Bumper Tab Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 10:38 AM
B16A2NR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsm3FIDDY
Here ya go boys!

ok, I did this mod, heated and pushed in the fender liner in that area. I got a little more clearance. However now my tire is rubbing on fender liner where the large metal bracket and black plastic area that is sandwiched in between the metal bracket and fender. What is the proper procedure to modify or remove this and allow for more clearance? I bent the bracket a little bit to allow for more clearance and it appears to have pushed my bumper slighly away from the fender edge. I don't want to remove a part that supports the fitment and correct body panel alignment of the bumper/fender. I did notice that there are some bolts that hold the bracket in place, however I can't confirm that it is only 2 bolts that is holding it secure.

Last edited by B16A2NR; 02-28-12 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 02:56 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B16A2NR
ok, I did this mod, heated and pushed in the fender liner in that area. I got a little more clearance. However now my tire is rubbing on fender liner where the large metal bracket and black plastic area that is sandwiched in between the metal bracket and fender. What is the proper procedure to modify or remove this and allow for more clearance? I bent the bracket a little bit to allow for more clearance and it appears to have pushed my bumper slighly away from the fender edge. I don't want to remove a part that supports the fitment and correct body panel alignment of the bumper/fender. I did notice that there are some bolts that hold the bracket in place, however I can't confirm that it is only 2 bolts that is holding it secure.
2 Simple answers

1. Take it to the body shop then cut whatever youre rubbing and add some bumper support deeper inside of the bumper.

2. RAISE YOUR CAR!

If you wanna drive low, you gotta deal with it. Majority of us have already gotten used to the rubbing.

Last edited by steezy; 02-28-12 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 03:06 PM
B16A2NR
Rookie

Originally Posted by steezy
2 Simple answers

1. Take it to the body shop then cut whatever youre rubbing and add some bumper support deeper inside of the bumper.

2. RAISE YOUR CAR!

If you wanna drive low, you gotta deal with it. Majority of us have already gotten used to the rubbing.

I just want to know what the metal bracket and black plastic piece are designed to do, so I can figure out a solution that replaces whatever it does. I post here on the forum, because there are plenty of members with more experience who went through the same troubleshooting and could point me in the right direction without a smart *** response, saving me hours of goofing around. Isn't that the point of the internet? If you don't know what the bracket does then don't respond.
Old 02-28-12, 03:16 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

I just want to know what the metal bracket and black plastic piece are designed to do, so I can figure out a solution that replaces whatever it does. I post here on the forum, because there are plenty of members with more experience who went through the same troubleshooting and could point me in the right direction without a smart *** response, saving me hours of goofing around. Isn't that the point of the internet? If you don't know what the bracket does then don't respond.
Thats why I suggest take it to the body shop or raise your car. People seen my car and how my fitment is. I've experience quite a lot and asked quite a lot. And trust me people will give you more dumbass answers when you need tons of help here.
Old 02-28-12, 06:26 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I shaved/trimmed that metal piece to the front of my wheel.
Old 03-28-12, 05:12 PM
VIP LXS
Lead Lap

^^ Do you have pics??? Im curious to see because I want the front to go lower... My tires are getting in the way of doing so because its hits that bracket on the fenders when I air down...
Old 03-28-12, 06:12 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

I just drive without the bumper and fenders.
Old 03-28-12, 06:20 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
I just drive without the bumper and fenders.
Haha genius!
Old 03-28-12, 06:26 PM
IS300_white
Rookie

Originally Posted by steezy
Thats why I suggest take it to the body shop or raise your car. People seen my car and how my fitment is. I've experience quite a lot and asked quite a lot. And trust me .
Braddah Steezy,
First of all "aloha and shaka" to you since I'm originally from Hawaii.

Second, I disagree with your statement ..."people will give you more dumbass answers when you need tons of help here". People on this forum are very helpful ...especially the OG members. Just gotta be more patient with other members. This mod can be done without having to go to a shop or raising your car. Thats what this forum is about ...to share info/experience and help each other.
Old 03-28-12, 07:06 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the only picture you guys need. When i did the mod i wasnt to sure what I needed to trim until i peeled the fender liner back and located this bumper/fender tab. Once i was sitting there looking at it, it was obvious what i needed to trim off and where i needed to drill a hole for a stainless steel bolt/washers and locking nut.
I suggest drilling the new hole for a bolt/nut before cutting off the additional metal of the tab.

Last edited by is150; 03-28-12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-28-12, 07:17 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The bracket is a mounting point for the top right/left of the front bumper to the quarter panels. The bracket "sandwiches" the front bumper and fender only at the top right/left corners. Without these mounting points the front bumper would pop out at the fenders. Just so happens that these brackets are to big for those that want to be really low or even moderatly low. Done correctly there is plenty of room to shave the bracket/plastic tap of bumper and use a bolt/locking nut and washers to secure it.
Like I stated in the above post, just go out there and take a look at the bracket. Using the picture above as a guide, its self explanatory of what needs to be shaved and where to drill a hole.

Last edited by is150; 03-28-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 10:06 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im rubbing to =( BULL**** ! but only driving up drive ways
Old 05-16-12, 10:10 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by trippy
im rubbing to =( BULL**** ! but only driving up drive ways
any pics of your car?
Old 05-16-12, 11:09 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
any pics of your car?

anyone wanna do the relocate bumper tab for me ?? ill pay ! =)
Old 05-17-12, 01:16 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS300_white
Braddah Steezy,
First of all "aloha and shaka" to you since I'm originally from Hawaii.

Second, I disagree with your statement ..."people will give you more dumbass answers when you need tons of help here". People on this forum are very helpful ...especially the OG members. Just gotta be more patient with other members. This mod can be done without having to go to a shop or raising your car. Thats what this forum is about ...to share info/experience and help each other.
Judging by how much posts you have, you dont really come on here. People here do help, you just have to look for it. This subject has been talked about several times. And isnt what i posted helpful? I just retaliated because he assumed it was a "smart ***" response. And yes it could be done without taking a trip to a body shop, but i just thought someone professional would be better for him because it seems he doesnt know much about what to cut.

Quick Reply: Bumper Tab Relocation