IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Spark Plug DIY (half arsed) Basic necessity

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 06:03 AM
jiayon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willfxp
Anyone have tips on how to get this bolt off? I have pretty small hands, but for the life of me, can't get any good angle on this one.

Thanks!
This one is for sure the hardest one to get to. I'm sure there is a special tool for this, but I used a extension swivel. It is not the only way of doing it, but I feel was the one that made me suffer less.

If this is your first time make sure you have a couple of spare sockets nearby. They are really easy to fall off and get lost between the firewall and the engine when you are trying to tightened this bolt.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-11, 11:23 PM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jiayon
This one is for sure the hardest one to get to. I'm sure there is a special tool for this, but I used a extension swivel. It is not the only way of doing it, but I feel was the one that made me suffer less.

If this is your first time make sure you have a couple of spare sockets nearby. They are really easy to fall off and get lost between the firewall and the engine when you are trying to tightened this bolt.

Good luck.
ahhhhhh!!!! Got it, finally!!! I had to buy a 1/4" drive socket wrench with a 12mm swivel. That would make it small enough to fit behind there. I couldn't get enough torque, so I used a breaker bar and voom!!! Got it!!! yay! I didn't need spare sockets. I needed a spare wrench! That's what I dropped hah!
The following users liked this post:
Turbonic (11-18-21)
Old 03-01-11, 11:24 PM
willfxp
Driver

Originally Posted by jiayon
Nothing special, but it would be wise to have a rag ready and minimize the amount of gas that is spilled over the back of your engine.
Also... don't leave this unscrewed overnight or anything. It'll leak gas all over the engine bay somehow
Old 03-16-11, 04:02 PM
willfxp
Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
Pic 5

If you happen to remove the two other bolts that are unmarked in this picture, remember to make sure the gasket is there when you put them back!

It causes big issues haha.
Old 04-24-11, 04:01 PM
ralsty
Rookie

Originally Posted by willfxp
ahhhhhh!!!! Got it, finally!!! I had to buy a 1/4" drive socket wrench with a 12mm swivel. That would make it small enough to fit behind there. I couldn't get enough torque, so I used a breaker bar and voom!!! Got it!!! yay! I didn't need spare sockets. I needed a spare wrench! That's what I dropped
hah!
Would this be easier with an air ratchet?
Old 06-23-11, 11:47 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
13 ft-lbs for the IS250 and 350.

Jeff
can someone confirm what the torque specs are for the spark plugs? i ask because in javy's thread for the is350, he lists the torque as 18 ft*lbf. so is it 13 or 18?
Old 06-24-11, 12:37 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

18 ft-lbs is correct. Not sure why I said 13 before, must have been a typo or a misread on my part. :\

Strange.

Jeff
Old 02-22-12, 03:32 PM
rollinout
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone show me what the intake manifold gaskets look like?

Sorry, I'm a noob with some of these parts. I'm planning on replacing my spark plugs this weekend and I called the parts department and they were saying there's a top part and a bottom part. I know it says on here I need 3 pairs, but I got confused from talking to them. I didn't see them on Sewell but the guy at the parts department was saying they are $10-11 a piece, not pair.

Last edited by rollinout; 02-22-12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 04:31 PM
prpjewel
Driver School Candidate

Part #17176 is the only one you need. There are 3 sets in the same package.
I was able to change my spark plugs on my 06 IS250 very easily with this DIY. I really appreciate all the work and suggestions that went into this thread.
Old 02-24-12, 05:58 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

17176-31050 is the part number for the intake plenum gaskets. You need to order 3 of them. They come individually, not as a set.

These are the upper gaskets between the upper and lower manifold pieces. The lower gaskets are for the manifold to the heads.

Jeff
Old 04-04-12, 02:52 PM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

250 and 350 are totally different. 250 is harder to work on. i had to remove my manifold too. You forgot to mention in the write up about the manifold seals and to be careful about not tearing them while removing the manifold. Also, make sure to plug everything back since there are serveral harnesses in order to get the manifold off
Old 04-04-12, 02:52 PM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Nice write up though!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-12, 12:03 PM
meis250
Driver

Great write-up, thanks. Here is another guide in the form of a PDF
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ug-change.html
Good luck
Old 05-03-12, 03:58 PM
nikkon73
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice Write up!!

With this write up I was able to change the spark plugs.

Now I have a question, has anyone noticed that after the spark plug change the car idles low? almost to a point where it wants to shut off? Also, my check engine light came on and the check VSC display.

Are we supposed to turn on the car for a predetermined amount of time after changing the plugs?
Old 05-07-12, 06:21 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

if you did the work yourself, you might want to check all the harnesses and make sure all of them are connected right. Chances are, there is one that is not snapped in place correctly. You also might want to check and make sure the fuel line that was disconnected in the process is done right with washer in all. Could very well be that the line is not allowing fuel to pass which is causing idling.

Originally Posted by nikkon73
With this write up I was able to change the spark plugs.

Now I have a question, has anyone noticed that after the spark plug change the car idles low? almost to a point where it wants to shut off? Also, my check engine light came on and the check VSC display.

Are we supposed to turn on the car for a predetermined amount of time after changing the plugs?

Quick Reply: IS250 Spark Plug DIY (half arsed) Basic necessity