IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PILKINGTON Windshields = CRAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 02:22 PM
Bobby206
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PILKINGTON Windshields = CRAP

Rock cracked my lexus windshield, had insurance replace it with a pilkington windshield, paid $100 deductable. I go to school, I park outside in the lot where I am exposed to the sun. Couple days later I return to my car and notice that my rearview mirror is daggling because apparently the adhesive on the metal tab came off. Called the guys who installed the windshield, they said they'll replace my windshield with another. Got a new pilkington winshield, and now 5 days later I go to my car and see my mirror daggling again because the tab unglued.

Pilkington is crap, I advise everybody to stay away from their crap products. I guess they do not know heavy our rearview mirrors. Direct sunlight will melt the tab adhesive. Anyways gave the windshield guys a call to see what they want to do.
Old 04-18-10, 02:31 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get PPG. Had safelight install it (in my driveway )and I'vex have zero problems so far.
Old 04-18-10, 02:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the mirror isn't glued on correctly, what does it have to do with the windshield itself? Use proper adhesive.
Old 04-18-10, 02:48 PM
Bobby206
Pole Position

Quality control from pilkington, if they cant even get the quality of the glue right what else could they be lacking in?
Old 04-18-10, 03:23 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby206
Quality control from pilkington, if they cant even get the quality of the glue right what else could they be lacking in?
lol, maybe a little too dramatic? anyway, good looking out on the adhesive...I need a new windshield soon
Old 04-18-10, 03:27 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ?

From anything Ive ever heard, Pilkington is a good windshield manufacturer. If you had complaints about the fitting, the optical evenness across the windshield, or other defects, then complaining would seem logical. The re-gluing of the mirror is typically done by YOUR GLASS INSTALLER. They need to get a grip!
Old 04-18-10, 03:33 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I had a pilkington installed by safelite. Had a ton of problems with wind noise. Had them replace the windshield and still didn't fix the issue. Will go OEM and spend the extra money next time.
Old 04-18-10, 03:50 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
I had a pilkington installed by safelite. Had a ton of problems with wind noise. Had them replace the windshield and still didn't fix the issue. Will go OEM and spend the extra money next time.
That's not likely the windshield either. Usually has to do with how the windshield was installed and how the installer removed and replaced the trim (especially this).
Old 04-18-10, 04:01 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I had a Pilkington installed by my family friend's repair shop and it is as good as the OEM in terms of road noise. I think it has to do with the installation.

Pilkington is a OEM manufacturer for some BMW, MB, Jaguar, models ect.
Old 04-18-10, 04:35 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my friend has the same windshield... no problems for sometime now.. u should check ur installer. sounds like a newb mistake.
Old 04-18-10, 04:37 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same friend from the post above also had a OEM windshield.. this was his 1st replacement... Wind Noise too... it was the installer problem.

Needless to say.. my friend has a bunch of badluck.. cuz he didnt have the time to book an appointment with my trusted windshield/tint guy for many many years.
Old 04-18-10, 04:39 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds more like the installer more than the glass itself
Old 04-18-10, 05:15 PM
Bobby206
Pole Position

So the metal tab that holds the rearview mirror up is done by the installer?
Old 04-18-10, 05:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The tab for the rearview COMES INSTALLED. It has nothing to do with the installer.
Old 04-18-10, 07:41 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by engin_ear
That's not likely the windshield either. Usually has to do with how the windshield was installed and how the installer removed and replaced the trim (especially this).
Could be. Fitment may not be the best either. I think the dealer would have done a better job with install. They probably would have replaced the trim instead of reusing the old.

Quick Reply: PILKINGTON Windshields = CRAP