IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying an 06 IS 250

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 05:20 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an 06 IS 250

I've recently been looking at purchasing a 2006-2007 Lexus IS 250 with around 50,000 miles.
  • I know the 60,000 mile scheduled maintenance inspection is one of the first largest costs the IS comes to, and am wondering if anyone thinks it may be feasible to work a deal with an authorized dealer to include the 60,000 mile inspection free with the purchase of the car (depending on how close the car is to 60,000 miles). Has anyone ever attempted this or have any thoughts?

If they would not do it, do you feel it may be worthwhile to just purchase the car with 60,000 miles to where the 60,000 Mile Scheduled Maintenance Inspection has already been completed?

I really don't want to buy a ~55,000 mile car just to turn around and pay $1,000 - $1,500 in maintenance costs.

Most of the cars I have found that are certified come with an additional 3 year/100,000 mile warranty from Lexus.
  • Do you feel it is worth paying the additional cost (~1,500 - 2,000) to buy a certified car from a Lexus dealer, versus a private seller or non-Lexus dealer, to have this warranty on the car?
  • If buying the Lexus from a Private Seller or non-Lexus dealer, has anyone ever had the seller take the car to a Lexus/Toyota dealer of their choice and have them do a thorough inspection of the car; to be able to review the results and actual condition of the car before purchasing it? Anyone have any idea what a Lexus/Toyota dealer would charge to do the inspection?

Thanks for all your help!

Greg
Old 04-20-10, 05:50 PM
dslxicisnf
Driver School Candidate

120 point (or so) pre-purchase dealer inspection was quoted to me at $130. You would pay that cost. About an hour. Make an appt. I didn't do it because Carmax wouldn't let me, unless I PURCHASED the car first. Yeah, right. So I drove to the Lexus dealer and got an 06, w/ "gold" extended warranty. 4 yr, all mechanicals, fewish of the electronic toys, are covered. $2k.

Grind the dealer on the 60k mile cost if you are looking at one with 5X,000 miles?
Old 04-20-10, 05:55 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60k maintenance?

shouldn't be too much compared to the 15k/30k/45k service.

There is:

No replacing timing belt, it has a timing chain which needs to be inspected and only replaced if something is wrong with it.

No need to replace Transmission fluid as it has lifetime fluid.

No need to adjust valves as they are self adjusting.

What I can see need replacing possibly is the brake pads. replacing differential fluid.
Old 04-20-10, 06:12 PM
JitsDoIt
Driver School Candidate

What price you looking to get it at? i'm also looking at a used IS250 but going for AWD 06-07 as well.
Old 04-20-10, 09:33 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

First, don't ever go into a dealer and ask for the "X miles" service.

They'll charge you 3x the actual cost of what you need done and not do anything extra.

What a 2IS actually needs done for scheduled maintenance-

Every 5k miles- Oil change (it doesn't need it anywhere near this often, especially with synthetic, but going by the book here)

Every 15k- Check air/engine filters (you can change these yourself for free in about 5 minutes each if needed)

Every 30k- Change brake fluid

Every 60k- Change spark plugs

Every 100k- Change coolant.

That's it

Anything else is the dealer selling you crap you don't need.

At my dealership for example an oil change is $50.

The 10k mile service is $120.

Know what you need done by the book at 10k miles?

An oil change.

Like I said, don't ever go into a dealer and ask for the "X miles" service.
Old 04-20-10, 09:37 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

How is your mechanical ability? If you have slim to none, my recommendation is to play it "better safe than sorry." That way you have a piece of mind that the car is good to go.

At the mileage for me personally, I would spend the little extra and go with the dealer. Unless a private owner has all the maintenance records and it was done at regular intervals, I wouldn't trust it.

Also, the dealer cars usually get touched up from when they are first bought. Another thing is that if something does go wrong with the car, you are protected under the lemon law if the dealer sold you junk. If it was a private seller, you are SOL.
Old 04-21-10, 05:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitecel
How is your mechanical ability? If you have slim to none, my recommendation is to play it "better safe than sorry." That way you have a piece of mind that the car is good to go.

At the mileage for me personally, I would spend the little extra and go with the dealer. Unless a private owner has all the maintenance records and it was done at regular intervals, I wouldn't trust it.

Also, the dealer cars usually get touched up from when they are first bought. Another thing is that if something does go wrong with the car, you are protected under the lemon law if the dealer sold you junk. If it was a private seller, you are SOL.
Original poster is in Oklahoma- OK lemon laws don't cover used cars.... neither do those in many other states.

(though obviously the Lexus warranty would fix any problems if it was CPO)
Old 04-21-10, 05:51 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz

They'll charge you 3x the actual cost of what you need done and not do anything extra.

Every 5k miles- Oil change (it doesn't need it anywhere near this often, especially with synthetic, but going by the book here)

Every 15k- Check air/engine filters (you can change these yourself for free in about 5 minutes each if needed)

That's it

An oil change.

Kurtz gave the best advice. I bought my 06 350 last year with 54k miles on it knowing the 60k was coming up. I bought the spark plugs from Lexus, then took it to a shop I trust to change them and do the brake fluid. I replaced the filters myself. Total cost was around $300 for everything (parts and labor). If you can do the spark plug change yourself you can probably do the job for under $200.

Before buying the car if you can get the VIN you should be able to log onto Lexus's website and see the service records (atleast all the ones performed by Lexus). While CPO is good and worth it if the difference is only in the $2k range, when I got my car I got such a good deal that the difference between what I paid and a comparable CPO car was about $5k. I bought an extended warranty thru the finance company in case anything major happens but so far I havent had any issues. The power train warranty covers me until 70k which Lexus has already covered one issue under the warranty for me with no hassle at all (Cam shaft TSB).

As long as whatever car you look at has been well maintained, dont let the 60k service turn you off if you're getting a good deal, its nowhere near as bad as the dealer makes it sound if you follow Kurtz advice.
Old 04-21-10, 07:34 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
Kurtz gave the best advice. I bought my 06 350 last year with 54k miles on it knowing the 60k was coming up. I bought the spark plugs from Lexus, then took it to a shop I trust to change them and do the brake fluid. I replaced the filters myself. Total cost was around $300 for everything (parts and labor). If you can do the spark plug change yourself you can probably do the job for under $200.

Before buying the car if you can get the VIN you should be able to log onto Lexus's website and see the service records (atleast all the ones performed by Lexus). While CPO is good and worth it if the difference is only in the $2k range, when I got my car I got such a good deal that the difference between what I paid and a comparable CPO car was about $5k. I bought an extended warranty thru the finance company in case anything major happens but so far I havent had any issues. The power train warranty covers me until 70k which Lexus has already covered one issue under the warranty for me with no hassle at all (Cam shaft TSB).

As long as whatever car you look at has been well maintained, dont let the 60k service turn you off if you're getting a good deal, its nowhere near as bad as the dealer makes it sound if you follow Kurtz advice.
Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm not mechanically sound at all. Unless the price difference between a CPO and a used car from a private seller (in which I can verify all maintenance is completed by an approved tech) is significantly large, I think the 3 year / 100,000 mile OEM warranty from Lexus on a 5X,000 and a Lexus-inspected CPO car would be worth it. From what I have found so far is that the price difference isn't that much between a CPO or private seller, and I don't have the headache of tracking down the maintenance history of a privately sold car.

At the same time, if I can negotiate certain items that are listed on the 60K service be completed at time of purchase (spark plugs, oil change, filters, brake fluid, coolant, etc...), why not? Do you think they would negotiate that into the purchase terms?

Also, I will be moving and purchasing and vehicle in Texas; although I'm not sure if TX accepts Lemon Laws or not either.
Old 04-21-10, 12:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Also, I will be moving and purchasing and vehicle in Texas; although I'm not sure if TX accepts Lemon Laws or not either.

http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm

Your used vehicle may be covered under the Lemon Law. The Law may cover your vehicle if your used vehicle is still covered by the manufacturer's original warranty (not an extended service contract), or if the problem started while under warranty and it continues to exist, repair assistance of the warranty-related problem may be available to you.

Pretty sure CPO would count as "extended service contract" though at 55k the powertrain at least would still be under original warranty for a bit longer.
Old 04-21-10, 03:30 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

just bought a 06 is250 nav 22222 60k miles OTD. know the price wasnt the best but car was super clean =) and usually the dealer does it for you.
Old 04-21-10, 06:00 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm

Pretty sure CPO would count as "extended service contract" though at 55k the powertrain at least would still be under original warranty for a bit longer.
If the car is a Lexus CPO, why would I even have to worry about the car being a Lemon?

I'll shop around and see what I can find. I'm looking to pay around low 20s, but even more-so I'm looking for Black/Black.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-21-10, 07:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
If the car is a Lexus CPO, why would I even have to worry about the car being a Lemon?

You shouldn't, honestly... I was just replying to the earlier poster who mentioned lemon laws by pointing out they often don't apply to used cars in general.
Old 04-24-10, 08:51 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it

An oil change.

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I have a related question for Kurtz. I'm in Canada and use kilometers rather than miles. Because I drive so little, I average about 8000km per year (5000 miles) I've been doing oil changes every 6 months. In the 3.5 years I've owned the car I have replaced the engine and cabin filters once (last October) and have had done a brake service (1.5 years ago. Probably didn't need it but who knows). Come this October the car will be 4yrs old. I intend to have the oil changed as usual and a brake service w/ fluid flush. Is that enough? What would be the correct schedule for things going forward based on time rather than mileage?

Thanks
Old 04-24-10, 03:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by totalstu
Not wishing to hijack the thread but I have a related question for Kurtz. I'm in Canada and use kilometers rather than miles. Because I drive so little, I average about 8000km per year (5000 miles) I've been doing oil changes every 6 months. In the 3.5 years I've owned the car I have replaced the engine and cabin filters once (last October) and have had done a brake service (1.5 years ago. Probably didn't need it but who knows). Come this October the car will be 4yrs old. I intend to have the oil changed as usual and a brake service w/ fluid flush. Is that enough? What would be the correct schedule for things going forward based on time rather than mileage?

Thanks

Well, some things care about miles, some about time, some it depends... I'll try and give you my thoughts on the various issues-

Brake fluid cares about time. It absorbs water over time, regardless of driving it. I'd change this every 2 years regardless of miles. Lots of people don't, but they should.

Oil- this is really depends on what you use and how you drive it. If you use conventional oil and you make many short trips you should change it every 3 months regardless of mileage...because you're never letting it reach operating temps to burn crap off.

If your 5000 miles a year is more like infrequent, but longer, trips, then I'd suggest you put a good synthetic oil in there and just change everything once a year (and I bet with something really good like Amsoil that used oil analysis would show you could get away with once every 2 years with that mileage and style of driving to be honest but most folks won't be comfortable with this and you'd be doing the UOA so rarely it'd be best to stick to 1/yr)

The engine and cabin filters are really going to get dirty with use, so mileage is probably fine there... if you went to the 1/yr oil changes I'd look at them at the same time you did the oil change since they're so easy to get to, but probably only change them once every 2-3 years based on 5k miles/yr and how they looked when you check em.

Spark plugs I'd probably stick closer to mileage as well, so you're probably looking at a once/10 years kinda thing.... though after 5-6 years I might take a peek at an easy-to-get-to one just to see how it's looking...coolant even longer though you might just do them both at 10 years since it's then unlikely you'd ever need to do it again unless you began driving it more or you kept it a very long time.

Quick Reply: Buying an 06 IS 250