IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Well, my IS350 got broken into

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 11:00 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always wondered, if you saw someone breaking into or vandalizing your car, could you still be charged with assault if you beat the ***** out of him/her? I'd assume so, even though the thief would deserve it.
Old 04-20-10, 12:19 PM
sandwiches
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this, man. Rule of thumb: every time you leave your car, the interior should look exactly as it did on the showroom floor.
Old 04-20-10, 12:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the incident.

But leaving a $3000 laptop in sight inside of a car in any neighborhood most likely will lead to the same result these days.
Old 04-20-10, 01:15 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have to leave something valuable in the car, I would hide it underneath the seats. If someone break into my car, they would check the glove compartment first, then the center console. The trunk also isn't a good idea since many thieves can pop the trunk with proper tool.

I had a laptop/GPS in my car and I didn't want to carry with me..so I just slide it underneath the car seat through the back.

Last edited by Initial_K; 04-20-10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 02:13 PM
djbugz
Pole Position

I was wondering.. Do you have tinted windows? I always wondered.. would something like this have happened if the thieves couldn't see the laptop inside or would it have happened anyways? Just something a friend mentioned... Just another reason to tint my windows all the way around. But like everyone says, I just try to keep nothing out in the open... Sucks though, sorry man...
Old 04-20-10, 02:26 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

A laptop in a car will attract trouble. I don't know how but some low lives have nothing else to do. Leave it in trunk. Of course don't let anybody see you do that.

Last edited by KA8; 04-20-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 03:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

These days you leave $3.00 worth of quarters in a open ashtray (so that's it visible), you are asking for trouble.
Old 04-20-10, 03:10 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial_K
...The trunk also isn't a good idea since many thieves can pop the trunk with proper tool....
but the point is, they wont pop the trunk on any random cars UNLESS you got stuff visible inside the car, thief walks by a car sees nothing inside hes not gonna risk trying to pop the trunk too... (usually)
Old 04-20-10, 03:26 PM
zet
Driver

That sucks man. You should also check craigslist along with pawnshops. Or even ebay to some extent (I never used ebay, so not sure if you can obtain the serial # or not).

Good luck
Old 04-20-10, 03:32 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
but the point is, they wont pop the trunk on any random cars UNLESS you got stuff visible inside the car, thief walks by a car sees nothing inside hes not gonna risk trying to pop the trunk too... (usually)
Can't say it happen in all parts of the US but there's a high GTA crime rate in the LA area even petty items.

My dad got his honda civic trunk pop in front of our house and they stole a spare tire and the jack. My brother's girlfriend also got her car broken into, they stole a jacket and a 50 head unit. The window cost repair cost more than that.

I don't keep anything important in my trunk, only booze in their for pre-party clubbing If they break a window to get into the car, the next obvious choice is to pop the trunk by pressing a simple button.

In less crime ridden area, I guess the trunk is fine.

Last edited by Initial_K; 04-20-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 03:50 PM
Mokey
Rookie

Originally Posted by new.era.13
Sorry to hear that, Karma will get those ****ers. Hopefully the insurance will cover everything.
Or maybe karma got carLX! HAHA J/K
Old 04-20-10, 04:35 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sorry to hear about the incident.

But leaving a $3000 laptop in sight inside of a car in any neighborhood most likely will lead to the same result these days.
Very true, and lesson learned for sure. I think part of the problem is that, I live in a rather affluent neighborhood where we can literally leave our front doors unlocked and our garages open, and nothing happens. Hell, I left $100 under our flower pot outside our front door one time, semi-out-in-the-open, for my friend to pick up maybe a day later. No problems. It's a nice, isolated, gated community with $2M+ houses galore. Paradoxical perhaps - you might expect such a community to be a huge target on the radar for thieves, but nope. It's well guarded, frequently patrolled, and most importantly, it's virtually on the other side of town from the grungier, thieving type.

I guess the point is, it's possible to become somewhat desensitized to the actual dangers of the world when you're isolated in your safe, but not-of-the-norm "bubble."

Originally Posted by djbugz
I was wondering.. Do you have tinted windows? I always wondered.. would something like this have happened if the thieves couldn't see the laptop inside or would it have happened anyways? Just something a friend mentioned... Just another reason to tint my windows all the way around. But like everyone says, I just try to keep nothing out in the open... Sucks though, sorry man...
I do indeed have tinted windows. I have the maximum (legal) allowable tint for Texas.
Old 04-20-10, 04:37 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
I always wondered, if you saw someone breaking into or vandalizing your car, could you still be charged with assault if you beat the ***** out of him/her? I'd assume so, even though the thief would deserve it.
In Texas, you are free from civil suit if you attack somebody who is trespassing or attacking you in your home or your car. It's called the "castle doctrine" -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_..._United_States

edit:

"Alabama,[9] Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah,[10] West Virginia and Wyoming have adopted Castle Doctrine statutes"
Old 04-20-10, 06:07 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Hell my wife would ALWAYS leave her bank card and ID in the cup holder in plain view of everyone!! It would **** the hell out of me. One day she lost her bank card, not from the car, i think she just dropped it. With in 30 minutes the bastards had spent over $200 bucks!! EVEN THO THE CARD SAID "SEE ID" ON THE SIGNATURE AREA!!

It took 2 weeks of her not having a bank card, and me not giving her any cash (she had to go inside the bank every time) to learn Not to leave ANYTHING in the car because i be someone would eventually brake the window to take it!

BTW the F heads likely did not take your glasses simply because they are losers and have NEVER and WILL NEVER see a good pair of glasses in their life. So they likely saw them but never stoped to think they were worth anything.
Old 04-20-10, 09:52 PM
tw88
Rookie

A lot of times, the information that's on a laptop (personal info that can be used for identity theft) is worth more than the laptop itself. Hope that's not the case here.