IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 09:47 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is everyone using the Seafoam only in the gas tank in the IS250? If you are putting it directly in the engine, could you please provide pics as to where exactly you do this?
Old 08-06-12, 05:46 AM
meis250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there, I have used Seafoam in the gas tank (07 IS250) a couple of times knowing that it does something (I did not notice anything). When changing the plugs my mechanic also used Seafoam to clean up the carbon buildup around the intake valves. That made a difference.

Before last oil change, I have added 1/3 can of seafoam in the oil and run the engine for about 1.5h, I would say no more than 10-15km (10 miles), the rest at idle.

Then changed the oil and I can say the engine runs smoother with the clean oil. I assume whatever was deposited in the engine ( I do not believe it was much) came out with the old oil.

And that's about all my experience with Seafoam. I am planning to use the spray seafoam to clean the intake valves every 20k, part of regular maintenance (as shown on their website)

Good luck
Old 08-06-12, 06:39 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Theres a spray made by dodge/mopar that is just like seafoam but it foams up. I am planning on spraying into the valves and pistons this foam and letting it sit over night.
Old 08-07-12, 06:00 PM
M32H32IS
Rookie

Friend of mine with an 06 just had his diagnosed yesterday and is working with Northside Lexus here in Houston TX to have his replaced at no charge. Will keep ev1 posted on results.
Old 08-08-12, 06:16 PM
Tcooper3
Driver School Candidate

Just took my 07 is250 in for rough idling and they are calling in a Lexus rep to look into it and see if it is indeed carbon build up. My service rep told me if it's the case then they would be keeping the car for about 3wks. Its kind of frustrating being that I just bought the car a month ago, it has 85k miles on it. I guess I was lucky to buy an extended warranty. They were nice enough to give me a 2011 gs450h to drive but it's still disheartening. I expected more out of a Lexus/Toyota

Last edited by Tcooper3; 08-14-12 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Update: it is carbon build up, they are changing the pistons and valves. Has anyone had this done and is this a fix?
Old 08-10-12, 08:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is an enlightening post I found over at BITOG. Sort of explains why Lexus is going after changing the piston rings

Sulfated ash is measured by treating the oil with sulfuric acid and then igniting the mixture. The residue is then measured. Oils that produce ash of 0.1% or lower are considered ashless; up to 0.6% are classed as low ash, 0.7-1% medium ash and over 1% is a high ash oil.

Engine designers have begun to look at SA as a factor in combustion chamber deposits and the precursors of emission problems. The presence of more than the optimal amount can cause excessive deposits on various parts, which can result in reduced heat transfer, pre-ignition or detonation, or both, ring sticking or breaking, plug fouling, and valve burning. This became a focus during the development of CJ-4 oils for diesels which requires low ash content to assist with the efficiency of after treatment emission systems (DPF AND SCR systems). These systems rely on clean burning in combustion chambers to minimize harmful emissions. It is not surprising that this will affect gasoline and direct injection engines in a similar way, with medium - low ash oils being preferred by engine manufacturers in these cases.

It will be interesting to see what develops in terms of ashless detergents and how they are applied. Various types of calcium sulfonate is one of the most commonly used detergents in commercial additive packages, and removing them could cause many formulators big head aches. The difficulty is that detergents prevent sludge and varnish in the crankcase, but when burned in the cylinders or when experiencing blow-by it can cause deposits. The presence of these detergents is usually identified by the calcium number found on your UOA.
and this from Mobil1
"Thanks for your message, Mike. We appreciate the feedback. A slight reduction in ash is desirable for advanced engine technology such as gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine and passenger car diesel engines. With GDI engines, higher levels of ash appear to result in a higher occurrence of Low Speed Pre-Ignition. The industry is currently developing tests and specifications to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition. In the future, passenger car engine oil specifications such as ILSAC GF-6 and dexos1 (next generation) are likely to have requirements such as lower ash to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition.

As for TBN retention, it is only a single parameter that provides an indication of the used oil condition. A reduction in TBN is an indication that the overbased detergent is doing its job by neutralizing acids that form as a result of combustion. TBN should be used in combination with other used oil parameters such as oxidation, nitration, TAN (Total Acid Number), ICP metals, D4684 MRV viscosity, and D445 kinematic viscosity to determine the overall condition of the used oil.

Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

We hope this information was both helpful and informative. Thanks again for reaching out, and for your continued support of Mobil 1."

Last edited by chikoo; 08-10-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 11:44 PM
rsg
Pole Position

I get the symptoms of carbon buildup about once a week. I took my car to the dealer for it but the problem could not be replicated. I have 38k miles left on my CPO warranty which I will reach in 2 years. I am wondering if I should hold off on doing Seafoam/Techron treatments because doing so might only push more serious problems until after my warranty ends. What do you guys think?
Old 08-12-12, 07:57 AM
azndriver
Driver

This looks promising:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44180622/toyotafuelcleaner.pdf
Old 08-12-12, 11:58 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rsg
I get the symptoms of carbon buildup about once a week. I took my car to the dealer for it but the problem could not be replicated. I have 38k miles left on my CPO warranty which I will reach in 2 years. I am wondering if I should hold off on doing Seafoam/Techron treatments because doing so might only push more serious problems until after my warranty ends. What do you guys think?
You need to decide that for yourself.
If your Seafoam/BG44K process helps and symptoms arise only after 35-40k of use, and you can live with it, good for you. I would not have the part time engine mechanics open up my engine and risk making a mess that I cannot live with.

Before anybody comes up in defence of the LExus mechanics, let me tell you that even though they are trained and ASE certified, I am certain they do not exclusively work on tearing down and building up engines day in and day out. I for one am going forward with a BG induction cleaning process rather than risk the tear down and rebuild.

Your call. You will have to live with it.
Old 08-12-12, 12:50 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azndriver
No fuel additive will solve the issue. The problem happens where the gasoline don't go!
Old 08-12-12, 03:50 PM
azndriver
Driver

Originally Posted by mrraider
No fuel additive will solve the issue. The problem happens where the gasoline don't go!
SHould have been more specific in that article, I was focusing more on the

toyota combustion and efi system service section
Old 08-13-12, 09:41 AM
kramerlex
Driver School Candidate

I have 2007 IS250 and I experienced low idle a few months back and it happend a couple of times when i would be at a red light. I finally took into the dealership and they said nothing showed up in the "memory" so there is nothing they can do. I live i Toronto and apparntly the service advisor never heard of the carbon bulit up issue. Do they have to get an "error" code for them to change the values/pistions?

I bought my car in the States and they always seem to give me headaches in Toronto cuz it's a US car. Lexus USA tells me since the cars is registered in Canada now it falls under Lexus Canada so they would have to approve the repairs on the carbon build up. But the local dealers have never heard of this issue and don't see a TSB from Lexus Canada on it so basically telling me to take a hike. I'm at 60k miles so i got another 10k to go before my warranty is over. Anyone else now if what i am being told is true? Anyone from Canada with a US car have the same problem?
Old 08-13-12, 09:57 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kramerlex
I have 2007 IS250 and I experienced low idle a few months back and it happend a couple of times when i would be at a red light. I finally took into the dealership and they said nothing showed up in the "memory" so there is nothing they can do. I live i Toronto and apparntly the service advisor never heard of the carbon bulit up issue. Do they have to get an "error" code for them to change the values/pistions?

I bought my car in the States and they always seem to give me headaches in Toronto cuz it's a US car. Lexus USA tells me since the cars is registered in Canada now it falls under Lexus Canada so they would have to approve the repairs on the carbon build up. But the local dealers have never heard of this issue and don't see a TSB from Lexus Canada on it so basically telling me to take a hike. I'm at 60k miles so i got another 10k to go before my warranty is over. Anyone else now if what i am being told is true? Anyone from Canada with a US car have the same problem?
Yes, they have to pull a code to do the piston replacement. It's a required step, they have to verify you're having the carbon build up symptoms and having a misfire code is part of it.
Old 08-13-12, 10:00 AM
rsg
Pole Position

Will Lexus void my CPO warranty if I changed the spark plugs at 63k instead of 60k?
Old 08-13-12, 10:07 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsg
Will Lexus void my CPO warranty if I changed the spark plugs at 63k instead of 60k?
No they will not. I didn't get my plugs changed at the dealer till about 70k when they replaced the pistons and still have my CPO warranty.

Simply not doing a service on time, or even skipping a service, does not void the CPO warranty.
Spark plugs are a critical part of the emissions warranty though, I believe. Not doing them can void that warranty in the event an emissions related component fails.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 08-13-12 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)