IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Well, my IS350 got broken into

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 08:33 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well, my IS350 got broken into

I'm parked in a well lit parking lot, near a posh restaurant (albeit the parking lot is home to a slew of stores, as well as a bus stop that frequently harbors the grungy "I'm addicted to 23497 illegal drugs" type - I discovered this from the manager of the restaurant who told me after he heard about the incident)

And... some god damned piece of **** smashed open my passenger side window and stole my $3000 laptop.

Console me, please.

Lessons learned for my fellow Lexus brethren to avoid this sort of thing in the future -

1) Never, ever, EVER have valuables out in the open in your car when parked. Ever. Yeah, they drill this into you about a billion times over the course of your life.

2) Perhaps it's better to park "amongst the crowd" rather than isolate yourself in a parking lot.

I was isolated in this parking lot, my car was very well lit, and it was the one broken into.

Correlation yes, but something to think about.

God I am so ****ing fuming right about now, but fortunately the good news is, it appears as though these scums of society literally just pried open the metal frame, smashed my window, and grabbed the bag, so there's no other damage to the car.

Oh, and here's luck for you - I told the manager of the restaurant about this and asked if he had any surveillance cameras. No, no cameras YET... they were literally going getting surveillance cameras installed this thursday. Just my luck.
Old 04-19-10, 08:50 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks to hear man. Karma will get to those low lives.. Your insurance is covering your stolen items and damages?
Old 04-19-10, 08:53 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

I filed a police report, a very nice officer came down to look at the damage, check for potential prints.

Unfortunately, no prints were found.

Fortunately, if these **** stains try and sell my laptop off at a pawn shop (officer said this is the most likely case) there may be a chance to nail them. Why? Because I know the serial number for my laptop, and they will put it into some database that pawn shops (hopefully) check whenever they receive an item.

I'm going to call the insurance tomorrow morning.
Old 04-19-10, 08:54 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. One of the things that I hate the most in the world is when someone steals from me. Im not a hateful person but sometimes I wish that right after they steal something, something bad would happen to them.
Last week I had to leave my laptop in the car so I took it out of the case and placed it under the trunk mat.
Old 04-19-10, 08:57 PM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear that. And yes, never ever EVER EVERRR leave valuable stuff in the car. I work for a medical clinic and our patient parking lot is behind some bad apartments and this stuff happens all the time when patients leave their valuable electronics in their cars.
Old 04-19-10, 08:59 PM
thechosun
Driver

sad, almost same exact thing happened to me, cept it was my company laptop that was stolen. idiots must have screwed up the break in the first time because they chipped my pillar covers before actually just breaking the window.
Old 04-19-10, 09:01 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

:\ sorry to hear that bro...keep us updated if the crooks get caught!
Old 04-19-10, 09:04 PM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Ouch, that really sucks. I always make sure never to leave anything that may be visible through the windows. I always trunk the thing.

I hope you catch the thief and get back what is rightfully yours.
Old 04-19-10, 09:06 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never even leave my laptops in the trunk when I leave the car. My interior is always completely void of anything that did not come with the car.
Old 04-19-10, 09:07 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Yeah good call on hiding the laptop.

I guess this goes to show you - you should always be very aware of your surroundings. My thought process was "I'm parked in front of a posh restaurant, who would possibly steal stuff from my car." But nope, there's a bus stop right there, I should've known better.

Originally Posted by thechosun
sad, almost same exact thing happened to me, cept it was my company laptop that was stolen. idiots must have screwed up the break in the first time because they chipped my pillar covers before actually just breaking the window.
They did this to my car. They first chipped the pillar cover, then they bent the underlying metal frame.

By the way, how does the car alarm in our cars work? Did the alarm go off? Did it..automatically turn off after a while?

I just realized that I received no indication that any sort of alarm went off.
Old 04-19-10, 09:15 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carLx
Yeah good call on hiding the laptop.

I guess this goes to show you - you should always be very aware of your surroundings. My thought process was "I'm parked in front of a posh restaurant, who would possibly steal stuff from my car." But nope, there's a bus stop right there, I should've known better.

They did this to my car. They first chipped the pillar cover, then they bent the underlying metal frame.

By the way, how does the car alarm in our cars work? Did the alarm go off? Did it..automatically turn off after a while?

I just realized that I received no indication that any sort of alarm went off.
I think the alarm automatically turns off after a while, and did you have the laptop in a case or just out?
Old 04-19-10, 09:31 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

The laptop was in a case, IN my backpack, so it wasn't as though it was out in the open.

I wonder, had this car been a broken down ford focus, would the culprits still have smashed through the window?

Maybe they expected something valuable in the bag given the type of car. Unfortunately for me, they turned out to be right.
Old 04-19-10, 09:32 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Interestingly, they took the bag, but they left my $250 oakley's in the center cup holder.

This would be consistent if the car alarm did indeed go off. You would expect them to grab whatever they can and bail as quickly as possible.
Old 04-19-10, 09:36 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

im sorry to hear that. I would invest in upgrading your OEM alarm with a glass breakage sensor and a tilt sensor (just in case) like i did. IMO 350 well spent. I know an alarm wont stop people from breaking into your car, but its just piece of mind for me.
Old 04-19-10, 09:55 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, Karma will get those ****ers. Hopefully the insurance will cover everything.

Quick Reply: Well, my IS350 got broken into