didn't know

Please note, this method mentioned here is only for purposes of having the dealer acknowledge your concern. It's meant for those who have been battling the problem and spending much of their hard earned cash on injector cleaners, fuel system cleaners, and other expensive bandaid fixes. Not to mention dealerships offering to do the top engine cleaning as a "charge service". The dealer cannot try to duplicate a check engine code with misfires as it's stored in the computer immediately after it happens.
Old 12-20-11, 04:28 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

apparently the fix is the pistons/rings.

that's what they're putting into the 2011/2012 models, at least that's what the service advisor told me, which is why there's no tsb for those models for this issue.

I have no idea if Acura will be better or different, but I'm willing to give them a try.

With my wife's IS250, she's had:

1. gas pedal recall/fix.
2. leaky fuel gasket that could've started a fire, recall fixed.
3. stuttering engine, engine top clean, stuttering again, there's a fix but they don't want to fix it.
4. windshield moulding is cracking.
5. front inside tires are wearing abnormally more than the rest of the tires, threads are showing, longo says not their fault, it's an alignment issue because my wife hit a curb, lol, when she never parks near a curb.

I used to think that lexuses were bulletproof, but i know now that's not the case. other companies have caught up and maybe even surpassed them.

I was a HUGE fan of lexus, but their response to our issues has been less than stellar, to say the least. Very disappointing.

I understand your frustration, but do you expect Acura to be better or different? You're right about top engine clean not being a fix, it's more of required long term maintenance until the vehicle is modified. Unfortunately the whole updated parts/piston campaign just started and there hasn't been enough time past for anyone to know truly how efficient the remedy was.
Old 12-20-11, 04:54 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mickificki
apparently the fix is the pistons/rings.

that's what they're putting into the 2011/2012 models, at least that's what the service advisor told me, which is why there's no tsb for those models for this issue.

I have no idea if Acura will be better or different, but I'm willing to give them a try.

With my wife's IS250, she's had:

1. gas pedal recall/fix.
2. leaky fuel gasket that could've started a fire, recall fixed.
3. stuttering engine, engine top clean, stuttering again, there's a fix but they don't want to fix it.
4. windshield moulding is cracking.
5. front inside tires are wearing abnormally more than the rest of the tires, threads are showing, longo says not their fault, it's an alignment issue because my wife hit a curb, lol, when she never parks near a curb.

I used to think that lexuses were bulletproof, but i know now that's not the case. other companies have caught up and maybe even surpassed them.

I was a HUGE fan of lexus, but their response to our issues has been less than stellar, to say the least. Very disappointing.

Minor issues compared to some of the things other car manufacturers are facing. BMW still hasn't fixed the HPFP failures, its been a few years now and some 2011 owners are still seeing dead fuel pumps. Even Honda, the 06-08 Civic's apparently have sheet metal on the head that can crack and requires a completely new head to fix.

The gas pedal fix, the leaky fuel gasket, windshield molding and carbon build up are all issues Lexus is aware of and is fixing. No car has 0 issues...at least Lexus realizes these issues exist and is fixing them. Just think, If your car did catch fire because of a leaky fuel gasket (and we haven't heard of any doing so yet) i doubt you would have figured out it was the gasket at fault....but Lexus realizes the risk isn't worth it and would rather fix the issue.At least they are recognizing the issue and fixing it now. Your tires could have been a lot of things- might have been the natural Lexus camber, might have been your failure to do alignments once in a while.

As far as the carbon build up issue, like i said, if it happens again, bring it up with them. Right now your blaming Longo Lexus when Longo Lexus cannot do anything for you. If your not having the issue again already and they can't duplicate it, what are they supposed to tell Lexus corporate? "we just fixed this issue for this guy, but he wants an engine rebuild, just in case....but we can't replicate the issue according to your procedures" Of course corporate is going to say no....
Old 12-20-11, 05:43 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

have you read anything i've written?

what's been done to fix the carbon deposit issue? NOTHING. not a damn thing.

what's to prevent it from happening again? NOTHING.

it WILL happen again, its just a matter of time. and who's to say it won't damage the engine in the process?? that's my concern, the safety of my wife and the safety of the engine.

as for your claims of no car is perfect, um...no ***** sherlock. but my IS300 has been near perfect. a bad O2 sensor, and THATS IT.

as for lexus fixing the leaky gasket, um...how do you think they realized the gasket was leaking????

because someone smelled A FREAKING FUEL LEAK in their car, and reported it, and it was verified by lexus, on more than one occasion.

it's as if you're making excuses for lexus, and them doing us a favor by fixing the fuel gasket. no, the only reason why they fixed the fuel gasket is because they don't want to get sued for MILLIONS...

oh, and by the way, lexus corporate called. nope, they won't fix it because they trust longo lexus' word, and they can't find anything wrong. oh but wait, they DID see something wrong the 1st time they did the engine top cleaning!

oh man i'm pissed.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Minor issues compared to some of the things other car manufacturers are facing. BMW still hasn't fixed the HPFP failures, its been a few years now and some 2011 owners are still seeing dead fuel pumps. Even Honda, the 06-08 Civic's apparently have sheet metal on the head that can crack and requires a completely new head to fix.

The gas pedal fix, the leaky fuel gasket, windshield molding and carbon build up are all issues Lexus is aware of and is fixing. No car has 0 issues...at least Lexus realizes these issues exist and is fixing them. Just think, If your car did catch fire because of a leaky fuel gasket (and we haven't heard of any doing so yet) i doubt you would have figured out it was the gasket at fault....but Lexus realizes the risk isn't worth it and would rather fix the issue.At least they are recognizing the issue and fixing it now. Your tires could have been a lot of things- might have been the natural Lexus camber, might have been your failure to do alignments once in a while.

As far as the carbon build up issue, like i said, if it happens again, bring it up with them. Right now your blaming Longo Lexus when Longo Lexus cannot do anything for you. If your not having the issue again already and they can't duplicate it, what are they supposed to tell Lexus corporate? "we just fixed this issue for this guy, but he wants an engine rebuild, just in case....but we can't replicate the issue according to your procedures" Of course corporate is going to say no....
Old 12-21-11, 06:24 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And really, guys, the "gas pedal recall" was just a PR stunt as there is no problem if you put the floormats in the car as they are supposed to be and CLEARLY shown in the instructions. AND if there is a problem, just turn off the engine or go to neutral. If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't be on the road. Hey in the old days with carbs, Chrysler products were known for having the return spring break on the carb. Happened to me on my Dodge Charger. You just turned the engine off and used needle nose pliers to form a new hook in the spring and you were good to go. The later fix was Chrysler put two springs on it - if the pedal went down easy, you knew one broke and to get it replaced.
Old 12-21-11, 12:27 PM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by oseidler
And really, guys, the "gas pedal recall" was just a PR stunt as there is no problem if you put the floormats in the car as they are supposed to be and CLEARLY shown in the instructions. AND if there is a problem, just turn off the engine or go to neutral. If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't be on the road. Hey in the old days with carbs, Chrysler products were known for having the return spring break on the carb. Happened to me on my Dodge Charger. You just turned the engine off and used needle nose pliers to form a new hook in the spring and you were good to go. The later fix was Chrysler put two springs on it - if the pedal went down easy, you knew one broke and to get it replaced.
Wow.. that brings back memories... My '67 Cornet 440 did the same thing....And not picking on any brand, but as I drive to work for the last week, there has been a guy with a sandwich board picketing in front of Honda with the sign reading... "Google Honda transmission issues".. Been out there all week, something tells me that maybe Honda is giving him a hard time fixing his transmission, and there is plenty of info out there on it..

Lexus is fixing the problems when they arise, and if your car currently doesn’t have the problem, they are probably busy repairing the ones that do… I can not imagine that Lexus would refuse to fix your car if the issue comes back.. even after the 6/70 powertrain warranty, esp. as you are on record as having the initial problem before your warranty expired..
Old 12-22-11, 04:07 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was a '67 Dodge Charger 383 4-bbl - not sure what the old 383 CID translates to in today's terms since the engines are metric designated now. But I'm sure it was WAY far over what's in the IS250.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)