IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 10:54 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
I am starting to doubt the truth about his post. He posted on here that he has an 06 250 with 250,000 miles on it with minimal problems. He said he put 250K miles on his car in 5 years doing CITY driving. Taxicabs are the only cars that could possibly put 50k miles per year in city driving. I am calling BS.
He did post few pictures of his mileage to prove it, my boss got 08 thundra and hes got close to 200k miles on it just from city driving, driving all day doing bids and stuff like that, so I do believe it
Old 06-10-12, 11:00 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

Check out this video of the BG product, I think thats the only cheap solution not to stop it but maintain it as best as possible without going inside the engine, interesting vid
Old 06-10-12, 11:43 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Is this the point where you call corporate directly and mention that you are considering consulting a lawyer as well as calling the auto journalist for the local paper to run your story? Given Toyota's recent past, they will do whatever is reasonable to avoid negative publicity.

The local dealer is only going to do so much for you. If TSB states that they should have replaced the lower block originally and they didn't, any subsequent labour as a result of the rework would be their cost, I can see them playing the "corporate said no" game to avoid re-doing the work.
I'm waiting to see what happens in the next couple months (if anything) with the Carbon Build up issue. If nothing, i'll probably reach out to corporate and see what I can do. I would hate to have to sell the car. but i've been in 3 different loaner cars within the last 2 months alone because of the carbon build up issue....even my family members are starting to doubt the brand.
Old 06-12-12, 10:17 AM
Martini250
Driver School Candidate

The dealership bought my car back and I leased a 2012 IS250. I figure if this one has carbon build up, I just turn it back into the dealership at the end of my lease and it's not my problem. They gave me a smokkkkkkin deal because of what their mechanic did. I had to take my stuff out of my old car that they had in the air in the service dept. I walk in with my boyfriend and see my entire exhaust system, drive train, and engine dismantled and underneath my car. The exhaust was completely coated in a nice, thick layer of soot from the mechanic's screw up. I'm so glad I got out of that car because I know it would have led to more headaches down the road. I had twenty service records in the 8 months I had the old car... no thank you.

Love, love, love the new car.
Old 06-12-12, 12:08 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martini250
The dealership bought my car back and I leased a 2012 IS250. I figure if this one has carbon build up, I just turn it back into the dealership at the end of my lease and it's not my problem. They gave me a smokkkkkkin deal because of what their mechanic did. I had to take my stuff out of my old car that they had in the air in the service dept. I walk in with my boyfriend and see my entire exhaust system, drive train, and engine dismantled and underneath my car. The exhaust was completely coated in a nice, thick layer of soot from the mechanic's screw up. I'm so glad I got out of that car because I know it would have led to more headaches down the road. I had twenty service records in the 8 months I had the old car... no thank you.

Love, love, love the new car.
How did you get your dealer to buy your car back?? How many miles were on it?
Old 06-13-12, 06:21 AM
bcinco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheRusski
Check out this video of the BG product, I think thats the only cheap solution not to stop it but maintain it as best as possible without going inside the engine, interesting vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biM5-GW4CLQ
Don't hate me for the plug, but check out Part II as well. It was crazy how much smoke spewed from the exhaust. Would it work for your vehicles? I'm not sure, but I'm game to give it a shot if anyone is interested.

Old 06-13-12, 07:05 AM
zen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bcinco
Don't hate me for the plug, but check out Part II as well. It was crazy how much smoke spewed from the exhaust. Would it work for your vehicles? I'm not sure, but I'm game to give it a shot if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JvCt...feature=relmfu
I thought the smokes should be black from carbon deposit when it blows out the exhaust, in the video it seems white smokes come out. is it just clean the fuel injectors ?
There are many cars with DI engines, some just need to remove the intake manifold to clean the intake valves, like BMW N54/N55 used in 135,335 etc. I think it's a little more work for the IS250.
Old 06-13-12, 07:55 AM
bcinco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zen
I thought the smokes should be black from carbon deposit when it blows out the exhaust, in the video it seems white smokes come out. is it just clean the fuel injectors ?
There are many cars with DI engines, some just need to remove the intake manifold to clean the intake valves, like BMW N54/N55 used in 135,335 etc. I think it's a little more work for the IS250.
I don't know the science and chemistry behind what color exhaust gases exit the vehicle. This system does not only clean the injectors, in fact the fluid added to the VIA does not go through the injectors at all. The VW 2.0T FSI, repeat FSI, engine suffers from carbon buildup as well. People have taken apart the intake manifold to manually clean the valves, but it is labor intensive.
Old 06-13-12, 10:33 AM
Martini250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob4256
How did you get your dealer to buy your car back?? How many miles were on it?
I posted the situation a few posts back. It was a 2008 IS50 with 54,500 miles. I brought my car in for the engine tear down and three weeks later I picked my car up. It was smoking out of the tailpipes when I started the car so I called my service adviser and he said it was normal and just the chemicals from the cleaning burning off. I went on a test drive with my mechanic right after I got the car back because my alignment was off when I took my car back and the steering column was creaking when I turned right. Dude smelled like weed really bad. I told my SA when we got back and had faith he'd take care of it. I brought it in after three weeks and demanded they keep it and figure out what was going on but they had to do another tear down to find the problem. Pistons 1 and 3 were filled with oil. My mechanic had piston 1's rings lined up perfectly when they should be staggered by 120 degrees, piston 2's rings were in upside down, there was gas in my oil, and oil was coming out of my tailpipe. I knew the exhaust system had to be all throughout the exhaust system if there was oil coming out of the tailpipe and the engine could have long-term damage that was caused by their mechanic who was most likely high during the reassembly. Therefore, I demanded a buyback.
Old 06-13-12, 03:15 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martini250
I posted the situation a few posts back. It was a 2008 IS50 with 54,500 miles. I brought my car in for the engine tear down and three weeks later I picked my car up. It was smoking out of the tailpipes when I started the car so I called my service adviser and he said it was normal and just the chemicals from the cleaning burning off. I went on a test drive with my mechanic right after I got the car back because my alignment was off when I took my car back and the steering column was creaking when I turned right. Dude smelled like weed really bad. I told my SA when we got back and had faith he'd take care of it. I brought it in after three weeks and demanded they keep it and figure out what was going on but they had to do another tear down to find the problem. Pistons 1 and 3 were filled with oil. My mechanic had piston 1's rings lined up perfectly when they should be staggered by 120 degrees, piston 2's rings were in upside down, there was gas in my oil, and oil was coming out of my tailpipe. I knew the exhaust system had to be all throughout the exhaust system if there was oil coming out of the tailpipe and the engine could have long-term damage that was caused by their mechanic who was most likely high during the reassembly. Therefore, I demanded a buyback.
DAMN. What dealership was that??
Old 06-13-12, 05:20 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Originally Posted by bcinco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JvCt...feature=relmfu
Thanks! I'm def going to try this procedure!
Old 06-13-12, 06:23 PM
Martini250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
DAMN. What dealership was that??
One in the south bay in CA.
Old 06-14-12, 01:27 PM
lextek475
Driver School Candidate

nope your wrong it is caused by carbon biting, (carbon lands between exhaust valve and seat) causing exhaust leak, low compression and eventully a missfire.
Old 06-14-12, 01:42 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the cleaning manually at a garage isn't it the easiest way to deal with it or i should be worried? btw my friend sprayed something he called "intake cleaner" in my intake valve and saw black smoke coming our of the exhaust not that much though..
Old 06-14-12, 05:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lextek475
nope your wrong it is caused by carbon biting, (carbon lands between exhaust valve and seat) causing exhaust leak, low compression and eventully a missfire.
Except the carbon buildup problem is on the intake valve.

Which is why it only happens to the 250, not the 350.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)