2006 IS250 Potential Buyer Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 02:51 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS250 Potential Buyer Question

hey guys,
I'm going to be considering a 2006 is250 (rwd) auto w/ 18k miles. I read the FAQ, but was unable to get the answers I was looking for. After doing my research through the consumer reports and edmunds, I am a bit concerned with the engine quality and wanted to get your opinions on it. I intend to keep this car until it dies so I was just wondering if you all think that it has a good quality build. Also, any other info regarding the overall quality would be great.

I guess what I'm looking for is more of a reassurance that this car will not be as problematic as what my research has revealed.

thanks in advance
Old 04-01-10, 02:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've looked at the reliability data published by Consumers Reports and found nothing that would suggest the Lexus IS250 or IS350 would be problematic. I noticed overall the reliability scores were above average per CR.
Old 04-01-10, 03:00 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

I've been driving my IS250 for 4 years and there hasn't been any issues. It's been running great since day 1. Just as long as you maintain your vehicle with scheduled maintenance, you shouldn't experience any issues. It's a Lexus = quality product. Hope this provides reassurance to your hesitation in pursuing a Lexus.
Old 04-01-10, 06:32 PM
stevejones
Driver

Yeah I did extensive research on my 2006 lexus IS250 before I bought it and consumer report rates it above average on all accounts except for the audio system and brakes. I had my car for maybe 3 weeks and the engine light just turned on and my traction control isnt working All I have is powertrain warranty left and I only have a toyota in my town so I havnt brought it in yet.
Old 04-01-10, 06:55 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevejones
Yeah I did extensive research on my 2006 lexus IS250 before I bought it and consumer report rates it above average on all accounts except for the audio system and brakes. I had my car for maybe 3 weeks and the engine light just turned on and my traction control isnt working All I have is powertrain warranty left and I only have a toyota in my town so I havnt brought it in yet.
If you bought it used, those are the risks that come with it. You don't know how the previous owner maintained the vehicle. You did get it fixed though right?
Old 04-01-10, 08:21 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

What are some of the bad things u found about the car?
Old 04-01-10, 08:27 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I dont have a 250 but my 350 has been going great since day 1. Highly recomended.
Old 04-02-10, 04:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecel
hey guys,
I'm going to be considering a 2006 is250 (rwd) auto w/ 18k miles. I read the FAQ, but was unable to get the answers I was looking for. After doing my research through the consumer reports and edmunds, I am a bit concerned with the engine quality and wanted to get your opinions on it. I intend to keep this car until it dies so I was just wondering if you all think that it has a good quality build. Also, any other info regarding the overall quality would be great.

I guess what I'm looking for is more of a reassurance that this car will not be as problematic as what my research has revealed.

thanks in advance

Generally speaking, I don't see why you would have an engine quality concern on a Toyota product. Particularly the IS--there's been no common engine problems reported.
Old 04-02-10, 07:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

What happened to OP after the first post ?
Old 04-02-10, 11:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I guess he got his answer, and he's outta here.
Old 04-02-10, 12:27 PM
rukkus2IS
Lead Lap

^^Lol, may he decided not to buy it and said screw this forum.
Old 04-02-10, 12:49 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Lol i'm here. Was out all day yesterday and didn't come on til now. I'm about to look at the is250 in about an hour.

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
What are some of the bad things u found about the car?
When reading the 2010 Apr. issue of consumer reports, in the back there's a section with colored circles to represent problematic areas. Usually toyota and lexus has red or red/half circles across the board. What concerned me was that the 2006 is250 had an average rating of major engine issues. It had problems with the audio system and brakes. There were a few other things, but I don't have it in front of me right now.

What concerned me about the cars i've called about is that each one of them has gotten a recall notice that the owners either took it in and was found that the car did not have the defect or it was replaced.

Also, my gf's bro. has an 07 is250 and he got a recall notice too in regards to the floor mats. The one I'm looking at today also got the same recall done.

I guess right now I'm torn between the is300 and is250. I love the looks and quietness of the is250. At the same time, I love the is300 for it's sportiness and I have the means to do the 2jzgte swap in it. Decisions decision

Thanks for all the input so far...keep them coming!
Old 04-02-10, 01:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecel
Lol i'm here. Was out all day yesterday and didn't come on til now. I'm about to look at the is250 in about an hour.

When reading the 2010 Apr. issue of consumer reports, in the back there's a section with colored circles to represent problematic areas. Usually toyota and lexus has red or red/half circles across the board. What concerned me was that the 2006 is250 had an average rating of major engine issues. It had problems with the audio system and brakes. There were a few other things, but I don't have it in front of me right now.

What concerned me about the cars i've called about is that each one of them has gotten a recall notice that the owners either took it in and was found that the car did not have the defect or it was replaced.

Also, my gf's bro. has an 07 is250 and he got a recall notice too in regards to the floor mats. The one I'm looking at today also got the same recall done.

I guess right now I'm torn between the is300 and is250. I love the looks and quietness of the is250. At the same time, I love the is300 for it's sportiness and I have the means to do the 2jzgte swap in it. Decisions decision

Thanks for all the input so far...keep them coming!

FYI the floormat "recall" is because some poor guy got a loaner ES350 that the dealer stupidly threw SUV floormats into... the floormat caused the gas pedal to get stuck, and all this got on the news.

Bam, 4+ million cars recalled for something that's only a problem if you're too stupid to put the correct part in your car.
Old 04-02-10, 08:05 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

well just checked out the car today. It appears to be well taken care of with maintenance records. Now comes down to price. You guys think 22k is a fair deal or am I paying a little too much?
Old 04-02-10, 10:38 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

18k miles is really low and for 22k thats not bad at all, but of course you always talk the price down lol

Quick Reply: 2006 IS250 Potential Buyer Question