IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 12:21 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone used both Seafoam and GM cleaner? Which one has worked the best?
Old 06-06-12, 01:01 PM
twenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRusski
Nice! Im not a mechanic but is it possible to check if you have any carbon buildup without taking the whole engine apart? or how can we check it?
I'm really not sure... he told me he had to take my intake off to get to one side of the plugs, that's when he took a quick look to see. I'm no expert, but I would imagine it would be quite costly to have someone check to see how much carbon buildup there is in your motor. Just run seafoam through it and you should be good. I look at it as cheap insurance for my motor.
Old 06-06-12, 01:12 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So some good/bad news for the Carbon Build Up...

Bad news is that the issue was verified again with my car after the new pistons were put in, They sent off the compression test, Leak down test, misfire codes, etc to Lexus Corporate. Unfortunately, Lexus has rejected any further repairs be done at this time based on the results (even tho there was carbon build up and misfires after the pistons had been replaced). Good news? My SA believes that this might mean there is something bigger Lexus is going to do with this issue. I really hope so, because if i'm having issues after the new pistons and my claim was simply rejected for no reason, i'll be pretty upset. I'll be in contact with the service department over the next couple of months or so to see if anything new comes up.....keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 06-06-12, 01:43 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
ooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bad news is that the issue was verified again with my car after the new pistons were put in, They sent off the compression test, Leak down test, misfire codes, etc to Lexus Corporate. Unfortunately, Lexus has rejected any further repairs be done at this time based on the results (even tho there was carbon build up and misfires after the pistons had been replaced). Good news? My SA believes that this might mean there is something bigger Lexus is going to do with this issue. I really hope so, because if i'm having issues after the new pistons and my claim was simply rejected for no reason, i'll be pretty upset. I'll be in contact with the service department over the next couple of months or so to see if anything new comes up.....keeping my fingers crossed!
yes please keep us posted as mine has also had issues after the fix although i could not get it to throw any misfire codes when it went into the dealership for three days of testing.
Old 06-06-12, 02:07 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

They've had my car for over 2 weeks now I believe for testing. The great thing is that my dealership is genuinely trying to fix the issue. Unfortunately, they are at a block if corporate says no....all i'm hoping is that corporate is holding off on the repairs for a damn good reason. I really love this car and it would be a shame to have to sell it before the warranty is up because there's no good enough fix...
Old 06-06-12, 07:48 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sent in my IS250 for the same issue. And I also already had my pistons and rings replaced. I specifically asked about carbon build up prevention.....SOL.....i was told the best was to use premium top tier gas and full synthetic oil....even then it will still happen....kinda upset I paid all this for a defective engine design!
Old 06-06-12, 09:57 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Im just wondering how that one guy drove his IS250 for like 200K miles and was totally fine without carbon buildup?
Old 06-06-12, 11:04 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Originally Posted by twenty
I run seafoam through my TB + in my gas tank every time I do an oil change... I just recently had my 50k mile service done, and my mechanic said I have zero carbon buildup. He actually asked me if I run seafoam through my engine...haha
Sorry I don't know much about cars but what's TB?
Old 06-06-12, 11:27 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry I don't know much about cars but what's TB?
TB = Throttle body. Not exactly sure where it's located in the engine though. Someone have a picture?
Old 06-06-12, 11:37 PM
gemini1
FNM President

I'm dropping my car off next week for this issue.
I hope it doesn't take 2 weeks?
Old 06-07-12, 04:38 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gemini1
I'm dropping my car off next week for this issue.
I hope it doesn't take 2 weeks?
mine was two weeks also
Old 06-07-12, 04:44 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
ooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Is this the point where you call corporate directly and mention that you are considering consulting a lawyer as well as calling the auto journalist for the local paper to run your story? Given Toyota's recent past, they will do whatever is reasonable to avoid negative publicity.

The local dealer is only going to do so much for you. If TSB states that they should have replaced the lower block originally and they didn't, any subsequent labour as a result of the rework would be their cost, I can see them playing the "corporate said no" game to avoid re-doing the work.
Old 06-07-12, 07:24 AM
zen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Is this the point where you call corporate directly and mention that you are considering consulting a lawyer as well as calling the auto journalist for the local paper to run your story? Given Toyota's recent past, they will do whatever is reasonable to avoid negative publicity.

The local dealer is only going to do so much for you. If TSB states that they should have replaced the lower block originally and they didn't, any subsequent labour as a result of the rework would be their cost, I can see them playing the "corporate said no" game to avoid re-doing the work.
I doubt that's going to help since there were already articles/reports from Audi RS4, a vehicle costs 64K+ with the worse problem on engine carbon buildup in the auto journals. Also according to Lexus, the carbon buildup doesn't apply to any safety issues.

I did the oil change by myself for the first time and I added fully synthetic oil. I can feel the engine is running more smoothly than before. I think the dealership didn't put synthetic oil on my previous oil change.
Old 06-07-12, 07:58 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zen
I doubt that's going to help since there were already articles/reports from Audi RS4, a vehicle costs 64K+ with the worse problem on engine carbon buildup in the auto journals. Also according to Lexus, the carbon buildup doesn't apply to any safety issues.

I did the oil change by myself for the first time and I added fully synthetic oil. I can feel the engine is running more smoothly than before. I think the dealership didn't put synthetic oil on my previous oil change.
Every situation is different, my reply was specific to KillaIS250's situation.
Old 06-10-12, 10:34 AM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Im just wondering how that one guy drove his IS250 for like 200K miles and was totally fine without carbon buildup?
I am starting to doubt the truth about his post. He posted on here that he has an 06 250 with 250,000 miles on it with minimal problems. He said he put 250K miles on his car in 5 years doing CITY driving. Taxicabs are the only cars that could possibly put 50k miles per year in city driving. I am calling BS.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)