IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 05:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oseidler
Mine was a '67 Dodge Charger 383 4-bbl - not sure what the old 383 CID translates to in today's terms since the engines are metric designated now. But I'm sure it was WAY far over what's in the IS250.
383 is a 6.3L engine (versus the 2.5 in the 250, and the 3.5 in the 350)
Old 12-22-11, 08:01 AM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jay90011
hey guys so i got my car back today and this is the info that was on the paper work from the service that was performed. Only downside right now is that my AC does not work so ill be taking the car back on saturday.

Hey guys wondering if anyone has gotten the lsb done as well on their car ... Im asking because my car is starting to show symptoms again after having the full overhaul a month back. The symptoms are small so far .. light rpm stuttering . the ocassional jump in rpms with the car lunging forward. The car hasnt started stalling again .. so im waiting for the symptoms to get as bad as when i took it in the last time .

History of my car so far.

I have reported the carbon issue to my SA every time i take my car in for a oil change and just this year is when they started performing the top engine clean.

January 2011-
top engine clean performed after duplicating the issue.

March 2011 -
Car stalls on the 405 south and 10 connector . dealer recovers vehicle and check for faulty codes .. No codes found even though check engine light was on right before it stalled. Dealer performs top engine clean again.

May 2011
Top engine clean is performed again when tech feels the same symptoms come back during my oil change.

June 2011
Top Engine clean performed again after vehicle stalls on PCH in malibu. dealer recovers car again and no codes again ...Same symptoms car stuttered and then threw a check engine light and then stalled. Vehicle is turned on at dealer and sputters several times before running normal. Lexus issues case # and dealer advises me of the lsb ready to be performed when lexus approves the fix .

October 2011 -
dealer advises the fix has been approved and to bring my car down if i'm still having the same issues. Day before my appointment car stalls again coming out of my driveway. Again hard stutter ... check engine light and car stalls . Called dealer up again and picked up my vehicle.

Dec 2011 symptoms are back light stuttering but its back.

Lexus has well documents my history of this car and now i'm wondering if they will just buy it back now with this issue coming back. I bought my car in 09 used with 29k miles. Its a 06 model IS250. Currently my vehicle has 60k miles and im still under warranty till august of next year .

P.S - Before any one bashes the dealer they have done a great job in taking care of me.. every time they have picked up my car they have filled up my tank .. Performed their 200 dollars full detail on my vehicle and have given me a GS450h as a loaner. They full restored the leather as well on the back seat after my daughter decided to spill juice all over the side of her car seat and didn't say anything until we took the seat off and saw the leather moldy and stained even after we wiped it down..

Last edited by jay90011; 12-22-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-22-11, 12:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mickificki
have you read anything i've written?

what's been done to fix the carbon deposit issue? NOTHING. not a damn thing.

what's to prevent it from happening again? NOTHING.

it WILL happen again, its just a matter of time. and who's to say it won't damage the engine in the process?? that's my concern, the safety of my wife and the safety of the engine.

as for your claims of no car is perfect, um...no ***** sherlock. but my IS300 has been near perfect. a bad O2 sensor, and THATS IT.

as for lexus fixing the leaky gasket, um...how do you think they realized the gasket was leaking????

because someone smelled A FREAKING FUEL LEAK in their car, and reported it, and it was verified by lexus, on more than one occasion.

it's as if you're making excuses for lexus, and them doing us a favor by fixing the fuel gasket. no, the only reason why they fixed the fuel gasket is because they don't want to get sued for MILLIONS...

oh, and by the way, lexus corporate called. nope, they won't fix it because they trust longo lexus' word, and they can't find anything wrong. oh but wait, they DID see something wrong the 1st time they did the engine top cleaning!

oh man i'm pissed.
When it happens again, and they verify it, ask for the new pistons and all to be put in. That is their fix if you keep experiencing the issue. Have you even tried to do XhyDra's trick to get the check engine light to come on? Right now, they fixed your car once, and can't verify the issue this second time. I'm not really sure what you expect Longo to do. Provide a false verification of the issue to Corporate? Replace all the pistons even though they wont be reimbursed by Corporate? Corporate isn't going to act on an issue one of their dealers can't even verify.

But your probably right about the fuel leak, didn't think about that, i've just never heard of anyone complaining of a fuel smell on their 2IS.

Anyways, done arguing with you on this matter.

Hope you get your wifes car fixed to your satisfaction
Old 12-22-11, 01:57 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yo im honestly afraid of doing what hydra says to do. Idk how to go about it haha
Old 12-23-11, 12:03 PM
MrQ40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Direction Injection Problems

Just had my IS to the dealer. I've had problems with idle, shaking, loss of power, stalling for years and Lexus has never been able to identify or fix the problem until now. KInd of surprising that it took 4-5 years of services managers treating me like I was crazy before any acknowledgement. And to boot, had I not brought the issue up again, it doesn't appear anyone would have asked.

Seems like the problem is much bigger than anything I've read in this post. Pistons are going to be replaced to tighten the seals in hopes of resolving build up.

So my question is, "What are the effects of this on the car (gas mileage and power), will there be future maintenance issues and repairs required, and will it really fix the issue in the long term?"

Seems like a substantial design flaw and I question whether the fix resolves all future problems in the long term, or whether it's just a bandaid that will slow the process but ultimately continue to return.

I was told this was impacting a large number of IS's and it seems only a matter of time and mileage before it affects every IS out there.

I'm really happy that something can/will be done, but it's disappointing because I've placed all my trust in Lexus and Toyota for years, however, that has fallen apart over the last 3-4.
Old 12-23-11, 12:36 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the top end cleaning and it has been good so far with only a few studders here and there, but nothing like before the cleaning. I too was looked at like I was making it up when I would bring it in for service and tell them how it almost stalls at lights. I bought the extended warranty for 8 years 100K miles so I am hoping this will get me through some time, but what does the future hold? Do they plan to do this fix to all the cars? We need something more permanent if it is a design flaw on Lexus' part.
Old 12-24-11, 09:29 AM
bizlipkick
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I have a 09 IS250 we recently purchased just north of 40k miles. I dont really have the rough idling, but I think I have something that might be carbon related. I notice if i have to go WOT (getting on highway, etc) around 5500 rpm's, my car will emit some greyish smoke (easier to see at night in someone elses headlights) its only for a second, then its gone. Have checked coolant (fine), no visible leaks (any smoke I assume headgasket, had two MK3 supra's that had the issue). I am taking the car in tuesday to Lexus, but was curious if any of you had the same symptoms. I am not sure if this goes hand in hand with the "piston slap" I have read about. Thanks
Old 12-27-11, 05:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by bizlipkick
Hey guys, I have a 09 IS250 we recently purchased just north of 40k miles. I dont really have the rough idling, but I think I have something that might be carbon related. I notice if i have to go WOT (getting on highway, etc) around 5500 rpm's, my car will emit some greyish smoke (easier to see at night in someone elses headlights) its only for a second, then its gone. Have checked coolant (fine), no visible leaks (any smoke I assume headgasket, had two MK3 supra's that had the issue). I am taking the car in tuesday to Lexus, but was curious if any of you had the same symptoms. I am not sure if this goes hand in hand with the "piston slap" I have read about. Thanks
This is completely unrelated and very normal for Toyota fuel calibration at WOT. They will always run rich at WOT to protect the engine from going too lean and burning holes in the pistons.
Old 12-29-11, 06:11 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

Jay, I would hope that your dealer would take care of you, after numerous stalls that could've lead to deadly results.

I'm surprised that the supposed "fix" is not working.

Is this happening to anyone else? If it's not the fix then the only recourse left for us is selling the car.

Originally Posted by jay90011
Hey guys wondering if anyone has gotten the lsb done as well on their car ... Im asking because my car is starting to show symptoms again after having the full overhaul a month back. The symptoms are small so far .. light rpm stuttering . the ocassional jump in rpms with the car lunging forward. The car hasnt started stalling again .. so im waiting for the symptoms to get as bad as when i took it in the last time .

History of my car so far.

I have reported the carbon issue to my SA every time i take my car in for a oil change and just this year is when they started performing the top engine clean.

January 2011-
top engine clean performed after duplicating the issue.

March 2011 -
Car stalls on the 405 south and 10 connector . dealer recovers vehicle and check for faulty codes .. No codes found even though check engine light was on right before it stalled. Dealer performs top engine clean again.

May 2011
Top engine clean is performed again when tech feels the same symptoms come back during my oil change.

June 2011
Top Engine clean performed again after vehicle stalls on PCH in malibu. dealer recovers car again and no codes again ...Same symptoms car stuttered and then threw a check engine light and then stalled. Vehicle is turned on at dealer and sputters several times before running normal. Lexus issues case # and dealer advises me of the lsb ready to be performed when lexus approves the fix .

October 2011 -
dealer advises the fix has been approved and to bring my car down if i'm still having the same issues. Day before my appointment car stalls again coming out of my driveway. Again hard stutter ... check engine light and car stalls . Called dealer up again and picked up my vehicle.

Dec 2011 symptoms are back light stuttering but its back.

Lexus has well documents my history of this car and now i'm wondering if they will just buy it back now with this issue coming back. I bought my car in 09 used with 29k miles. Its a 06 model IS250. Currently my vehicle has 60k miles and im still under warranty till august of next year .

P.S - Before any one bashes the dealer they have done a great job in taking care of me.. every time they have picked up my car they have filled up my tank .. Performed their 200 dollars full detail on my vehicle and have given me a GS450h as a loaner. They full restored the leather as well on the back seat after my daughter decided to spill juice all over the side of her car seat and didn't say anything until we took the seat off and saw the leather moldy and stained even after we wiped it down..
Old 01-02-12, 04:36 PM
is250son
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by autox250
You were asking that, powertrain warranty and the tsib BOTH are 7/60k. The bulletin calls for "some models 2006-2010" if you have a BK262 in your vin then it doesnt apply
You mention if I have a BK262 in my vin than tsib doesn't apply. Is there something special about this vin? I'm supposed to purchase a 2008 is250 with 74k miles tomorrow and someewhat concerned. Any help is appreciated
Old 01-02-12, 08:11 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

i dont see how BK262 doesnt apply, as my wife's car is BK262 and stutters.

...sigh...

You were asking that, powertrain warranty and the tsib BOTH are 7/60k. The bulletin calls for "some models 2006-2010" if you have a BK262 in your vin then it doesnt apply
Old 01-03-12, 04:28 AM
is250son
Driver School Candidate

Default Direct Injection Article

Nice article here about direct injection technology and their problems. Looks like Lexus is not alone. But after reading this article it makes me wonder if their fix will really address the issue.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/...-adopters.html
Old 01-03-12, 07:04 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

You're reading the TSB VIN range incorrectly. Every 2006-2009 IS250 falls under the TSIB, the VIN range cutoff is only going to be applicable to 2010 models, which will need to be verified to make sure they are not past those particular frame numbers.

This is due to the VDS format changing for MY 2010. There are no 06-09 IS models with VIN's that contain the BF5C2 or CF5C2 VDS'. If you try to match VDS' on any 06-09 IS with the TSB, none of them would apply.

ALL 2006-2009 IS250 models have BK262 (RWD) or CK262 (AWD) VDS', ALL 2010-2012 IS250 models have BF5C2 (RWD) or CF5C2 (AWD) VDS'.

For the person asking which plant his car was made at, look at the 11th digit for the plant code, 2 = TMK, 5 = Tahara. The VDS' has nothing to do with which plant it was made at, only the plant code is applicable.

I would also take the VIN cutoff with a grain of salt, Toyota/Lexus often extends older TSB's to cover newer vehicles later, it is possible they changed something at that point in production, it is also possible that they do not want to service any vehicles newer than the TSB at this time, likely because they would want to investigate newer engines with the problem, or for other reasons. Having a vehicle with a newer VIN doesn't necessarily mean your car is any different. It might be, but it doesn't mean it is.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 01-03-12 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-03-12, 07:46 AM
autox250
Driver

According to the tsb they dont apply, but the tsb is wrong... Jeff is completely correct, lexus used the 2010's vin for the bulletin. The 4GR 06-09 was K now its F. Lexus is going to publish an update to the tsb. But for everyone in this post, like jeff said.. For now EVERYONE that has the misfire or stumble go and get the procedure done.
I apologize for my info b4 as we had to stick to that till now... A few ppl w ck262s came back complaining
Old 01-03-12, 09:58 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

According to the tsb they dont apply, but the tsb is wrong... Jeff is completely correct, lexus used the 2010's vin for the bulletin. The 4GR 06-09 was K now its F. Lexus is going to publish an update to the tsb. But for everyone in this post, like jeff said.. For now EVERYONE that has the misfire or stumble go and get the procedure done.
I apologize for my info b4 as we had to stick to that till now... A few ppl w ck262s came back complaining
I have 3000 miles to go (to 70k) and just had this problem show up on Sunday..... Now I'm very worried as it probably wont happen again in time to get it covered. Then I'll end up with a lexus 2000 miles out of warranty with a bum engine.

What do you advise? My dealership is willing to look at the car and give me a loaner, but wants to charge 130 up front and if the car shows problems (which it probably will not) they will cover it for me.

The car did run rough for 30 seconds one morning in November and then it also stalled at a red light one time in the year I've owned it.

Does anyone know what tests they do to see if it qualifies? I left it as "if the car shows the issue, I'm going to drive it straight to you and leave it running till your mechanic can look at it"

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)