IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

15k service ($339)? Consensus says dont do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 09:06 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 15k service ($339)? Consensus says dont do it?

So from searching the forum, seems like everyone agrees the 15k service is a huge rip-off? I actually was planning on doing it before 1) someone hit my car so im paying to repair it 2) i found out it's a bit of a rip off.

Are there replacement air/cabin filters to get online that aren't lexus parts that work well? Or should i order from Sewell or my local dealership? Anyone know the pricing for those?

Thanks for any help
Old 03-25-10, 09:45 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$339 for 15k service? I will stop to go to the place you go regardless a dealership or just a street shop.
There is nothing really needed besides a oil change, and yes just get your own cabin filter and DIY it. I am sure there are buds here can tip you about replacing the filter.

-from my 2cents
Old 03-25-10, 09:48 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never did the 15k service since most of it looked like something i already did myself such as oil changes. just have your local mechanic do the inspections for you and give you an idea of what might need to be done.

i got my cabin filter from the dealer it was like $20 bucks with tax.
Old 03-25-10, 10:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
So from searching the forum, seems like everyone agrees the 15k service is a huge rip-off? I actually was planning on doing it before 1) someone hit my car so im paying to repair it 2) i found out it's a bit of a rip off.

Are there replacement air/cabin filters to get online that aren't lexus parts that work well? Or should i order from Sewell or my local dealership? Anyone know the pricing for those?

Thanks for any help

Per service manual, what the car actually requires at 15k miles:

Oil/oil filter change.

Clean AC filter.

That's it.

(Oh, and rotate tires if you're AWD)

$339? do they have hookers in the waiting room?
Old 03-25-10, 11:00 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah there's prostitutes everywhere, the $339 gets them but they require you tip them

Yeah thats what Westside Lexus here in Houston quoted me at, they even gave me the list of everything that would be "done".
Old 03-25-10, 11:07 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

The whole dealership inflated cost thingie is normal... they are supposed to check a lot of different things to make sure they are working properly. So if they are actually doing that then the price is ok. You have to pay for the knowledge they have. Its always cheaper to do stuff yourself. Well 99% of the time.
Old 03-25-10, 12:44 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
Yeah there's prostitutes everywhere, the $339 gets them but they require you tip them

Yeah thats what Westside Lexus here in Houston quoted me at, they even gave me the list of everything that would be "done".
What?! there are prostitutes in the waiting room? for $339? duude that is a smoking deal. do it! make sure u get the 10% of by mentioning clublexus!

I agree with everyone else. Dealerships will always want to charge booku bucks for any services. Just take it to a reputable independent mechanic, show them the maintenance schedule and they can probably charge you a quarter of the price.
Old 03-25-10, 12:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
The whole dealership inflated cost thingie is normal... they are supposed to check a lot of different things to make sure they are working properly. So if they are actually doing that then the price is ok. You have to pay for the knowledge they have. Its always cheaper to do stuff yourself. Well 99% of the time.
Just about all the "checks" are things they'll notice during a normal oil change anyway. It's 100% pure BS profit.

You don't need "knowledge" to notice there's fluid leaking from someplace under the car for example.
Old 03-25-10, 01:55 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Who knows if they actually check all the componets that they say there gonna check? It might be BS it might not be... everyone in the world is not a crook... so if something is actually wrong with one of the parts of ur car that they "check" then they fix it. So basically its no reason to complain about the dealer prices bec they charge a premium. We all kno that and its never gonna change.
Old 03-25-10, 02:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Who knows if they actually check all the componets that they say there gonna check? It might be BS it might not be... everyone in the world is not a crook... so if something is actually wrong with one of the parts of ur car that they "check" then they fix it. So basically its no reason to complain about the dealer prices bec they charge a premium. We all kno that and its never gonna change.
I'm sure they DO check for things like leaking radiator, brake lines, or diff.

But they do that ANYWAY if they're changing the oil. For free.

(Hell, you can do that yourself if you just look for fluid on the ground under your car)

You're completely wasting your $ if you pay them for stuff they're doing anyway for free.

But I guess somebody has to pay for the nice pastries in the waiting area
Old 03-25-10, 02:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

If one never uses the A/C, does the filter still need cleaning or maintenance attention?
Old 03-25-10, 02:55 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'm sure they DO check for things like leaking radiator, brake lines, or diff.

But they do that ANYWAY if they're changing the oil. For free.

(Hell, you can do that yourself if you just look for fluid on the ground under your car)

You're completely wasting your $ if you pay them for stuff they're doing anyway for free.

But I guess somebody has to pay for the nice pastries in the waiting area
I'm with Kurtz on this one. Whenever I do a regular oil change at the dealer, they still look for the same kind of problems they look for with the 15K service... after all it's their opportunity to make money if your car does need actual repair. It's not like they're going to look away from the leaking fluids etc. while they're under your car, just because you didn't spring for the full exam. So the only other two significant things that wouldn't be covered by the standard oil change are the engine and cabin air filters... both of which you can change in about 20-30 min yourself if you buy the parts. Of course sometimes I get lazy and just take it to a shop to have even that done, but I went to a reputable mechanic and not the dealership for the more major 30K service, and saved money that way.
Old 03-25-10, 03:30 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I would think that at 15k ur car is probably still under warranty... so anything that is not a wear and tear part of ur car should be covered. Let's not get me wrong here I don't care where u get ur car serviced... my services are free to me bec I use my points from my lexus card to pay so. I was under the impression that they inspect other parts other than leaks. I remember a big list of things they inspect.. I could be wrong but I think its possible to just get ur oil changed at the dealer which still probably to much for some people.
Old 03-25-10, 04:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I would think that at 15k ur car is probably still under warranty... so anything that is not a wear and tear part of ur car should be covered. Let's not get me wrong here I don't care where u get ur car serviced... my services are free to me bec I use my points from my lexus card to pay so. I was under the impression that they inspect other parts other than leaks. I remember a big list of things they inspect.. I could be wrong but I think its possible to just get ur oil changed at the dealer which still probably to much for some people.

Yes, they check a number of other things that are never wrong with the car.

Axle shaft flange bolts for example, which one Lexus tech mentioned in the 15 years he'd been working he'd never seen nor heard of coming loose on any car ever.

But it sounds important on your invoice, doesn't it?
Old 03-25-10, 05:16 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

It does sound pretty important haha... I doubt that anything will be wrong with the car.

Quick Reply: 15k service ($339)? Consensus says dont do it?