What is XM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 08:38 AM
k2sty1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is XM?

hey guys

i live in australia, and when i watch reviews on some cars, the reviewer talks about HD Radio and XM Radio, wat are these two things??

i get HD Radio, im assuming its High Def radio, but XM....

sorry for being noob, but in australia we just have FM/AM

and wat is XM Weather and XM Traffic???

Thanks a bunch

im thinking of moving to the US after uni, or maybe even apply for some unis in LA

if i do move to america, i'll be purchasing a IS-F, cuz there only $55,000 give or take (thats wat i heard from my cousin in LA)
Old 04-17-10, 08:47 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

xm radio is satellite radio. u get more radio stations, talk shows, sports radio, and etc. think of it like satellite tv. its a monthly service you have to pay and you get extra channels. Its pretty cool. The reception is really good, only goes out a bit when you go under a tunnel or something.
Old 04-17-10, 08:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

HD radio is digital radio, broadcast in the sideband of an AM/FM station's regular broadcast signal. Some stations just simulcast their regular signal in digital, others offer one or more additional programs in digital. There is no cost to listen to HD radio, beyond the cost of buying the radio.

XM is satellite radio. It's offered on a pay-for-service model, similar to cable TV. XM offers lots of variety, some of it commercial free.
Old 04-17-10, 08:56 AM
yolodj
Driver School Candidate

XM's primary business is satellite radio entertainment. XM carries music, news (both simulcast and syndicated programming), sports, talk radio, comedy (both stand-up and radio shows), and even radio drama. In addition, XM broadcasts local weather and traffic conditions in its larger markets. The channel lineup is available on-line.

To receive satellite radio programming, a customer is required to purchase a receiver. Prices range from less than $50 to over $200. With a service commitment, it's possible to get a simple receiver for free. Monthly packages start at US$12.95/month with add-on "family" radios at US$8.99/month. Best-of-Sirius is available on US accounts for an additional monthly fee. Lifetime packages are also available (USA only). I have the lifetime package - I never listen to the AM / FM radio anymore. Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-10, 08:59 AM
k2sty1
Pole Position

ohhhh
cool
man i wish australia had that, i have cable TV, and all
but if i think bout it, i dont listen to the radio (barely, only when the good hosts are on)

but this XM Traffic thing...
is it live updates on the traffic? so u can tell where its jammed, and where its open??
THAT i could use

oh, and off topic, can u buy a Ipod charger that connects to the power thing next to the AUX jack in the console??
cuz i listen to my ipod mostly in my car, but it runs out of battery, cuz i forget to turn it off when i get out of the car, and its a itouch, so not the best battery life

i also put the volume on the ipod 3/4 (does this affect anything??)

thanks again
Old 04-17-10, 09:27 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is, it's the ugly sharkfin on the roof.

Last edited by Rash; 04-17-10 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 09:28 AM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

I have Sirius satellite radio & I love it. I will never have a car without satellite radio.
Old 04-17-10, 09:36 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
All I can say is, it's the ugly sharfin on the roof.

Yay somebody else who doesn't like it besides me haha
Old 04-17-10, 09:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by k2sty1
ohhhh
cool
man i wish australia had that, i have cable TV, and all
but if i think bout it, i dont listen to the radio (barely, only when the good hosts are on)
Well, the concept is with 100+ stations there's always something 'good' on... as you can get much lower pricing on the service than previously posted...if you're paying more than $77/yr you're doing it wrong, and you can get cheaper if you try.

but this XM Traffic thing...
is it live updates on the traffic? so u can tell where its jammed, and where its open??
THAT i could use
That's exactly what it is... new on the OEM nav for 2010... aftermarket navs have had this feature for many years now so it's nice Lexus finally entered the 21st century with it this year.

Navs with live traffic will show where it's backed up, how long the delays are, and can route you around them

oh, and off topic, can u buy a Ipod charger that connects to the power thing next to the AUX jack in the console??
cuz i listen to my ipod mostly in my car, but it runs out of battery, cuz i forget to turn it off when i get out of the car, and its a itouch, so not the best battery life

i also put the volume on the ipod 3/4 (does this affect anything??)

thanks again
Yup, there's plenty of car kits that will both charge and offer an AUX out, usually in the 20-50 buck range (US).

There's also units, considerably more expensive (150-300ish bucks US), that will avoid the AUX jack entirely and both charge and hook it directly into the stereo, allow control using the steering wheel buttons or stereo controls on the dash, display ipod info on the nav screen, etc.... these require opening the dash up a bit to install though.
Old 04-17-10, 09:45 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Yay somebody else who doesn't like it besides me haha
Man, I see lots of sharkfins on the IS, which isn't an option in UAE! I asked someone why did you install a fake sharkfin? he's like "it's actually a wing, it looks more aggressive and sporty" just wtf.
Old 04-17-10, 09:54 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have XM, but I never use it. I personally just use burned C/Ds...yeah I do not even use any MP3 player haha.

Is it reasonably possible to set up the older generation navigation to have the traffic updates if you have XM ?
Old 04-17-10, 10:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
I have XM, but I never use it. I personally just use burned C/Ds...yeah I do not even use any MP3 player haha.

Is it reasonably possible to set up the older generation navigation to have the traffic updates if you have XM ?
Nope.

One of the long list of reasons I special ordered my 08 without the outdated-tech OEM nav system.