IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-06-15, 02:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

how many miles before having to change tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 10:41 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no hankook in my town. i guess i will have to roll with the michellin setup in the front and keep the potenzas in the back. i hope my car doesnt mess up!
Old 09-21-10, 11:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by intellis
no hankook in my town. i guess i will have to roll with the michellin setup in the front and keep the potenzas in the back. i hope my car doesnt mess up!
Pretty sure tirerack ships anywhere in the US
Old 09-21-10, 12:45 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Pretty sure tirerack ships anywhere in the US
There's also www.tiremonkey.com that ships to a designated installer near you.
Old 09-21-10, 05:51 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MBTC
There's also www.tiremonkey.com that ships to a designated installer near you.
I'm buying Hankooks. No more bridgestones for me. I was under the impression that my rear tires( the newest ones i purchased) were good. Apparently the thread on them is 5/32. They are about an year old with 12K miles on them. I am not an aggressive driving and I don't race. No more bridgestones for me I am getting a set of Hankooks (front and rear) installed on my car Friday. My local Toyota dealership said that they would install, mount, and balance them for me for $49.95. They tried to get me to buy some of their nittos but i only researched michellins and hankooks on this site lol.
Old 09-21-10, 06:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,996 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I'm buying Hankooks. No more bridgestones for me. I was under the impression that my rear tires( the newest ones i purchased) were good. Apparently the thread on them is 5/32. They are about an year old with 12K miles on them. I am not an aggressive driving and I don't race. No more bridgestones for me I am getting a set of Hankooks (front and rear) installed on my car Friday. My local Toyota dealership said that they would install, mount, and balance them for me for $49.95. They tried to get me to buy some of their nittos but i only researched michellins and hankooks on this site lol.
5/32"? They started out at 8/32" and they're legal to 2/32", so you've basically worn them half way in 12k miles. Sounds about right. Are you planning to throw away a pair of half used tires?
Old 09-21-10, 08:54 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Default ???

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
5/32"? They started out at 8/32" and they're legal to 2/32", so you've basically worn them half way in 12k miles. Sounds about right. Are you planning to throw away a pair of half used tires?
Thanks for responding. I was hoping I could sell them to a tire company but so far all I have heard was 'no' lol. I was getting paranoid about the 5/32 thinking that I would have a blowout or something on the highway. So judging by the math, I should be able to get another 12K miles which should put me at around 3/32. If so... I will just get the Hankooks for the front and save the extra money for my window tint. What would you do?
Old 09-21-10, 09:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,996 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Thanks for responding. I was hoping I could sell them to a tire company but so far all I have heard was 'no' lol. I was getting paranoid about the 5/32 thinking that I would have a blowout or something on the highway. So judging by the math, I should be able to get another 12K miles which should put me at around 3/32. If so... I will just get the Hankooks for the front and save the extra money for my window tint. What would you do?
I'd drive them 'til they're worn out. Then I'd save them for track days until they cord.

I'm not a big fan of mixing tire brands. It might be just fine, but be a bit cautious at first if you choose this route. Sometimes strange things happen and the car doesn't exactly respond the way you'd like it. If it does act weird, be prepared to do something else.

FWIW, I have no complaints with the OEM Bridgestones on the F. I'm on my second full set now.
Old 09-22-10, 10:33 AM
intellis
Pole Position

thanks for the feedback lobuxracer.
Old 10-14-10, 01:15 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Are you planning to throw away a pair of half used tires?
Well I am now. I was trying to wait to squeeze more mileage out of these bad boys but now one of my front tires has a leak and the thread is real low on both front tires (around 3/32). So I think I will just get a whole set and start fresh. It looks like I will be doing some burnouts before they go lol. Any tips on doing a good burnout lol?

I'd drive them 'til they're worn out. Then I'd save them for track days until they cord.

I'm not a big fan of mixing tire brands. It might be just fine, but be a bit cautious at first if you choose this route. Sometimes strange things happen and the car doesn't exactly respond the way you'd like it. If it does act weird, be prepared to do something else.
Yeah i want be mixing either. I rather pay for tires now, or pay for something a lot more expensive later.