IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 05:39 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT: turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Apparently it has nothing to do with the Carbon build up problem.

Last edited by MIA_LEX; 06-29-12 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 05:42 AM
bcinco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Great job man, did you have the injection tool? Do you also have a tool to hold the throttle or did you press it with your legs.

I suggested everyone to do this every 12k instead of bugging the dealer to tear the engine apart over and over.??
I bought the tool used from my local BG rep, but honestly if someone was crafty they could make one. If I had the skills I'd make one that could hold 3 cans of the chemical and let it run full blast for 25 minutes.

I just stepped on the gas, but I'm thinking of finding a block of wood or something and wedging it between the seat and the pedal and adjust it accordingly.

I do plan on opening the thing up, but I haven't had the time as of late.
Old 06-26-12, 07:07 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
my fukin whip was backfiring last night at 2:00 am ****ing rediculous... Im getting sick of this ****. For 66K my car ran fine... couple shakes here and there but never have i experience what happened last night... my car barely turned over... backfired when it finally did. started driving and it backfired as it changed gears, and then i accelerated to 50 mph and it wouldnt go above 3k in 3rd gear.. it sounded like it was bouncing off the rev limiter at 3k rpms... i swear Lexus had something to do with it my car ran fine until i let them touch my enigine. I feel the TSIB is worthless!
Which is why I am not bringing it in unless the engine fails or is at the very end of the the warranty coverage.
I do not trust anybody to open up an engine and put it back together again, correctly.
Old 06-26-12, 08:47 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

lexus wants 1500 for the fuel pump... that aint happening...
Old 06-29-12, 07:51 AM
IS250mr2
Driver School Candidate

Well, looks like the BG is the only real BANDAID for this solution as of right now. I really only wanted to just do maintenance on my car not hers too. I've never touched these cars but would you guys say its not hard to work on? Plenty of DIY here on this forum? Oh yeah, she just got her 2010 IS250 back from the dealer for the pistion recall. She says it runs good and they didn't mess it up. THANK GOD! Were going to go with the method use chevron techron gas ( yes I've been reading but doesn't hurt to try also), BG once a year, and drive it hard. You guys are great. Thanks.
Old 06-29-12, 09:58 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
Which is why I am not bringing it in unless the engine fails or is at the very end of the the warranty coverage.
I do not trust anybody to open up an engine and put it back together again, correctly.
His following issue was related to a bad fuel pump, not on the work done to rectify the carbon build up issue. Why wouldn't you trust anybody to put it back together correctly, don't you think that it didn't happen the same way at the factory?

For everyone that is concerned about opening an engine, there is nothing magical about it. The engine has various "covers" that shield the internal components from contamination and prevent internal fluids to leak out. Mechanics have instruction manuals and training to take those covers out, replace components, replace the gaskets, put the covers back and test the whole thing again. Nothing special here, and this has been done 1000's of times in the history of the internal combustion engine. The need for this type of work has gone down as the reliability of engines has improved, but some issues just need this type of repair to be done. Just make sure you ask for an ASE/Lexus Master Technician to do the work when talking to the dealer, and if they don't agree to guarantee that, find another dealer that will.
Old 06-30-12, 10:11 AM
Martini250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
His following issue was related to a bad fuel pump, not on the work done to rectify the carbon build up issue. Why wouldn't you trust anybody to put it back together correctly, don't you think that it didn't happen the same way at the factory?

For everyone that is concerned about opening an engine, there is nothing magical about it. The engine has various "covers" that shield the internal components from contamination and prevent internal fluids to leak out. Mechanics have instruction manuals and training to take those covers out, replace components, replace the gaskets, put the covers back and test the whole thing again. Nothing special here, and this has been done 1000's of times in the history of the internal combustion engine. The need for this type of work has gone down as the reliability of engines has improved, but some issues just need this type of repair to be done. Just make sure you ask for an ASE/Lexus Master Technician to do the work when talking to the dealer, and if they don't agree to guarantee that, find another dealer that will.
I tried to have the same mindset as you- they are professionals and are representing Lexus and therefore are responsible for any work done. I toyed with the idea for a long time and finally decided to bite the bullet and do the rebuild. My RPM's weren't going past 2k when it would have an "episode." The mechanic ROYALLY effed up my car by putting one set of piston rings in upside down and another set was lined up instead of being staggered by 120 degrees. This allowed for oil to get inside everything and gas ended up in my oil. It was so bad that oil was coming out of my tailpipe. I made them buy the car back and am now driving a leased 2012 IS250. The smokin deal they gave me on the new car was too good to pass up. I know it still has carbon build up issues but I'm out of it in three years so it's not my problem.

TL;DR- Proceed with caution. It may not be perfect when you get the car back so weigh your options. Is it really bad enough right now to risk messing it up further?
Old 06-30-12, 10:47 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Martini250
I tried to have the same mindset as you- they are professionals and are representing Lexus and therefore are responsible for any work done. I toyed with the idea for a long time and finally decided to bite the bullet and do the rebuild. My RPM's weren't going past 2k when it would have an "episode." The mechanic ROYALLY effed up my car by putting one set of piston rings in upside down and another set was lined up instead of being staggered by 120 degrees. This allowed for oil to get inside everything and gas ended up in my oil. It was so bad that oil was coming out of my tailpipe. I made them buy the car back and am now driving a leased 2012 IS250. The smokin deal they gave me on the new car was too good to pass up. I know it still has carbon build up issues but I'm out of it in three years so it's not my problem.

TL;DR- Proceed with caution. It may not be perfect when you get the car back so weigh your options. Is it really bad enough right now to risk messing it up further?
You ended up with a bad mechanic, and according to you, he may have been under the influence when he did the test drive with you. That is the exception, rather than the rule. This being a dedicated site, it is a magnet for anyone that has complaints, yet you don't hear from the 1000's who may have gotten the work done properly and don't even think twice about it afterwards. You are right though, buyer beware, even if Lexus is paying for the work through warranty coverage, you still need to shop around for the right dealership with the right staff to do the work properly.
Old 06-30-12, 01:40 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I contacted my SA again to see if anything has come up from corporate in regards to this issue, nothing. In the mean time, my IS (that had a verified carbon issue 1k miles after the new pistons) is back at home with me being driven like it is. =/
Old 06-30-12, 07:45 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I contacted my SA again to see if anything has come up from corporate in regards to this issue, nothing. In the mean time, my IS (that had a verified carbon issue 1k miles after the new pistons) is back at home with me being driven like it is. =/
Same here my 2008 IS250 had the pistons replaced and I still have the same carbon buildup issues as before. I am really disappointed in my lexus so far. Missing my old RX300....that new F-Sport RX called my name in a commercial I saw on TV last night! I had a lot less issue with my RX than this IS!
Old 06-30-12, 08:00 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You need to contact corporate yourself. State your case, be firm, polite and mention that you have options but rather work things out within the terms of the warranty instead of outside of them unless they force you that route. The dealer has already told you what their answer to them is, the ball is now in your court. There are lemon laws in CA?
Old 07-01-12, 03:04 PM
bfedro427
Rookie

Sounds like a deal
Old 07-01-12, 03:06 PM
bfedro427
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
Same here my 2008 IS250 had the pistons replaced and I still have the same carbon buildup issues as before. I am really disappointed in my lexus so far. Missing my old RX300....that new F-Sport RX called my name in a commercial I saw on TV last night! I had a lot less issue with my RX than this IS!
This is precisely why I am looking for an alternative DD. I have tried to get the local dealership to fix the hesitation on my car on 2 different occasions. Both times the problem "could not be replicated."
Old 07-01-12, 04:28 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
You need to contact corporate yourself. State your case, be firm, polite and mention that you have options but rather work things out within the terms of the warranty instead of outside of them unless they force you that route. The dealer has already told you what their answer to them is, the ball is now in your court. There are lemon laws in CA?
Yep that is exactly what I am trying to do. I have been doing my homework and everything on the warranty and going over what has exactly gone on with my car the past few times it's been in the shop. I'm hoping Lexus will do something for me even though they have rejected repairs previously. All I want realistically is the issue fixed and a goodwill extension of my warranty for future assurance. I love the car and really would like to keep it.
Old 07-02-12, 01:00 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

isn't that covered under powertrain wty upto 70K?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)