IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer called. The IS pedal remedy is ready.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 01:21 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regarding the comments about the new pedal being shorter, here's my thought on the sport pedal.

it looks like the new pedal is the same size (length) as the old one with just the bottom corners cut off. But it looks like the attachment point where the pedal attaches to the pedal assembly is now lowered on the pedal so that after install, the pedal sits higher off the floor, which causes the illusion that it's now shorter when looking at it next to the brake pedal. anyway that's my thought on the sport pedal. Not sure about the normal pedal.

Last edited by raptor22; 05-04-10 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-04-10, 07:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Keppie
In my opinion there is no doubt to get it done. Mine is being done as I type. A shorter pedal is no big deal. The override is for safety. They are not changing the apperance of the car. I don't understand why anybody would question getting it done given the fact that you have to sign a disclaimer that you release Lexus/Toyota of any responsibilty should something happen and you decline the remedy.
Mainly the reason to not get it done is that it uglies up the pedal, gives you a functionally inferior floor mat if you use all-weather mats, and does exactly nothing to improve the safety of the vehicle if it is being used properly to begin with.

The only reasons to do it are either:

The owner of the car is too dumb to correctly use floor mats. (or the brakes, or neutral for that matter)

Or

The owner is REALLY desperate for a free tank of gas.

I do wonder if you can choose to get it done later after signing the waiver though... because the one other reason to do it would be in case you eventually want to sell the car and the potential buyer is himself too ignorant of the issue to understand how useless the recall is.
Old 05-05-10, 10:12 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the dealer install the additional idiot-proofing to go along with the "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" and air bag warning stickers.

The new pedal is not 'ugly' and does not feel different. It is not shaved like for the ES or Toyotas. It's just like the picture a few posts back from Vscious350. The pad is replaced with one about 1/2" shorter (stops at the end of the rod holding it) and the left corner is squarer while the right corner is rounded.

I tested the brake override system in the loaner IS they gave me. It works exactly like they say here: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...rideSystem.pdf. I have no reason to believe it will affect my day to day driving so I'm happy to have it.

My car was washed and I got a full tank of gas ($49 worth, yeah I made sure to run it all the way empty before bringing it in ).

I do not have all-weather floor mats but here is the picture from Autoblog showing how the lip can cause a problem:

It can happen to anyone in any car, even to Edmunds.com in a Ford Fusion Hybrid: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-for-real.html, especially if someone else is driving your car, you're driving an unfamiliar car, or like a car wash guy doesn't hook the mats in.

Bottom line is I'm a satisfied Lexus customer with the way they handled this.

Last edited by Toymota; 05-05-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 11:23 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Just picked up my IS with sport pedals and everthing looks and feels fine. I did not notice a difference driving the car. They also filled up the car. I commend Lexus for a first rate effort.
Old 05-05-10, 11:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toymota
I do not have all-weather floor mats but here is the picture from Autoblog showing how the lip can cause a problem:
I thought that was a picture of the ES350 that crashed because it had unsecured SUV floor mats in it?

(I don't have all weather mats either though, so it's really no value to me either way)

It can happen to anyone in any car, even to Edmunds.com in a Ford Fusion Hybrid: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-for-real.html, especially if someone else is driving your car, you're driving an unfamiliar car, or like a car wash guy doesn't hook the mats in.
Well, nobody drives my car that doesn't understand what the "N" on the gear shift does, so that's not a real concern... and I don't let other people wash my car either, so my floor mats stay properly in place anyway.

The new pedal is not 'ugly' and does not feel different. It is not shaved like for the ES or Toyotas. It's just like the picture a few posts back from Vscious350. The pad is replaced with one about 1/2" shorter (stops at the end of the rod holding it) and the left corner is squarer while the right corner is rounded.
The regular rubber one might well look fine.

I have sport pedals on my car. Based on the pictures of the "new" sport pedal yes, it is uglier.
Old 05-05-10, 04:54 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

The new sports pedal does have a difference appearance but once the new one is in you won't think twice about it. How much time do people spend looking at pedals? We are not talking about the dash or the seats. Get real.
Old 05-05-10, 07:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

The new sports pedal does have a difference appearance but once the new one is in you won't think twice about it. How much time do people spend looking at pedals? We are not talking about the dash or the seats. Get real.

I'd ask you to get real.

The change provides literally no benefit since I know how to use a floor mat properly, but gives me an uglier gas pedal.

Even if I only notice it 1 in 100 times I'm in my car, there's exactly zero upside to it beyond a tank of gas.
Old 05-05-10, 07:26 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

My choice of words wasn't the best. I am sorry.

I should have said given the slight mofication in the pedal versus the legal scrutiny an owner could be under for declining the remedy I can't see not doing the remedy.
Old 05-06-10, 04:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

My choice of words wasn't the best. I am sorry.

I should have said given the slight mofication in the pedal versus the legal scrutiny an owner could be under for declining the remedy I can't see not doing the remedy.
What legal scrutiny?

It's a voluntary recall, the owner is under no legal obligation to do it.
Old 05-06-10, 05:34 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

If a person is driving a car and an accident occurs in which the blame could be on a faulty item in the car and the owner has declined to have the faulty item repaired I think they are setting themselves up for legal scrutiny.
Old 05-06-10, 07:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

If a person is driving a car and an accident occurs in which the blame could be on a faulty item in the car and the owner has declined to have the faulty item repaired I think they are setting themselves up for legal scrutiny.
They really aren't.

Especially when there's no actual faulty item here.

The recall notice itself explicitly states there is no problem in vehicles where the floor mat is the correct one, secured correctly.

Now, if you stack 3 incorrect floormats, and that causes a problem, then sure, the accident is probably your fault.

That's not because you ignored the recall, it's because you're an idiot. You'd be exactly as responsible in a Ford that didn't have any recalls.

(not you personally, the guy who caused the accident)
Old 05-06-10, 07:43 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Just got mine done yesterday. The pedal does look shorter.. but also the new all weather mats are rather thinner. The part where the accelerator pedal is curves downward more than before exposing more of the carpet. Now I have a shinier accelerator than the brake pedal.
Old 05-06-10, 08:45 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

No reason to discuss legal issues any further. We agree to disgree which is fine. I am glad people are seeing different sides of the issue and can decide for themselves.
Old 05-06-10, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BounceNY
My dealer never fills up my gas tank...
As part of the campaign service they should. I'd want my free tank of gas
Old 05-06-10, 01:51 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting it done because my parents feel safer doing so. They know that the floormats on my car are secured and are just looking at the brake override for safety in case something happens. You never know, some item could fall down and find its way to the pedal and somehow get it stuck, and if someone wasn't aware to put it into Neutral safely, then something could happen. Honestly, if people don't want to do it, it's their choice and convincing them is pointless. If someone were to try convincing me to do something I didn't want to do and strongly opposed, I would just get pissed off. haha

I don't see any difference in performance, appearance, or feel. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road ahead rather than on my feet.

Quick Reply: Dealer called. The IS pedal remedy is ready.