IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 IS 350 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 02:34 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 IS 350 Starting Problem

When I push the start button the car almost starts just momentarily (a second or so) then stops. I try again and sometimes starts and other times have to try a few more times before it will remain running. It does not do this consistently because other times it starts normally. Does seem to appear to do it more often when its cold outside. It will also do this even when the engine has been warmed up. Cranks fine just won't remain running. What do you think?

Tom
Old 02-24-10, 02:58 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this happens to me when i disconnect my negative terminal on my battery, but it only takes me one time to turn over
Old 02-24-10, 04:04 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mileage? How long has it been like this? Did the problem appear all sudden? Any service on spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter? Still using the original battery? There are a lot info needed before I can start to guess your problem.

I dont think you will get any good answer from here. For your safty, take it to your local dealership for an check up. It prolly cost a bit more at dealership, but at least you will get it fixed there for sure.
Old 02-24-10, 04:15 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISterguy
When I push the start button the car almost starts just momentarily (a second or so) then stops. I try again and sometimes starts and other times have to try a few more times before it will remain running. It does not do this consistently because other times it starts normally. Does seem to appear to do it more often when its cold outside. It will also do this even when the engine has been warmed up. Cranks fine just won't remain running. What do you think?

Tom
Not sure this is your issue, but when I first got mine I was getting very similar, intermittent behavior. I realized I was holding the start button down like you would an ignition key instead of a simple push/release. Once I started releasing the button immediately after pushing, it went away.
Old 02-24-10, 06:52 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.
Mileage - 24500
Almost since I got it 10/26/09 with 19500 miles - seems to be getting worse.
No spark plug changes
I don't know about the fuel filter - records show never replaced same with battery
Air filter replaced at 19200
Old 02-24-10, 06:56 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

I think I was doing the quick push and still had the problem so I have now tried holding it in longer with the same results. I'll try this again though.
Old 02-24-10, 06:57 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -
Forum Moderator

Received 121 Likes on 48 Posts

Take it in to service if you think your not holding the button too long
Old 02-24-10, 07:07 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Mine did that when the battery was almost dead.
Old 02-24-10, 07:31 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

I would take it to the dealer, but it does sound like the battery... Take it to your local autozone and they should be able to test it for you.
Old 02-25-10, 02:36 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

The two probables are:
Battery or fuel boost pump
I feel it may be the battery because I had just driven the car about 5 miles and shut it off while I waited for my son for about 40 min and listened to the radio (ML system) this whole time with it at times cranked-up. I then tied to start the car and it took six attempts. The thing is when it does crank it does with no sluggishness or light dimming.
I have to in for an oil change so I have made an appointment with Sewell Lexus in Dallas and will have them check it out. I also need them to look into dash rattles (mainly when cold - drivers side) but also on just rough roads which hopefully will be covered by some TSB that I can't find.
Old 02-25-10, 02:38 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

my cousin's car did that, and it ended being the battery. quick charge at kragen's and she was good to go again.
Old 02-25-10, 03:38 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I was doing the quick push and still had the problem so I have now tried holding it in longer with the same results. I'll try this again though.
Holding it longer will cause the behavior you're seeing. Quick push/release is the proper starting method.
Old 03-04-10, 04:47 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

OK I had Sewell Lexus take a look at this and they replaced the push start switch. The service rep told me they have seen this problem show up before and this was the culprit. I won't hold my breath on this. I will let you all know if this doesn't fix it. On another problem - rattles in dash instrument cluster (on rough road surfaces) and dash scrapes against windshield when cold (less than 40°F) they fixed this with the TISB that was issued to address this problem. So far so good - no rattles.

Tom
Old 06-21-11, 08:14 PM
Tarmac04
Driver School Candidate

OK I had Sewell Lexus take a look at this and they replaced the push start switch. The service rep told me they have seen this problem show up before and this was the culprit. I won't hold my breath on this. I will let you all know if this doesn't fix it. On another problem - rattles in dash instrument cluster (on rough road surfaces) and dash scrapes against windshield when cold (less than 40°F) they fixed this with the TISB that was issued to address this problem. So far so good - no rattles.

Tom
Hey Tom,

What you describe is probably going to be my issue. How much $ was the switch??

THanks
Old 06-27-11, 12:17 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

It was under warranty still. Did not pay a dime.

Quick Reply: 06 IS 350 Starting Problem