IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 11:23 AM
FRSure
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they fix the problem in the 2014 IS250 model?
Old 08-25-16, 12:13 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRSure
Did they fix the problem in the 2014 IS250 model?
Most likely not as they still have the same engine as the previous 2nd generation.

From 2016 and up, they used a different engine with turbo so the model designation became IS200t

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 08-25-16 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Model year typo correction.
Old 01-26-17, 01:46 PM
swass
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone with 2011+ models update this thread about the carbon issues that may have come up, and at how many miles?
Old 05-10-17, 06:57 PM
emcauto
Driver School Candidate

Smile bumo

interested in the above question as well? thank you
Old 05-10-17, 08:45 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Question on the "9 year" warranty extension. My manufacture date is Nov 2007 (its a 2008 model year), not sure on the sale date.
Car had 69k on it when I bought it, and now has 95k on it. In those miles, I have had the hard idle/shimmy twice at stoplights. Never had a CEL for it though.
I recently did a sparkplug replacement and while I had the top opened I sprayed some seafoam inside. After I put it back together I did a seafoam treatment through the vacuum lines. It had some misfires during/shortly after the treatment, generated a cylinder 1 CEL and once even a random misfire code, but shutting her off an restarting caused them to go away and I have had no evidence of any issues in the past few weeks while driving. I'll probably need a walnut blast at some point if I keep it. But my question is about the actual 9 year cut off.
Is it at 9th year from sale date, or are you still covered through year 9 until the 10th "birthday"? If so I got 6 months, if not I'm 6 months over, which sucks.
Also, has anyone had luck getting Lexus to cover it by writing a letter, just in case I do need it?
Old 10-13-17, 09:51 AM
IWasHungry
Driver School Candidate

Has anybody had success convincing Lexus to cover L-SB-0029-10 on a 2010 or newer IS250?

My 2010 IS250 AWD w/ 80k's VIN is just new enough to not be covered by L-SB-0029-10 and I haven't experienced rough idle yet, but wanted to get the engine cleaned and install a catch can before issues begin.

I'll try to convince Lexus to pay for it in the next couple of weeks, wish me luck
Old 10-13-17, 10:17 AM
iJHolmes
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 07 is250 with 193k miles (picked it up for 4K great condition, I thought why not. How often do you have to worry about the build up on the 250?
Old 10-15-17, 12:15 AM
Kikiwhanki
Driver School Candidate

I hate the carbon build up our Lexus IS is always having. Apart from that, it's a smooth ride! But i learnt that these cars dont need you to pamper them on the high way, drive the hell out of it so all the build up can melt away while it is hot. Mine is yet to build up carbon though, just did about 1,300KM(807.7825 Miles) journey and still fine like wine. Strength of a V6!

Last edited by Kikiwhanki; 10-15-17 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Just!
Old 10-16-17, 06:46 AM
ssgpate
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Carbon build up is going to happen with direct injection.. Ive read some crazy stuff in here such as going WOT to reduce or burn off carbon.....Carbon in simple terms is like a bad stain that wont come off by introducing WOT pressures over the valves and in the cylinders. If the heat our engines produced would also clean them then they would never get dirty so a little extra heat will not help either.. Do not be out blowing the wheels off your car going wide open throttle thinking this will help because it will not. Going WOT is just introducing more oily air over the valves at a faster rate.. Its not going to MELT off anything or do anything productive for you..

Install a properly designed catch can this will REDUCE the amount of oil going over the valves and extend the intervals in between valves cleanings.

If you like your car have it walnut blasted every so often and forget about it... Walnut blasting will completely remove all deposits and give you a like new surface which will make the car run great. Running cleaners through will not clean off all the carbon its just putting a band aid on it and waste money. Ive tried all the cleaners and the volume of cleaners you would need to run over the valves to actually get them clean and not BANDAID them would not be worth the effort and expense. Letting the valves soak over night is an option but then again this would take you a couple days because all the valves cannot be closed at the same time to keep the fluid in them to soak which is why I recommend walnut blasting.
Old 10-27-17, 01:28 PM
IWasHungry
Driver School Candidate

No luck getting dealership to help pay for top engine cleaning, it ended up costing me 800. I also replaced the oil with some 5W-20 synthetic Amsoil (don't know what oil was used before- just got the car)
Engine feels a little more powerful/responsive now, even sounds slightly different. Too early to say if mileage is affected, but I was getting 18-22mpg before which is pretty low for an AWD IS250.

The service rep at the Lexus dealership recommended occasional hard driving, good quality gas, and occasional engine/injector cleaner in the gas to reduce carbon build-up. He also said to get a top engine cleaning every 30-50k.
Old 10-27-17, 06:36 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by IWasHungry
No luck getting dealership to help pay for top engine cleaning, it ended up costing me 800.
Were you experiencing any issues with the car?
Old 10-29-17, 10:39 PM
IWasHungry
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Were you experiencing any issues with the car?
Some RPM floating when idling after a long drive and an occasional heavy vibration/small shudder.

Reading around it seemed like a good idea to get the engine cleaned to prevent more serious problems.
Old 01-10-18, 01:56 PM
chrismcnie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Warranty for this issue in Canada has been extended from 6 years / 110,000km to 9 years / unlimited km as per warranty administration bulletin (WAB) 2086.

Hopefully that helps some people with the issue.

Jeff
I called Lexus Canada and they have no information on this WAB. Everything I see says this coverage was for the US only. Could you give me more information?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-10-18, 04:08 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrismcnie
I called Lexus Canada and they have no information on this WAB. Everything I see says this coverage was for the US only. Could you give me more information?

Thanks,

Chris
Lexus Canada will not acknowledge this. You have to push hard at dealerships. Then they will make you go through oil tests for another 6-8 months. At the end of it, they'll say that your oil consumption is within range, then thats when you have to raise your voice a bit, then they'll do it.
Old 07-10-19, 08:28 AM
MxdMenace
10th Gear

Hi CL!

3IS owner here with a 205 IS250. Exact same symptoms as the older IS’s and the dealership cannot understand what is happening.

Any other 3IS 250 owners here experiencing the same issue? Vehicle has 70k km (Canada) and all plugs and packs replaced. Issue still comes up (p306)

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)