Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, huge bummer.
Old 04-19-10, 10:01 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Interestingly, they took the bag, but they left my $250 oakley's in the center cup holder.

This would be consistent if the car alarm did indeed go off. You would expect them to grab whatever they can and bail as quickly as possible.
probably didnt want to risk the extra time and have the sunglasses be some cheap designer fakes
Old 04-19-10, 10:05 PM
promoguy
Driver

damn that sucks...what kinda laptop do you have that cost $3000???
Old 04-19-10, 10:21 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

thats really unfortunate! hopefully the goods can be recovered, and that justice is served for the thief.
Old 04-19-10, 10:54 PM
VF84
Pole Position

By the way, how does the car alarm in our cars work? Did the alarm go off? Did it..automatically turn off after a while?

I just realized that I received no indication that any sort of alarm went off.

i doubt ur car alarm went off. if i'm not mistaken, usually the alarm only trips if the doors are opened. u need to install aftermarket window alarms. my factory alarm didn't trip when some idiots broke my passenger side window to take a $50 baby carrier, in front of my house...would've gladly given them 50 or even 100 to leave my car alone. damage was minimal, but door frame was gauged up top.. and gfm is a pita to paint properly.
Old 04-19-10, 10:59 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea sadly our alarms arent triggered if only the windows are broken.

karma will get them
Old 04-19-10, 11:36 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how do you upgrade the alarms for our cars? is there a particular brand thats good? or do you get this done at the dealer?
Old 04-20-10, 12:09 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

laptop in the open and not in the trunk~ de de deeee~ (carlos mencia voice)

as for the ppl who say 'karma'... just so everyone is clear on this subject, karma works both ways - OP is paying for karma now and thieves will pay for karma later...
Old 04-20-10, 12:15 AM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear that. One thing I always do is make sure to keep the inside of the car as empty as possible. I dont even leave pennies on the floor. Hope you get the labtop back.
Old 04-20-10, 12:17 AM
VF84
Pole Position

i believe the LS came with window alarms (someone correct me if i'm wrong). dealer is probably gonna be expensive, if they even offer it. u can always go aftermarket. a good place to start researching (whether or not u buy from them is ur choice) is crutchfield, they have a few selections.
Old 04-20-10, 03:02 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The laptop was in a case, IN my backpack, so it wasn't as though it was out in the open.

I wonder, had this car been a broken down ford focus, would the culprits still have smashed through the window?

Maybe they expected something valuable in the bag given the type of car. Unfortunately for me, they turned out to be right.
Interestingly, they took the bag, but they left my $250 oakley's in the center cup holder.

This would be consistent if the car alarm did indeed go off. You would expect them to grab whatever they can and bail as quickly as possible.
unfortunate for you, but leaving anything in the open is asking for trouble. no matter where you go, even in the best of areas, someone who sees a backpack sees it as a big payday. electronics, money, etc. they don't care about rummaging through your car, it's probably was just a smash and grab.

a few years back, some guy in one of my classes got his car broken into cause he left his backpack out in plain view. don't think there was any valuables inside, just notes and stuff.

the school is a pretty secure and isolated area too, the school is on top of a mountain(small one). 5 minute drive up from the bottom. pretty much nothing else except the university.

only thing i leave out in the open is a cheapo windshield reflector.
Old 04-20-10, 09:53 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by promoguy
damn that sucks...what kinda laptop do you have that cost $3000???
I was wondering the same thing.

Im sorry to hear about this I hope everything gets resolved in a timely manner.
Old 04-20-10, 10:06 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Laptop was a brand new 17 inch macbook pro (apple, hence the seemingly egregious price).

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-.../dp/B000VR3P9K

I've got a damage assessment meeting for my insurance claim for the car on wednesday.

You know what's scarier - I had a 9 mm Glock in my center compartment. Really fortunate that this vermin didn't steal my firearm.

Despite having a concealed handgun license, I rarely exercise the authority and opt to keep it in my car's center compartment.
Old 04-20-10, 10:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I filed a police report, a very nice officer came down to look at the damage, check for potential prints.

Unfortunately, no prints were found.

Fortunately, if these **** stains try and sell my laptop off at a pawn shop (officer said this is the most likely case) there may be a chance to nail them. Why? Because I know the serial number for my laptop, and they will put it into some database that pawn shops (hopefully) check whenever they receive an item.

I'm going to call the insurance tomorrow morning.
I don't think Philly cops would even come. They certainly wouldn't check for prints...
Old 04-20-10, 10:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The laptop was in a case, IN my backpack, so it wasn't as though it was out in the open.

I wonder, had this car been a broken down ford focus, would the culprits still have smashed through the window?

Maybe they expected something valuable in the bag given the type of car. Unfortunately for me, they turned out to be right.
Doesn't matter--these dirtbags see a backpack or a bag, they'll swipe it on percentages that there's something in there.

Quick Reply: Well, my IS350 got broken into