IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

335i to IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 01:34 PM
DoubleURX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice! It's good to see a fellow utah driver, I don't see too many Utahns on this forum let alone anyone that mods IS's in Utah.
Old 04-20-10, 05:07 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was gona say... but since u dont care about speed uve just made the best choice of your life.
Old 04-20-10, 05:33 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

somebody needs to make a car with a soul of a BMW and the reliablity of a Lexus. One more thing.....Bring back a decent manual tranny (lexus are you listening?)
Old 04-20-10, 05:39 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrat's on your purchase and welcome back to the Lexus family!

PS I saw you mentioned tires, FWIW I have Michelin PS AS+ and I think they are the perfect tire for the AWD car.
Old 04-20-10, 06:47 PM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

Congrats dude. I must say I was a big fan of BMW, but after driven the 320i, I cant be more happier with my 2IS so u sir, made a good choice. Lol. Welcome to CL. I am sure u will enjoy it here. Fellow members here are the best
Old 04-20-10, 08:15 PM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

i love the awd in the is ive had the s2k and is300 in the snow and its not pretty, past to winters for me are a breeze driving
Old 04-21-10, 05:14 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

My friend had a 335 for a short time. He ended up getting rid of it because of the fuel pump problems (and other issues). He said before the pump would fail it would give signs it was about to fail (starting issues). When he went to the Stealer they told him they could not do anything until it failed. So every time he drove the car he was waiting for it to fail. He could not live with this dark cloud hanging over the car.

Koz
Old 04-21-10, 09:55 AM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmocchi
Funny how Toyota is the current manufacturer under the media scope in regards to quality issues yet my 335 and previous audi give me the impression as though they were assembled in a 3rd world country somewhere where moisture seeped into every single electronic compartment.
All kidding aside, if reliability is your thing then you wont be disappointed by your IS. Although Im not a fan of the BMW's austere looking interior I must say that the quality of plastic is definately better than that of the Lexus which creaks and craks over time
There is something to what you say. The 335 definitely felt more "solid" and refined. No question there is a long heritage of engineering that goes into the 3'ers. I would get a random rattle here or there in the 335, but first thing I noticed driving the IS is that every significant bump produces a multitude of rattles from the dash/stereo area. Big difference from the 335 or even the SC400. I know there are TSBs for these, but the car is just barely out of warranty.

Which, by the way, is one thing I may do differently if I had to buy this car again. Prior owner took excellent care of the car, but no TSBs were performed as far as I can tell. The dash rattle and the rearview mirror as well as the ground loop so you can avoid interference while charging an Ipod would have been nice. The chrome on the shifter and the shift gate was also peeling, which the dealer told me would have been replaced under warranty if the prior owner had gotten in there 2 months ago and asked for it. Since I didn't buy it from them, goodwill fixes were out of the question.
Old 04-21-10, 09:55 AM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TripleL
Congrat's on your purchase and welcome back to the Lexus family!

PS I saw you mentioned tires, FWIW I have Michelin PS AS+ and I think they are the perfect tire for the AWD car.
Have you driven them much in snow at highway speed?
Old 04-21-10, 10:56 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cda888
Have you driven them much in snow at highway speed?
I've had these tires about 15 months now so I've been thru a full New England winter and a half I'd say. I find them to be superb in the snow on both highways and secondary roads. Driving appropriately to the conditions the car feels very planted and tracks well. This is a far cry from the OEM RE92s that came with the car in which the car would get twitchy when snow or even rain was just in the forecast. (ok thats a slight exaggeration but point made )

I find them to be a quiet and smooth running tire. I should point out that although I do have the OEM wheels I did upsize the aspect ratio of the tires from 45 series to 50 series. I did this because a wanted a little better ride quality over these rough NE roads and a little better snow/rain traction. They also very nicely fill in the wheel well. I did have to do a 15 min mod with a heat gun in two little spots to avoid rubbing but it was a snap.

Again congrat's on your purchase and please let us know if there is anything we can help with.
Old 04-21-10, 03:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus fam!
Old 04-21-10, 05:42 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back to Lexus!

Throw some F-sport sway bars on your 2IS and you won't miss the BMW at all when you're driving through some twisties.
Old 04-21-10, 08:33 PM
NCLexi250
Pole Position

Congrats on your new ride. I had a major issue too at first going from a 300+ hp car to one w/ slightly over 200, but the pure rush and enjoyment of crazy acceleration did run out after awhile.

Welcome back to the awesome Lexus family!
Old 04-22-10, 12:36 PM
cda888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NCLexi250
Congrats on your new ride. I had a major issue too at first going from a 300+ hp car to one w/ slightly over 200, but the pure rush and enjoyment of crazy acceleration did run out after awhile.

Welcome back to the awesome Lexus family!
Yeah, I was starting to feel like it may be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Add AWD so you can really stick through corners, and its has its own kind of entertainment.
Old 04-22-10, 01:00 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by cda888
I was hoping I could get by with Michelin PS AS or Conti Extreme Contacts. We'll find out. The car cam with Kumho ASX which I expect won't be great in the snow.,
It's usually well documented on a website like tirerack.com

The customer ratings were spot on for the OEM rubber as well as the showtires that I proceeded to buy.

Instead of taking a chance, you can look your current tires up and decide best how to upgrade if need be.

Quick Reply: 335i to IS250 AWD