IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Think Lexus made the IS350 so "un-mod friendly" on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 07:21 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Think Lexus made the IS350 so "un-mod friendly" on purpose?

I think so. I think they did it so all us speed junkies would trade em' in for the IS-F... what happened to easy boost!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-10, 07:24 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There wasnt even a thought of a ISF when the IS350 debuted.
Old 02-24-10, 07:26 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

I agree. But remember that Lexus wasnt always a younger crowd and still really isnt except for the IS's, so they built their cars for people that werent really into modding (ex. both of my grandmothers). Thats how I kinda see it, Im sure the 3rd gen will probably be alot easier to mod. Atleast I hope... lol
Old 02-24-10, 07:28 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKenn
There wasnt even a thought of a ISF when the IS350 debuted.
Oh really!!! Not even a "thought" huh? You think car companies just THINK up a car in less then 2 years? LoL... think again!!!
Old 02-24-10, 07:31 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Yes >:-0...... that is all
Old 02-24-10, 07:39 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus typically doesn't target the same demographic that Mitsubishi and Subaru do. I doubt "modability" was high on their design specs.

I don't mind too much, though. It makes what we do to the IS all the more unique.
Old 02-24-10, 08:37 PM
wilwilB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they did this to help us save $$
Old 02-24-10, 08:51 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st generation was very popular w the modders, so Lex knew it would be popular with modders. Lex/toyota is known for their reliablity. Hence it aint helpin with their image wtih mad broken down IS's on the side of the highway cause people keep blowin their engines.

IS-F was started as a lead engineers side project, so when the original lexus IS was planned they had no intentions of producing a high performance model
Old 02-24-10, 09:33 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
Lexus typically doesn't target the same demographic that Mitsubishi and Subaru do. I doubt "modability" was high on their design specs.

I don't mind too much, though. It makes what we do to the IS all the more unique.
well put. lexus has always geared towards the middle to upper class, yet still focusing on toyota's build quality and reputation. up until recently with the inception of the IS, for the most part many of the other models in the lexus lineup are driven by more experienced and mature drivers.
Old 02-24-10, 09:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also probably they want people to focus on their own F-Sport parts brand rather than going elsewhere.
Old 02-24-10, 10:20 PM
four o two
Intermediate

No. I think you're putting too much thought into it. You assume that Lexus had the "tuner" crowd in mind when they created the 2nd gen IS platform, and thus deliberately made it a "mod-unfriendly" platform.

I think quite the opposite is true - Lexus engineers honestly couldn't give 2 rats' asses about what the aftermarket world has to offer to its new platform, and they also knew that 99% of people who buy Lexus don't fall into the tuner category. Those people (the majority of people who buy Lexus products) don't care about modding their car. For every 1 guy on this board just WISHING he could add FI to his ISx50, there are 250 Lexus owners who couldn't tell a turbine housing from a hole in the wall.

"But what about the first gen IS?" you ask... well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say. The I6 in those cars was a proven design and just happened to find its way into the IS300, and I don't think that's an accident, but again... I don't think it's a nod from Toyota to the tuner kids.
Old 02-24-10, 10:29 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

their F sport brand is not even anything special... lol i dont like it to be honest the only F sport parts i would use rather then other aftermarket parts is the rear sway bar...

and the bbks are nice too.. but there are better after market ones
Old 02-25-10, 12:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
No. I think you're putting too much thought into it. You assume that Lexus had the "tuner" crowd in mind when they created the 2nd gen IS platform, and thus deliberately made it a "mod-unfriendly" platform.

I think quite the opposite is true - Lexus engineers honestly couldn't give 2 rats' asses about what the aftermarket world has to offer to its new platform, and they also knew that 99% of people who buy Lexus don't fall into the tuner category. Those people (the majority of people who buy Lexus products) don't care about modding their car. For every 1 guy on this board just WISHING he could add FI to his ISx50, there are 250 Lexus owners who couldn't tell a turbine housing from a hole in the wall.

"But what about the first gen IS?" you ask... well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say. The I6 in those cars was a proven design and just happened to find its way into the IS300, and I don't think that's an accident, but again... I don't think it's a nod from Toyota to the tuner kids.
Couldn't agree more
Old 02-25-10, 12:28 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if you want a mod-friendly car, the 2is is certainly not it. it's part of the conformance of the line-up to the lexus brand and image (despite the fact that the LFA and to a lesser extent the is-f have changed that, but that's a discussion for another day). it's a bit civil and a bit sporty, but nothing too far past that. i'd hate to say this, but aside from the LFA and to a lesser extent the is-f, the lexus line-up is, well, conservative.

even those who are trying to re-define the image can't escape the fact that it's a lexus, and it will never be confused for a race car or tuner ride - even with the f-sport catalog thrown at it. farthest you can get away from it is to slap some racing decals all over your 2is and pretend that it's a quasi tuner ride/street racer, and even then that's just downright embarassing.

on the other hand, enjoy it for what it is. it's a bit civil and a bit sporty, and it's a lexus.
Old 02-25-10, 01:05 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
if you want a mod-friendly car, the 2is is certainly not it. it's part of the conformance of the line-up to the lexus brand and image (despite the fact that the LFA and to a lesser extent the is-f have changed that, but that's a discussion for another day). it's a bit civil and a bit sporty, but nothing too far past that. i'd hate to say this, but aside from the LFA and to a lesser extent the is-f, the lexus line-up is, well, conservative.

even those who are trying to re-define the image can't escape the fact that it's a lexus, and it will never be confused for a race car or tuner ride - even with the f-sport catalog thrown at it. farthest you can get away from it is to slap some racing decals all over your 2is and pretend that it's a quasi tuner ride/street racer, and even then that's just downright embarassing.

on the other hand, enjoy it for what it is. it's a bit civil and a bit sporty, and it's a lexus.
Was my 2IS was a a race car? but it was ****ing fast for what it was and no one can deny that... I used to street race (before I lost my license to a completely unrelated incident). when I brought it out people were so blown away that a lexus could do what mine did. no one believed me that it wasnt on nitrous... so being accused of it I put it on nitrous and blew people away all over again.

regardless of whether or not the car is "mod friendly" its pretty fast for being a luxury sports car.... funny story when I was test driving my car I hadn't made it a block before I got pulled over... I turned around and signed the papers right there.

Quick Reply: Think Lexus made the IS350 so "un-mod friendly" on purpose?