IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 06:36 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the car back to the dealership yesterday. I explained the whole situation to the service consultant and he was surprised to know that the issue still exists. He also said that the car has a lot of problems for carbon buildup and he is aware of the problem. I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-18-12, 04:46 PM
DrO's LeX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My baby just hit me up with these codes!!! P0101, P0172, P0175.......she's running like MIERDA!!!!! (****) I'm soooo pissed, gonna be the third time I take her in for this!
Old 05-21-12, 01:37 AM
mojeko
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my baby is250 still in dealership. it's been 2 weeks already.
Old 05-21-12, 04:01 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Waiting to hear what is going on with my IS, i took it into the dealer again 5 days ago after letting them know of weird sounds and the shaking still occurring and they are taking their time to figure out what is up...which is good, I don't want to keep bringing the car in. Wonder what they will do if nothing was wrong with their work.

Longo Lexus has been amazing and easy to work with throughout this ordeal
Old 05-21-12, 07:04 AM
stephwin
Driver School Candidate

I dropped mine off Wednesday and it looks like they may not authorize the fix. Here is what my advisor sent me on Friday:

"We’re still test driving your car. We can feel the rough idle, however the computer isn’t picking up strong enough misfires to record them. Unless we have that data recorded to send to Lexus, we won’t be able to do the repairs. We are going to try it again tomorrow morning, hopefully it will cool off enough tonight that we can catch the misfires on a test drive and send the data off to the engineers."

Considering the dealership is telling me there is significant carbon build-up and I'm only at 40k, I'm assuming it will be a matter of time before the misfires occur anyway. I just don't want to have to go up to the dealership over and over everytime it acts up and then be told that it's not severe enough for them to do anything about it.

I just got an email from the dealership saying they finally got it to misfire over the weekend and Lexus approved the fix!

Last edited by stephwin; 05-21-12 at 10:12 AM. Reason: updating
Old 05-21-12, 10:48 AM
zen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stephwin
I dropped mine off Wednesday and it looks like they may not authorize the fix. Here is what my advisor sent me on Friday:

"We’re still test driving your car. We can feel the rough idle, however the computer isn’t picking up strong enough misfires to record them. Unless we have that data recorded to send to Lexus, we won’t be able to do the repairs. We are going to try it again tomorrow morning, hopefully it will cool off enough tonight that we can catch the misfires on a test drive and send the data off to the engineers."

Considering the dealership is telling me there is significant carbon build-up and I'm only at 40k, I'm assuming it will be a matter of time before the misfires occur anyway. I just don't want to have to go up to the dealership over and over everytime it acts up and then be told that it's not severe enough for them to do anything about it.

I just got an email from the dealership saying they finally got it to misfire over the weekend and Lexus approved the fix!
Is it for the replacement on piston/rings ? or already replaced ?
I just briefly described the condition on the car then the dealer replaced the piston/ring. Is it a must to have misfire codes for them to peform this TSIB ?
Old 05-21-12, 10:53 AM
sanadeebs
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zen
Is it a must to have misfire codes for them to peform this TSIB ?
Yes it is. Lexus will not authorize a warranty repair without a misfire code and a few more failed in-dealership tests.
Old 05-22-12, 12:06 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well today is day two back at the dealership since shaking again after the supposed piston fix. They havent seen any codes thrown with the initial tests, but more is being tested today.
Old 05-22-12, 01:19 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by is250gurl
Well today is day two back at the dealership since shaking again after the supposed piston fix. They havent seen any codes thrown with the initial tests, but more is being tested today.
After them replacing the bottom end of my motor, my car vibrates a LOT more at red lights than it did before. (awd 2007 is250)
Old 05-22-12, 08:12 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by sanadeebs
Yes it is. Lexus will not authorize a warranty repair without a misfire code and a few more failed in-dealership tests.
My car didn't have any codes but the rattling noise was audible and the dealership replaced the pistons and rings. It's quieter since the repairs.
Old 05-22-12, 10:59 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Called the service dept and got some info on my car today..... (this is ~1k miles after the piston replacement) - misfire codes showing up again, so they are gonna compression test it and have the shop foreman evaluate what to do next.
Old 05-23-12, 04:52 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
After them replacing the bottom end of my motor, my car vibrates a LOT more at red lights than it did before. (awd 2007 is250)

so does mine and they are looking at the motor mounts now.
Old 05-23-12, 04:53 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Called the service dept and got some info on my car today..... (this is ~1k miles after the piston replacement) - misfire codes showing up again, so they are gonna compression test it and have the shop foreman evaluate what to do next.

still no codes on mine so i guess it will go back again when it happens again
Old 05-23-12, 05:04 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

All of this going on is making me seriously think about trading the car in for an 08 IS350.

I love my 250, and i've got 30k left on the CPO warranty, but at the same time I don't want to be driving a loaner car for weeks at a time while my car is under the knife for carbon build up issues.

I guess i'll wait and see how this repair plays out first...
Old 05-23-12, 08:23 AM
DrO's LeX
Driver School Candidate

SO TURNS OUT I HAD TO GET PISTONS AND PISTON RINGS REPLACED ALONG WITH BRAND NEW SPARK PLUGS etc.etc. ALL BECAUSE CARBON BUILD UP!!!.....at least IT WAS FREE AND I PRACTICALLY HAVE A NEW BLOCK!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)