Wheel studs on wheel spacers broke off into Lugs nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 07:16 PM
r6ownz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmpeter
They were probably over torqued.
I use to work at a car dealer as a tech and I've followed all procedures on torquing. I would think that they were loose which caused the tires to shake and thus breaking off the studs with the lugs.
Old 03-06-10, 07:21 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is some scary ***** man glad you made it out ok, could of been a lot worse
Old 03-06-10, 07:33 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you used an impact gun then you did not follow the "correct" procedures to torquing down lugnuts buddy, sorry. It's either you over tighten them or the studs failed.
Old 03-06-10, 09:09 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! That looks scary. Now I'm afraid to use the Ichiba extended lugs on my 5mm spacer. I'll probably just stick with the OEM ones. Glad you're ok though.
Old 03-06-10, 09:39 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Looking at it from an engineers standpoint...its kind of hard to have 4 out of 5 studs fail at one time without any other forces or human error involved. Even over tightening would damage the the lug nut or wheel. Unless somehow you twisted the stud thus weakening it.

Generally if you have all the the lugs tighten down there would be little force acting on the studs except the normal force from the lug nut tightening the wheel to the hub. The hub and suspension absorb the forces from driving and the road.

I've tighten wheels with torque wrenches, impact guns, t-bars, and stock lug wrenches with long pipes attached and have never done that kind of damage on cars i've worked on. The only time i've ever snapped a stud is when the thread was stripped and it would not turn.

I'd say pop those aftermarket studs out and get some reliable OEM studs. The OEM ones are heat treated and hardened steel.
Old 03-06-10, 09:51 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r6ownz
I used an impact....nobody else does work on the car except for my cousin and I
An impact gun will put as much as 250+ft/lbs onto the stud depending on the setting. With a torque wrench it's only supposed to be torqued to barely 80~85 ft/lbs. I'd replace all of your studs and lugs as they are most likely compromised from the impact gun. Brakes will warp as well from over torqued lugs.
Old 03-07-10, 01:47 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

i would get a new one from warranty and sell it.
Old 03-07-10, 10:53 AM
24boosted
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sinister2c
I've tighten wheels with torque wrenches, impact guns, t-bars, and stock lug wrenches with long pipes attached and have never done that kind of damage on cars i've worked on.
You are blindly testing the tensile strength of the lugs and studs. Metal will only elongate to a certain extent before fracture takes place. How much you've elongated the metal is unknown as you don't use a torque wrench to measure the amount of force applied to the metal itself. 85 ft/lbs is not very much torque.
Old 03-07-10, 09:42 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

You should get a spacer that have a center hub and use hubcentric rings for your wheels. This is the safest way to run spacers, otherwise you are putting all the stress on the stud. Hitting a pot hole will knock off those studs.
Old 03-07-10, 10:02 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

If you don't have hubcentric rings, all the stress is on the studs. They will snap if your car is low with negative camber. It has happened to me before.
Old 03-07-10, 11:13 PM
r6ownz
Rookie

Originally Posted by jeronimus
wow, this is scary. I actually spent extra for my Kics thinking this is the top brand. I wouldnt go cheap with them spacers.
The ones I got are Ichiba version II
Old 03-07-10, 11:14 PM
r6ownz
Rookie

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
That is crazy. Lucky u pulled over. I'm thinking it should be warranty
Yea, I'm really glad I wasn't on the freeway...I hope so, time to find out tomorrow when I call Ichiba.
Old 03-07-10, 11:17 PM
r6ownz
Rookie

Originally Posted by mxis350
wow thats scary. Why you running spacers?? Dont tell me its because of DYNA's or ill ***** my pants cuz i just got them.

BTW sense you dont have TPMS eather, did you find a way to turn of that stupid "check system" warning??
I'm running spacers because I want a more flushed and aggressive look with my wheels and when I got my wheels I got them at a safe offset.

I just left it as is...as annoying as that red light that kept telling me that my tires are low, I just ignored it.
Old 03-07-10, 11:22 PM
r6ownz
Rookie

Originally Posted by gc86
that is some scary ***** man glad you made it out ok, could of been a lot worse
Word! Someone upstairs was definitely looking out for me...now I'm contemplating whether or not I still want to use my wheel spacers.
Old 03-07-10, 11:25 PM
r6ownz
Rookie

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
If you used an impact gun then you did not follow the "correct" procedures to torquing down lugnuts buddy, sorry. It's either you over tighten them or the studs failed.
My mistake, I used the impact gun to quickly screw the lugs in but used a torque wrench to torque the lugs.

Quick Reply: Wheel studs on wheel spacers broke off into Lugs nuts