IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson Speaker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 11:21 AM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Speaker Issues

Hello everyone! New to the group. I have been lurking for quite some time now.

Here is my situation. I purchased a 2006 IS350 (still under warranty) back in January. The ML system didn't sound quite right. After a few visits to the dealer and some tips from the board, I discovered the rear sub was dead. No vibration or anything coming from the speaker itself. The dealer finally replaced it, but only after I removed the rear seat and confirmed it was dead myself.

I also mentioned to them that the rear mids / lows were not working. They said they made some adjustments to the computer to fix them. However when I got the car back, they still weren't working. I was happy the sub was finally fixed though.

After a few weeks it seems as if the mids in the front are not working either. I can open all of the doors and place my ear next to the are each speaker is. My system sounds like all highs, no mids, and great lows (from the new sub). Its pretty obvious when listening to rock music. Anything modern like Black Eyed Peas sounds great. Obviously because they use highs and lows, not much inbetween.

Has anyone else had issues with their ML system? I find it a bit odd that the blown speaker wasn't moving at all. Typically when speakers are blown they rattle or sound like junk. I am getting nothing out of the speakers that are in question. Perhaps its an amp issue causing the speakers to fail?

I don't want to keep taking the car in, only to be told its working fine.

The car is going back in tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems. I hate being "that guy" but I just want it to sound right.
Old 04-21-10, 11:53 AM
LyleBeach
Pit Crew

Hey, if it's not right... then it's not right. No shame bringing it back in until your satisfied.

Make the tech get down and have him hear that there is no noise coming from the speakers. simple as that.

When they "say" they are done, confirm this before you leave the dealership.
Old 04-21-10, 12:22 PM
djbugz
Pole Position

I agree...

Originally Posted by LyleBeach
Hey, if it's not right... then it's not right. No shame bringing it back in until your satisfied.

Make the tech get down and have him hear that there is no noise coming from the speakers. simple as that.

When they "say" they are done, confirm this before you leave the dealership.
also, where is the rear sub? i've always wondered... I've tried to do a search, but nothing came up on where it actually was or how to get to it.. Any info would be great..
Old 04-21-10, 12:46 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like the subwoofer is located on the rear deck, right in front of the rear sunshade.....don't you see the massive speaker grill cover?
Old 04-21-10, 01:23 PM
zeuolaxxx
Pole Position

can you do a DIY (w/pictures) to get the subwoofer out!!? I need to fix mine...
Old 04-21-10, 03:17 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the rear seat, and lift up the rear deck, and bam its right there.
Old 04-21-10, 03:29 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i would record a high, a mid, and a low onto a cd and bring it into the dealership. have the tech listen to the speakers, theres no way they can deny the speakers working this way
Old 04-21-10, 09:11 PM
zeuolaxxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mv350
remove the rear seat, and lift up the rear deck, and bam its right there.
where are the bolts to remove the rear seat?? do I need to take off the c pillar, etc??
Old 04-28-10, 09:44 AM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't notified that I had any responses, need to turn that on.

There is a thread that shows the details on removing the sub. As it was mentioned earlier, you need to remove the rear seat, pulling up on the bottom section, and then removing the bolts for the upper section.

There are some clips on the rear decklid, it lifts up slightly and then forward.

Here is the link I used, its for a GS, but its pretty much the same concept.

http://bananags.grantham-internation...DIY/rear_deck/

The dealer is replacing the amp. I noticed with cooler weather, the mids sounded better. When the car was parked outside all day in 75+ degree temps, the mids were totally gone. Should be swapped out this week. I will update you guys with the outcome.

Last edited by TxAdamFitz; 04-28-10 at 09:49 AM. Reason: update