IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

pretty new to lexus have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 12:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
I never said the TSB states anything about flushing the transmission fluid, you made that assumption on your own...
Except the actual topic was changing the fluid... which you did say, several times.

Right here for example:
Lexus advises to CHECK the WS fluid at 100k, and Toyota advises to change/flush the fluid
Or here:
There is a SST for performing WS fluid exchanges
And again, the TSB mentioning the SST is NOT for "fluid exhanges" it mentions checking and filling if it's low. It says exactly nothing about getting any fluid OUT of the system.

Then I pointed out to you the exact part of the service manual that says you're wrong. Lexus doesn't ever say to check the transmission fluid on the 2IS. They explicitly say it never requires checking or any maintenance at all.

At 100k they list several scheduled service items- none having to do with the transmission.

I can't speak to what a corolla requires, I'll defer to you there.

If you were to actually look at the picture of the SST, and I will add a couple of iphone pics of it, you can see that it is a jug that holds fluid, has a pump handle, and an adapter for attaching to the transmission at the fill plug....
Right... For filling the transmission if it's low on fluid. Hence the reason fill is right there in it's name.

again, this is NOT a flush machine, but can be used to drain and refill the entire amount of fluid...

How?

Explain how that tool, the transmission fill pump, that attaches to the fill port, can empty the transmission of fluid.

Even better, show me the TIS page that documents doing it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-26-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 12:54 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not getting back on the rant about if you think trans fluid exchanges can or can't be done, because you have made it 100% clear that you do not think it is possible...the whole freaking forum knows that by now....

I can live with you thinking that, but you apparently can't stand that someone else thinks it is possible...guess we just disagree about that. Even when I supply you with pictures of a SST that you say doesn't exhist, I am still wrong...

How am I wrong about the 100k WS fluid inspection if it clearly states it on a LEXUS TSB??? I know it is not in the maintenance guide book, but it is on the TSB...how am I wrong? Wouldn't you say TIS or LEXUS is wrong? Isn't it contradictory that the maintenance book and TIS are different? Or is it just that I am wrong...
Old 04-26-10, 01:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I am not getting back on the rant about if you think trans fluid exchanges can or can't be done, because you have made it 100% clear that you do not think it is possible...the whole freaking forum knows that by now....
Lexus also thinks it's not possible, since they make a point of that in the service manual.

I can live with you thinking that, but you apparently can't stand that someone else thinks it is possible...
guess we just disagree about that. Even when I supply you with pictures of a SST that you say doesn't exhist, I am still wrong...
No, when you claim a device whose own instructions say it's for refilling something is instead somehow used to empty or flush it, then I have a problem.

I never said the tool did not exist. I just said you continue to misunderstand what it does.

Again, you have access to TIS. If you were right you could post the instructions from there on how to use this device to empty the transmission for a fluid exchange.

You can't though, because that's not what the device is for.

Your own TSB that you posted showed that.

How am I wrong about the 100k WS fluid inspection if it clearly states it on a LEXUS TSB???
It states that in a nearly 3 year old TSB for 2004-2008 models with a transaxle.

In the same line where it reiterates that no flushing or changing is ever required.

In the current actual service schedule for the car we are talking about however it does not instruct you to inspect it at 100k.

In fact it says
The transfer case/transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required
Page 71 if you're having any trouble finding that.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-26-10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 01:28 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'm terribly curious to see where this SST attaches to since there's no external fluid connections available on this transmission.
Here is one contradictory statement....

Here is another from another thread:

"adapters" to adapt to what? What specific adapter are you talking about?

There are no external connections to the transmission that hold transmission fluid. This was also explained (with TIS diagrams of the heat exchanger posted) in the 7 page "why it is impossible to change the transmission fluid" thread several years ago.

Why can't you just admit that you are wrong on something??? I have no problem stating that I was wrong about some of that stuff, but you just can't....and if you actually read what I wrote to begin with, I stated that a trans flush works on cars with a trans cooler....

Last edited by quick123; 04-26-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 03:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Here is one contradictory statement....

Here is another from another thread:

"adapters" to adapt to what? What specific adapter are you talking about?

There are no external connections to the transmission that hold transmission fluid. This was also explained (with TIS diagrams of the heat exchanger posted) in the 7 page "why it is impossible to change the transmission fluid" thread several years ago.

Why can't you just admit that you are wrong on something??? I have no problem stating that I was wrong about some of that stuff, but you just can't....and if you actually read what I wrote to begin with, I stated that a trans flush works on cars with a trans cooler....

WTF are you talking about?

First, this car doesn't have a trans cooler.

So why do you keep mentioning one?

Second, you never answered the question.

Adapters to WHAT? That was in the thread where you insisted there was an SST with a special adapter that lets you change the fluid.

The only thing you've done is shown a toyota pump that plugs into the fill port.

That doesn't do what you kept insisting it did.

It lets you add fluid. Not change it.

Again, I'm not wrong.

If I were you'd be able to post the procedure from TIS for changing the fluid.

You can't, because there ain't one.

Instead you keep posting how to ADD fluid. Which as I pointed out to you we've known how to do for years and isn't very useful for someone wanting to change out the old stuff.
Old 04-27-10, 05:34 AM
gizzy123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i called my lexus dealership they said that they can change and flush my transmission and differential fluid is that true?(for the transmission fluid part) can they really take out and flush all of the transmission fluid they said it would cost me around almost 400 bucks for the fluids and labor

Last edited by gizzy123; 04-27-10 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-10, 09:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gizzy123
i called my lexus dealership they said that they can change and flush my transmission and differential fluid is that true?(for the transmission fluid part) can they really take out and flush all of the transmission fluid they said it would cost me around almost 400 bucks for the fluids and labor

Thusfar nobody (including numerous folks with access to TIS, which is where dealers get their directions on how to fix stuff) have shown any method of replacing any significant amount of transmission fluid.

What has been posted from TIS all supports the idea it can't be done.

Thus the theory is that some dealers, despite the owners manual explicitly saying the transmission needs no servicing ever, will still charge you for a "transmission fluid change" without actually changing anything more than the small fraction of the fluid that comes out if you remove the plug from the pan.

Again- if anyone can provide a method (preferable the content from TIS) on any way to actually do this we'd all love to see it. But 3 years after a 7-page thread on this concluded it wasn't possible it still appears to be not possible.

(and explicitly not needed per the folks who built the vehicle).

Quick edit- The above assumes you have an automatic.... for the tiny % of IS owners with a manual they should be able to change their fluid
Old 04-27-10, 11:10 AM
gizzy123
Driver School Candidate

oh wow i did not know that it was that hard and crazy just for transmission fluid but thanx alot for the help
Old 04-27-10, 12:21 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

So what are us canadian IS owners supposed to do? Take it to the dealer and give them 400$ for a cup of coffee and a loaner?