IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 04:42 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight alignment

I recently just started to notice that the vertical part of the cut off for the passenger and driver side headlights do not line up.

Are they supposed to?

__|-|___ it looks kinda like this, the "H" looking part is the two cutoffs.
Old 04-29-10, 05:05 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a "gap" in mine, but there's still bleed over light in those areas, and I've had my lights dealer adjusted 3x in the last 6 months... and in my opinion, they're still not right.
Old 04-29-10, 07:19 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

Yeah there is still "light" in the gap, I'm just not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. The gap is only about 6".
Old 04-29-10, 09:48 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The alignment on the IS will change after hitting a good sized pothole. I've adjusted mine many times. The headlights can be adjusted with a philips screwdriver (Look in the owner's manual). There are two adjustments for each side, one for height and one for the left/right movement. I find that I only have to adjust the height. There should not be any gap between them. I find a flat parking lot with a wall that I can draw a chalk line on (At night). I back up (Perfectly square) approx 30' from the wall. I measure the distance from the headlight center to the ground and the distance from center to center of the headlights. I then draw a horizontal chalk line at the same height of the center-to-ground measurement with a vertical line at each end of the line. The vertical lines should be perfectly inline with the center of the headlight to headlight center measurement at the ends of the horizontal line. Now you can adjust each headlight so that the center of the beam is vertically centered with the vertical chalk lines (At the ends of the chalk line) and the horizontal height of the beam is centered just below (1/2 to 1") the horizontal chalk line. This will insure the beam is focused at a slight downward angle. This all sounds complicated but it really isn't. I find that my way of adjusting the focus is better then the Stealer's.

Koz
Old 04-29-10, 10:20 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your HID beams is suppose to be in a _______----------- beam so it doesn't blind on coming traffic. The beam is not suppose to be a flat line.
Old 04-29-10, 11:46 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

Thanks KOZ, it seems that all I need to do is just play with it a bit

Extreme - I know that the beam isn't supposed to be flat, I was just trying to show my lights have a "gap" in the diagram, I know it wasn't the best drawing
Old 04-30-10, 07:00 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The Stealer/OEM will adjust the driver’s side lower then the passenger’s (Too low). The beam cutoff line can be straight as long as the cut off line is just below the height of the headlight-to-ground measurement.

Koz
Old 04-30-10, 08:56 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Koz
The alignment on the IS will change after hitting a good sized pothole. I've adjusted mine many times. The headlights can be adjusted with a philips screwdriver (Look in the owner's manual). There are two adjustments for each side, one for height and one for the left/right movement. I find that I only have to adjust the height. There should not be any gap between them. I find a flat parking lot with a wall that I can draw a chalk line on (At night). I back up (Perfectly square) approx 30' from the wall. I measure the distance from the headlight center to the ground and the distance from center to center of the headlights. I then draw a horizontal chalk line at the same height of the center-to-ground measurement with a vertical line at each end of the line. The vertical lines should be perfectly inline with the center of the headlight to headlight center measurement at the ends of the horizontal line. Now you can adjust each headlight so that the center of the beam is vertically centered with the vertical chalk lines (At the ends of the chalk line) and the horizontal height of the beam is centered just below (1/2 to 1") the horizontal chalk line. This will insure the beam is focused at a slight downward angle. This all sounds complicated but it really isn't. I find that my way of adjusting the focus is better then the Stealer's.

Koz

The way you describe is exactly as it should be per the instructions in the owners manual. They should both be exactly even with that line......contrary to what a lot of people say on this site about adjusting one side lower than the other. They don't realize that the reflector already makes one side slightly higher for them. It's designed into the lenses and reflectors.