Annoying cracking/hail like noise from dash/windshield area

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 03:01 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Annoying cracking/hail like noise from dash/windshield area

Hi,

I have this very annoying crackling/hail like noise which seems to come from the dash area where the windshield/dash come together. The noise is worse when the car is cold. I had the car in for service a couple of weeks ago and had them check but of course they couldn't hear it. I made a video using my cell phone and sent it to them. They are coming to my work this coming Monday to road test it with me, using the roads I normally drive on.

I'd love to hear your opinions as to what could be the cause. Where can I post the video (3mb avi) so you can hear it? Something other than youtube would be great. I can also email it to someone if they want to hear it, post it, or host it

Thanks

PS In the video you actually hear the turn signal for like the first 15 seconds. Afterwards you can clearly hear the noise. I had my phone in my hand and was holding it to the left of the center speaker grill.
Old 04-27-10, 03:49 PM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by totalstu
Hi,

I have this very annoying crackling/hail like noise which seems to come from the dash area where the windshield/dash come together. The noise is worse when the car is cold. I had the car in for service a couple of weeks ago and had them check but of course they couldn't hear it. I made a video using my cell phone and sent it to them. They are coming to my work this coming Monday to road test it with me, using the roads I normally drive on.

I'd love to hear your opinions as to what could be the cause. Where can I post the video (3mb avi) so you can hear it? Something other than youtube would be great. I can also email it to someone if they want to hear it, post it, or host it

Thanks

PS In the video you actually hear the turn signal for like the first 15 seconds. Afterwards you can clearly hear the noise. I had my phone in my hand and was holding it to the left of the center speaker grill.

There are several threads on this that go back several years........did you try searching for it?
Old 04-27-10, 04:20 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Yes. Unfortunately, my car has many noises so I feel at home in many of those noise threads I guess it was the video of the noise that lead me to post.
Old 04-27-10, 04:29 PM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try pushing down where the speaker grill is in the center of the dash to see if the sound goes away. Mine was making noises in that area and I stuffed it with packing foam and it went away.
Old 04-27-10, 06:05 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

there is a tsb for windshield tick they have to cut some plastic things right below the headliner. had mine done a while ago made a significant improvement. of course there are still other rattles though i have had all the tsb's done but that is another issue...
Old 04-27-10, 06:29 PM
miscioscia
Driver School Candidate

In my car the noise comes from the black surround for the gauge cluster. Try holding the top part of the surround with ur thumb and see if it goes away. I havent tried fixing it yet but i might in the future.
Old 04-27-10, 07:14 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

almost everyone's car has this problem from the center dash. there's really no fix. ask the dealer to add felt padding to the whole front end of the interior. it will help, but it won't completely alleviate it.

if you use the search function, you'll see that it's a problem with no solution