IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$400 piece of plastic from tom's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 02:06 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewshu3
you make it sound like they're performing a great charity by selling us stuff.
I'm not commenting on the value of this piece, but I refuse to buy anything replica or copied. In an industry where the design is 75% of the product, I've seen first hand all the time, effort, and money that goes into producing these pieces. Replicating and reselling someone else's work without their consent is stealing in my book, and I refuse to support it.

Javier
Old 04-13-10, 02:21 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why your car looks awesome Javier!
Old 04-13-10, 02:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

If you can't afford to mod your car...save your money for the authentic issue. Stop the copy.
Old 04-13-10, 03:14 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm all for buying the authentic original product. But when you put such a high price on something that costs so little to manufacture, you're just asking for someone to come along and make a replica. It's up to the manufacturer to set an appropriate price point and to differentiate their product from the competition in regards to quality, design and backend support. Replicating original products and selling them for a lower price is nothing new.
Old 04-13-10, 03:21 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

That is over priced by far. I wouldnt pay more than $150 for that.
Old 04-13-10, 03:28 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I'm not commenting on the value of this piece, but I refuse to buy anything replica or copied. In an industry where the design is 75% of the product, I've seen first hand all the time, effort, and money that goes into producing these pieces. Replicating and reselling someone else's work without their consent is stealing in my book, and I refuse to support it.

Javier
well put javy!! quality is quality, and ive noticed that many replicas (not just for lexus cars) are quite shoddy IMO. sure, they look exactly the same as the original (hence "REplica"). i just think if there are some companies that cant do the actual R&D to produce the product in the first place, they have no right to simply copy another company's product for the sake of making a buck.
Old 04-13-10, 03:31 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I wouldn't buy it (not necessarily because it's overpriced - there are lips that cost twice as much and are less functional; I just don't like it aesthetically and think something like this is pointless on a 2IS). However, not buying it is one thing. Not buying it and then asking for a replica of this one is a whole different ball game.

Ok ok, I'm getting tired of reading myself in this thread. I think it's pretty obvious how I feel on this topic...

Javier
Old 04-13-10, 03:32 PM
Rash
hmm

I'm guessing it's overpriced because it's a unique piece, no company did it before for the IS.
Old 04-13-10, 04:06 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'll pass, it's just more to scrape
Old 04-13-10, 04:30 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe someone can convince apr to make a version for the 2is.
Old 04-13-10, 09:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I wouldn't buy it (not necessarily because it's overpriced - there are lips that cost twice as much and are less functional; I just don't like it aesthetically and think something like this is pointless on a 2IS). However, not buying it is one thing. Not buying it and then asking for a replica of this one is a whole different ball game.

Ok ok, I'm getting tired of reading myself in this thread. I think it's pretty obvious how I feel on this topic...

Javier
yup i am cheap. i can't really afford a lot of stuff for my m3. so i could only afford to put springs on my m3 and call it again

but i feel so much better than those m3 owners with knock offs everywhere
Old 04-13-10, 10:23 PM
MothIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i should do like that piece
Old 04-14-10, 09:04 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a company "copies" a design of another company, they can sue. The United States has crazy patent and copyright laws. For example, Apple is suing HTC for using a gesture similiar to the iPhone "Slide to Unlock" for unlocking phones (among other patent violations). http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/a...ent-breakdown/

I have nothing against Tom's, but there is no way this product is worth $400 even if you take R&D into consideration. Personally, I think it's absurd that some of these companies act like they are developing a light bulb when I know other companies where engineers can whip out tens of these types of initial product designs in a week.

I support truly original designs, but a lot of these "original" products are very similar to previous products and just because they are from a popular company doesn't make them better or more original then another replica.

In fact, as someone who has held a few engineering titles, I'll say some of these "replica's" people put down are actually better quality (and design) then the "supposed" originals. If a company can't continue to adapt and innovate while remaining competitive, I don't feel the least bit sorry when they struggle or go under.

Just my two cents (and no I don't have any "replica's" on my car)
Old 04-14-10, 10:15 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^A huge problem with copyright enforcement is that hardly any of these replica companies are US domiciled companies, so they're not subject to US copyright law and going after them becomes an extremely expensive proposition.

As far as this product not being worth $400, everyone has their opinion (I'm not defending Tom's, like I said before I wouldn't buy it). However you have to take into account the business risk the company is assuming. Depending on whether or not they make the product or outsource it, they have to pay the designers to design the product, do all the engineering & testing, and THEN buy materials and buy or lease machinery and equipment to manufacture them. All of that expense is now built into whatever inventory they've assembled, and that's the cost they have to recoup on the item's sale price - just to break even. Replica companies are able to avoid at least half of these costs.

Javier
Old 04-14-10, 10:29 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

It's only a matter of time until we start seeing replicated whole cars...

(oh wait they did that already )

Would you buy a Nexus IS351 or Nexus IS251 or even a Nexus IS-8..??

But I guess it will be OK if it costs $20K verses $40K or only $30K verses $60K

Quick Reply: $400 piece of plastic from tom's