IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 03:39 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by mickificki
Jeff, do you know if people who get the tsb repair for the pistons today get the newer pistons from 2011 on?
Currently people would be getting the updated piston rings that were used from 2010-early 2012 models, the newest 2012 piston rings aren't being used for the TSB.

Jeff
Old 04-20-12, 04:02 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Has the vehicle miss-fired before or done any rough idle? If it did, the tech's could probably capture the data if it its still in memory.
Before the engine top cleaning it rough idled constantly when stopped but hasn't been consistent since. I am noticing some rough idle lately, but not enough to justify taking it in.
Old 04-21-12, 01:58 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally got my car taken in for the Carbon Build up issue once again, lets see how things go!
Old 04-21-12, 05:20 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ you said again...meaning they changed your pistons already?
Old 04-21-12, 06:30 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
^ you said again...meaning they changed your pistons already?
I'm guessing they already did the top-end clean, and he's hoping they do the new TSB this time.

Jeff
Old 04-21-12, 09:49 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, they did the top-engine clean, probably gonna be doing pistons now if they can confirm the issue.

Went about 30k miles after the top engine clean before it was bad enough to be taken in. lol
Old 04-21-12, 06:14 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ how much miles u got on ur car now?
Old 04-21-12, 10:59 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I'm at just under 70k miles, thankfully I have the CPO warranty for another 1.5 years/30k miles too.

First time it went in was around 42k miles I believe for the top engine clean.
Old 04-21-12, 11:23 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm do any of you guys feel the rough jerk when you put your car from P to R or from D to R?
I have that once in a while... is this problem related to the carbon build up?
Old 04-23-12, 04:37 PM
meis250
Driver

After the top engine clean (Seafoam) at 62k miles I still had what I considered a rough idle when in drive. That with new spark plugs, air filter and Mobil 1. Then I used a can of Seafoam in half a tank and drove the car hard for a couple of days (kept it above 4k rpm on the highway, hard starts). Then I filled it up with Premium and the annoying vibration is almost gone. You can still feel it in the steering wheel but nowhere close to before when you could feel it in the seat. All in all I'm very happy, I hope it's going to last.
Anyone had to repeat the top engine cleaning for carbon buildup? after how long?
Old 04-23-12, 07:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Update on my situation..

Longo Lexus was able to verify the issue with my car and is replacing the pistons and everything under the factory warranty. I had CPO warranty too, but since i was at 69,9xxx miles it's covered under the factory powertrain warranty first. For anyone wondering, CPO warranty does cover the TSIB as well, the only difference is that CPO warranty claims require Lexus corporate approval, but the standard Lexus warranty doesn't require approval for work.

It should be a good 2 weeks before my car is done. I'm thinking it will take longer then that even, but we'll see. Longo Lexus has been really great about this though and is really taking care of everything well. So if anyone is in the LA area and is having issues with Carbon Build up, i'd recommend taking the car to Longo Lexus for repairs.
Old 04-23-12, 07:40 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meis250
After the top engine clean (Seafoam) at 62k miles I still had what I considered a rough idle when in drive. That with new spark plugs, air filter and Mobil 1. Then I used a can of Seafoam in half a tank and drove the car hard for a couple of days (kept it above 4k rpm on the highway, hard starts). Then I filled it up with Premium and the annoying vibration is almost gone. You can still feel it in the steering wheel but nowhere close to before when you could feel it in the seat. All in all I'm very happy, I hope it's going to last.
Anyone had to repeat the top engine cleaning for carbon buildup? after how long?
I went about 30k after having the top engine clean performed before the issue came up again.
Old 04-27-12, 10:13 AM
slickz
Driver School Candidate

*edit*
corporate called me back and they will cover all costs. whew

took my car in for a check engine light with misfire on cylinder 1 code. i was hoping it was bad spark plugs or coil pack since my car is an 06 with 93,000 miles. the dealership calls me up in the afternoon and said they may need to open the engine cover to do some testing. i said fine. next thing you know, they called me up and told me they had to take apart the whole engine and says my pistons need to be replaced and will cost $5100. I was dumbfoundead. I am no longer covered by my warranty and I dont even know if its worth to replace it. I am also a bit pissed because this is a defect on the is250 and while i maintain my car at timely intervals, the carbon buildup cannnot be avoided. what is worse is that they took apart my engine without really telling me. so now, if i tell them i dont want to fix it..im afraid my car will come out being worse than before because they wasted so much time taking apart the engine. ive seen a few cases where customers called corporate and they were able to cover the service for the,. so i actually called corporate 2 days ago. today, i called to check the status and they told me they are still looking into it. they also told me that even if they wanted to cover my cost, it is up to the dealership to decide whether or not they allow corporate to help me. i think that is such bs. what is the point of having a corporate office if the dealerships make the final call? where is the customer service? how can corporate not have a final say? crossing my fingers they will cover it.
sorry, just wanted to vent.

Last edited by slickz; 04-27-12 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-27-12, 01:29 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Glad corporate is covering the costs for you!
Old 05-02-12, 10:05 AM
mathdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Carbon buildup @ 60k

My wife just took her 2008 IS250 in to the dealership in Newport So Cal after she received a check engine/VSC error. When she described the problem, the service guy waived the estimate fee citing that it sounded like it was covered under the drivetrain warranty. Even lent my wife a loaner.

Before the VSC error appeared, my wife had mentioned the car did shake alot more during idle (which I'm not used to since I drive a beater car). Also, somehow her car was consuming oil because our mechanic mentioned there was very little oil during her last oil change. Also, does anyone have a problem with a strange clunking sound when they start their IS 250?

Anyways, after a day they called back stating there was carbon build up and that it will require replacing the pistons on the motor. This would be covered under the drivetrain warranty. Although, they suggested changing the spark plugs (even though they were recently changed) at a cost of $150 out of her pocket. She had them do this anyway since they'd have to take out the motor.

I was surprised they addressed the problem so quickly. Still though, I am disappointed that Lexus is not handling it in a better way. I wonder if they should have done a recall. Do you guys think this will happen on most IS 250's?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)