IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Car almost Killed me tonite.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 02:41 AM
250aznboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm one of the other guys this has happened to. I never use the auto option for headlights, I always turn it on manually, but the P/S light still comes on almost every other day when I turn on my headlights. I lose Power steering for a brief moment, then it comes back. My steering hasn't gone haywire in a while though. I've brought my car into the dealer 2 times and alerted them of the powersteering light going on multiple times, but they always tell me the exact same thing: "We'll send this to corporate and tech and they will figure it out". It's been over a month since they've said this and they have not contacted me once about anything. I'm going in to bug them again soon. It's ridiculous how long it's taking them to do anything about this especially with how dangerous this is.
Old 04-16-10, 03:20 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 250aznboi
I'm one of the other guys this has happened to. I never use the auto option for headlights, I always turn it on manually, but the P/S light still comes on almost every other day when I turn on my headlights. I lose Power steering for a brief moment, then it comes back. My steering hasn't gone haywire in a while though. I've brought my car into the dealer 2 times and alerted them of the powersteering light going on multiple times, but they always tell me the exact same thing: "We'll send this to corporate and tech and they will figure it out". It's been over a month since they've said this and they have not contacted me once about anything. I'm going in to bug them again soon. It's ridiculous how long it's taking them to do anything about this especially with how dangerous this is.
do you have an aftermarket HID kit? if so, you would be the perfect candidate to take off the aftermarket HID kit and reinstall the stock lighting and see if the problem continues since it happens so frequently to you.
Old 04-16-10, 08:37 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
wow...aftermarket HID lights affect the steering ecu?
We should also start asking what kind of aftermarket HID brands are causing this problem so members can stay away from them. The Ballasts probably arent shielded correctly so its causing interference with the ECU(when that close)...
Old 04-16-10, 09:45 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 250aznboi
like alot of things in life you have to get off your butt to get things resolved. If your PS light comes on every other day then that should be taken care of. Be anoying about it but be polite. Call them every other day if you have to until you get an answer. If the dealer cant fix a reoccuring problem then they have to have a factory service rep fly out to that location to work on the car. Then if he cant fix it you may fall into the lemon law catagory. But I dont know how old your car is and the technical laws, etc. If are getting nowhere and are fed up then just sell it. Let someone else deal with it..
Old 04-16-10, 11:58 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
like alot of things in life you have to get off your butt to get things resolved. If your PS light comes on every other day then that should be taken care of. Be anoying about it but be polite. Call them every other day if you have to until you get an answer. If the dealer cant fix a reoccuring problem then they have to have a factory service rep fly out to that location to work on the car. Then if he cant fix it you may fall into the lemon law catagory. But I dont know how old your car is and the technical laws, etc. If are getting nowhere and are fed up then just sell it. Let someone else deal with it..
though it varies by state, the concept behind the automotive lemon law is to protect consumers from a serious, safety-compromising defect that:

- can be traced back to the original manufacturer, and
- would require a significant amount of time, effort, and money to rectify

however, if the problem is caused by an aftermarket product that interferes with the oem equipment, the lemon law does not apply in this situation.

on another note, now you know why aftermarket equipment manufacturers have a disclaimer about your choice to install their products at your own risk and how they're not liable for your issues. having said that, a dealer must perform repairs as mandated by the factory warranty coverage (whether they give you the run-around is another story, but i digress), but they may or may not perform repairs on issues caused by aftermarket products - the discretion lies w/ whether the owner of the vehicle makes that request and whether the dealership is willing to make said repair.

btw, pawning off a car to another person even with the intimate knowledge that you knew of the issues can constitute grounds for negligence and intentional harm (if it is inflicted). trust me when i say that you do NOT want to go down that road.
Old 04-16-10, 12:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

But do we really know that? Its just someones theory. Im not 100% sold on it. There are many cars, honda, acura, VW's that people modify and put in aftermarket HID's in. Ive never heard of something as serious as this happening. I would say you probably would have to talk to the manufacturer of aftermarket HID kits and ask them if this is remotely possible.
None of these other cars have electric steering racks.

Theory? OK, I'll bite. Simple enough - has anyone here with OEM HIDs had any issues at all with their steering? So far, no one has reported this, and if they had, Lexus would most certainly be digging into it to find a root cause.

We haven't seen or heard of it, there's nothing in TIS about a steering issue other than the rack replacement for certain early model ISx50, and the rack replacement did not exhibit the symptoms we're seeing with aftermarket HIDs.

So, you can do your best to chicken little this thing, but the reality is, NO ONE with the OEM setup is having an issue.
Old 04-16-10, 12:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

This is not the point of honoring a warrenty. We all know aftermarket parts can do more harm then good to your car. But when it comes to a point that installing an aftermarket part can cause your steering wheel to turn on its own and kill you thats a problem. If the HID manufacturer has any knowledge that installing these HIDS to close to the cars ECU will cause that problem then there should be a warning label atleast on the packaging. But like I said before that is only theory and I find it hard to believe its true. The only good thing about this is the average person driving an IS hasnt come to the media about this. Believe me I hope its just an aftermarket HID problem. I just dropped $15k on this car and I plan on keeping it for awhile. I dont want to be afraid to drive it.
Therefore remove the garage shop-engineered aftermarket HID parts, car will be fine.

My IS350 has never had a steering problem, 32K miles so far.
Old 04-16-10, 12:48 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Therefore remove the garage shop-engineered aftermarket HID parts, car will be fine.

My IS350 has never had a steering problem, 32K miles so far.
i'll one-up that: oem HIDs, 51k and counting, no problems.
Old 04-16-10, 01:15 PM
HERBos
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats going on lexus???
Old 04-16-10, 01:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its not lexus, its the supposedly HID company or a stupid installer.
Old 04-16-10, 01:35 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

OEM HIDs FTW.
Old 04-16-10, 02:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HERBos
whats going on lexus???
if you took the time to read the thread, you'd know the answer to your question is "nothing."
Old 04-16-10, 03:28 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
wow...aftermarket HID lights affect the steering ecu?
just a bunch of pests speculating. they obviously never took stats.
Old 04-16-10, 05:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shui3000
just a bunch of pests speculating. they obviously never took stats.
I did!

0% of people with OEM lighting report the problem.

100% of those reporting it have aftermarket HID kits.

Correlation may not be causation, but those figures sure seem like they might mean something.
Old 04-16-10, 05:02 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
though it varies by state, the concept behind the automotive lemon law is to protect consumers from a serious, safety-compromising defect that:

- can be traced back to the original manufacturer, and
- would require a significant amount of time, effort, and money to rectify

however, if the problem is caused by an aftermarket product that interferes with the oem equipment, the lemon law does not apply in this situation.

on another note, now you know why aftermarket equipment manufacturers have a disclaimer about your choice to install their products at your own risk and how they're not liable for your issues. having said that, a dealer must perform repairs as mandated by the factory warranty coverage (whether they give you the run-around is another story, but i digress), but they may or may not perform repairs on issues caused by aftermarket products - the discretion lies w/ whether the owner of the vehicle makes that request and whether the dealership is willing to make said repair.

btw, pawning off a car to another person even with the intimate knowledge that you knew of the issues can constitute grounds for negligence and intentional harm (if it is inflicted). trust me when i say that you do NOT want to go down that road.
Hey if you take the car into the manufacture's dealership and they tell you nothing is wrong, then I guess nothing is wrong, right? You can certainly sell it without having to worry about anything. You have the service documents to prove you took it in and the dealership said it was fine. Your arguement for negligence and intentional harm will not hold up in court.

Quick Reply: My Car almost Killed me tonite.