IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Think Lexus made the IS350 so "un-mod friendly" on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 01:16 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are lucky for having an IS350 lol.
Old 02-25-10, 02:19 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by windex
Was my 2IS was a a race car? but it was ****ing fast for what it was and no one can deny that... I used to street race (before I lost my license to a completely unrelated incident). when I brought it out people were so blown away that a lexus could do what mine did. no one believed me that it wasnt on nitrous... so being accused of it I put it on nitrous and blew people away all over again.

regardless of whether or not the car is "mod friendly" its pretty fast for being a luxury sports car.... funny story when I was test driving my car I hadn't made it a block before I got pulled over... I turned around and signed the papers right there.
Don't worry about the arrogant and mostly ignorant comment's on the IS's performance...

When I put the car against equally and even sometimes un-equal (better cars) opponents, it held its own very well.

People who actually run their cars, like you and I. Would know this.
Old 02-25-10, 04:14 AM
BTLS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply put, I believe that that's the beauty of our cars. Regardless of what "image" our cars might have from being a Lexus, it can mold itself to whatever the driver wants it to be. Guys like Windex and t0e should be proof that the 2is can transcend a lot of what people expect from a Lexus; even within a reasonable financial limit. And on the other side of the spectrum the 2is is a great platform for everyday family-friendly driving, if not one of the best in its class (my own personal opinion of course).

Just my 2 cents. But as a fan of the tuner world I do wish that our cars could be a bit more "mod-friendly" to see them more often pushed to the limit on professional circuits like the D1 Grand Prix or the Super GT series. But that's just my inner teenage ricerboy talking

Sidenote: Sorry if some of my post is sort of incoherent it's 4 AM and I'm suppose be writing a paper on federalism
Old 02-25-10, 07:48 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IS-F was a joint collaboration between Lexus and Rod Millen. It actually started life as an IS300 with a GS430 motor and Supra Getrag trans...It evolved into a IS430. When it toured the US at auto shows, many people were amazed and loved the idea of a V8 IS. So Lexus said, lets give it a green light for a V8 powered IS. Hence, IS-F. Toyota knew from the very beginning that the IS model would be a hit with tuners...because it was the Altezza back home and was notorious for being tinkered with (with the four banger at least). The 2IS is very difficult to play with because of its transmission believe it or not...not the motor. A lot of Japanese carmakers are going the electronic auto gearbox route because they are saving millions on blown trannies that "tommy-down-the-street" keep destroying. Lexus supports tuners 100% otherwise they wouldn't have so many IS's at auto shows and import shows. Just who and how can mod them is a whole-notha'-ballgame! I just wish for two things from Toyota...bring back the 2JZ-GTE and Getrag transmission or at least some variation of it. I am NOT diggen' there engine line-up at all!!!
Old 02-25-10, 09:26 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Im sure they had a purpose. They don't just happen to make the car like that by mistake. I kind of agree with it. Its supossed to be a luxury brand, thats why they called it: "LUXURY EXPORT UNITED STATES".

Also, takes away from real luxury cars like the LS430 which is what lexus is all about.
Old 02-25-10, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, it was designed as a sporty/quick/luxurious/refined/safe/legal/reliable Lexus on purpose.
Old 02-25-10, 12:33 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
I think so. I think they did it so all us speed junkies would trade em' in for the IS-F... what happened to easy boost!!!!!!!!
Well, they did release a line of aftermarket parts, so...

I don't think they did it on purpose. But they saw the demographic that was buying them, and decided to create some niche products for us.
Old 02-25-10, 01:52 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I dont think they made it with mods in mind... but decided to take advantage of the market and throw a couple of there products (F Sport)in the mix bec they knew people like me would buy em all!
Old 02-25-10, 02:27 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
IS-F was a joint collaboration between Lexus and Rod Millen. It actually started life as an IS300 with a GS430 motor and Supra Getrag trans...It evolved into a IS430. When it toured the US at auto shows, many people were amazed and loved the idea of a V8 IS. So Lexus said, lets give it a green light for a V8 powered IS. Hence, IS-F. Toyota knew from the very beginning that the IS model would be a hit with tuners...because it was the Altezza back home and was notorious for being tinkered with (with the four banger at least). The 2IS is very difficult to play with because of its transmission believe it or not...not the motor. A lot of Japanese carmakers are going the electronic auto gearbox route because they are saving millions on blown trannies that "tommy-down-the-street" keep destroying. Lexus supports tuners 100% otherwise they wouldn't have so many IS's at auto shows and import shows. Just who and how can mod them is a whole-notha'-ballgame! I just wish for two things from Toyota...bring back the 2JZ-GTE and Getrag transmission or at least some variation of it. I am NOT diggen' there engine line-up at all!!!
That story, while quite entertaining, is completely inaccurate.

Javier
Old 02-25-10, 02:29 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

I said it before and I'll say it again...

The IS is "mod friendly" enough for two strangers (women) to tell me they like the Lexus IS (F sport equipped) more than the two BMWs (2006/2009 BMW M3) parked on my driveway.

But in all fairness to BMW owners. I see more women driving Lexus IS than men. So the IS is pretty much a chic magnet.

So do you prefer to have more hp to possibly kill yourself and/or get your license revoked or drive a sexy lady (stranger you met) to dinner? And you can thank your IS later for the dessert.

EDIT: Not to many Suby and Evo owners can say that.

Last edited by JVT; 02-25-10 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 03:02 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Huh I think our x50's are very easy to mod in so many ways. Its all about your won taste and how deep your pockets are IMO.. Yesh you can drop a bottle(NOS) in their and shoot away or drop 6 to 10 grand for a SC. Just be patient and someone will come up with something!
Old 02-25-10, 04:35 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Surely the encryption on the USDM ecu's was to deter companies from investing time and money into developing performance mods for the car. Since there are no significant performance mods, fewer performance minded people buy the car and thus the entire market collapses due to lack of demand.

I'm also sure that the engineers at Lexus aren't the ones who made this decision. It could very well be to protect their reputation as being reliable, but realistically I think it is to protect their image as a sophisticated car company.

Despite the comparison to BMW, I think the best comparison is Infinity. The G35/G37 is based on a pure sports car(350z) and is marketed as such. People overlook the inferior interior and build quality for superior dynamics. The aftermarket available for these cars is massive compared to what's available for our cars.
Old 02-25-10, 05:05 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

i will still take my car over, most of, if not all of the other cars out there in this price range. First off, THE INTERIOR is so far superior in comfort. i spend alot of time in my car and not once have i been uncomfortable. Second, they just look damn sexy. third,its fast enough for zipping around, and not to slow to where i would be completely bored. And lastly, as stated above, Chicks dig it when you roll up in a sexy red IS bumping music so loud they can feel the bass 200 feet away
Old 02-25-10, 05:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
...I'm also sure that the engineers at Lexus aren't the ones who made this decision...
I'd bet an awful lot of money you are wrong about this. I have information directly from the engine management software team. "We do not modify our engines at Toyota" was what I was told by someone very high in the US management chain when he asked about modifying the 2JZ-GTE ECM while in Japan.
Old 02-25-10, 05:21 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd bet an awful lot of money you are wrong about this. I have information directly from the engine management software team. "We do not modify our engines at Toyota" was what I was told by someone very high in the US management chain when he asked about modifying the 2JZ-GTE ECM while in Japan.
I guess I should have said: I would imagine instead of I'm sure. Ooops

Quick Reply: Think Lexus made the IS350 so "un-mod friendly" on purpose?