IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 12:39 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Orozco27
so if you WOT a few times a week does it helps the chances from not getting carbon build up?
Thats pretty much what i do. I don't know if it actually helps the issue, but i have ~72000 miles on my 2006 is250 and no issues with the engine outside of the very rare engine idle freakout that is well documented here.
Old 09-09-12, 12:48 AM
Orozco27
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
Thats pretty much what i do. I don't know if it actually helps the issue, but i have ~72000 miles on my 2006 is250 and no issues with the engine outside of the very rare engine idle freakout that is well documented here.
yea same here i have 78,000 and ive never experienced it happen to me
Old 09-09-12, 05:51 AM
diablo1714
Driver

BG Products sells a specific "Gasoline Direct Injection" cleaner system.
http://www.bgprod.com/news/GDI.html

Has anyone used this ?
Old 09-09-12, 06:50 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1714
BG Products sells a specific "Gasoline Direct Injection" cleaner system.
http://www.bgprod.com/news/GDI.html

Has anyone used this ?
Yes, it's what most dealers use to do the decarb of the valves. Before it was realized that it's only a temp. solution. Works the same as the GM Top Engine Cleaner. Remove the intake, rotate crank to close valves, pour it in and let it soak, scrub, suck out, then pour in step 2 which is basically peroxide, scrub, suck out. Change oil. Reassemble, drive out.

There are 2 types of IS250:

Those with new rings and pistons, and those that will be getting them.
Old 09-10-12, 09:04 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this related to sometimes your car feels like its about to stall when coming to a stop? (confirmed this bit from the first post)

What about critically low engine oil warning?
Old 09-10-12, 10:58 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Is this related to sometimes your car feels like its about to stall when coming to a stop? (confirmed this bit from the first post)

What about critically low engine oil warning?
Yes, the carbon build up is related to the shake or near-stalling you feel when coming to a stop. But if you have a critical low engine oil light coming on, that's a different issue. Stop ASAP if you get that low engine oil light and check your oil level.
Old 09-10-12, 12:56 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay cool, thanks. I've been having the near stall issue for the past 20k mile or so (I am at 95k miles). Didn't think anything of it until a while back right when my maintenance light comes on, the critically low engine oil came on too.

I was 45 miles away on some rural highway so I had no choice but to bring the car home for 45 miles with the engine oil light on. Took it to the dealer right away and with no oil leaks whatsoever, my oil was 3 quarts too low. Now I am bringing the car back for oil consumption test, the dealer told me I may have to get my engine tear down in a worst case scenario.
Old 09-12-12, 08:17 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yes, the carbon build up is related to the shake or near-stalling you feel when coming to a stop. But if you have a critical low engine oil light coming on, that's a different issue. Stop ASAP if you get that low engine oil light and check your oil level.
i went to the dealership in regards to the carbon build up and explained how when i started the engine and after 2 mins pulling up to a red light the engine would shake a little, and sometimes idles very roughly. he says the dealership wont do anything to the car unless there is an engine error code stored or something shows up. is that true?
Old 09-13-12, 01:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
i went to the dealership in regards to the carbon build up and explained how when i started the engine and after 2 mins pulling up to a red light the engine would shake a little, and sometimes idles very roughly. he says the dealership wont do anything to the car unless there is an engine error code stored or something shows up. is that true?
Yeah for most dealerships, you are gonna need the car to throw a code or something else to get the issue escalated and repaired. Part of the requirement in the TSIB is to have some sort of code along with the issue. Some dealers will actually work with the car and try to get it to misfire for the issue, but most will just tell you to come back when you get a misfire/code. There was a post on here somewhere where someone did a little explanation of how to get the code to register if you are really having the carbon build up issue, but unable to get a code.
Old 09-13-12, 02:08 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yeah for most dealerships, you are gonna need the car to throw a code or something else to get the issue escalated and repaired. Part of the requirement in the TSIB is to have some sort of code along with the issue. Some dealers will actually work with the car and try to get it to misfire for the issue, but most will just tell you to come back when you get a misfire/code. There was a post on here somewhere where someone did a little explanation of how to get the code to register if you are really having the carbon build up issue, but unable to get a code.
Can anyone tell me what page this post was on? Or a link?
Old 10-13-12, 02:06 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Did anyone else get the letter about this from lexus that i did?

Said it's covered for 9 years with no restriction on mileage, and if you already paid for the service, they'll refund you!
Old 10-14-12, 01:25 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Did anyone else get the letter about this from lexus that i did?

Said it's covered for 9 years with no restriction on mileage, and if you already paid for the service, they'll refund you!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ld-up-csp.html
Old 10-14-12, 12:04 PM
richf
Rookie

I got the upgraded pistons a while ago, and now I get the issue once every couple weeks (no code thrown).

What is the next course of action?
Old 10-16-12, 06:27 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richf
I got the upgraded pistons a while ago, and now I get the issue once every couple weeks (no code thrown).

What is the next course of action?
Mine is doing it too occasionally. I've told the dealer and nothing for now it seems is being done since it's not throwing codes, just rough shaky idle again from time to time.
Old 10-16-12, 06:38 AM
richf
Rookie

Originally Posted by is250gurl
Mine is doing it too occasionally. I've told the dealer and nothing for now it seems is being done since it's not throwing codes, just rough shaky idle again from time to time.
Damn. It's alright though, probably about once a month for me and I drive over 60 miles a day during the week.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)