IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Want to buy IS..ADVICE PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10 | 07:19 PM
bbklover
Driver School Candidate

Default Want to buy IS..ADVICE PLEASE

hi guys,

I own a GS300 and love it, Thinking about getting an IS for the wife. We are trying to getting something used...possibly 07-08. Can anyone advise me what's a good year and trim to look for, Considering all the recalls that toyota and lexus been having. Please mention problems with models that I should stay away from.

Thanks!!! anything would help narrow down our search.
Old 04-29-10 | 08:35 PM
Hoovey689

Since they came out for the 06 model year, I'd lean more towards what you said 07-08. CPO would also probably have some TSB's done. It's actually a really solid car IMO. Most come with the luxury package (heated ventilated seats, perforated leather), others the convenience package (memory seats), X package is a sportier suspension, aluminum trim (instead of birds eye maple), and sport pedals. The Mark Levinson sound system with DVD is also available on some models
Old 04-29-10 | 09:13 PM
bbklover
Driver School Candidate

thanks hoovey..that's great info...yea i had an is 250 as a loaner for a week. Loved it!!! I drove that thing like it was stolen. I had basic features tho, and I think that's what we are leaning towards. Just the basics trim would be fine. thx
Old 04-30-10 | 01:03 AM
omfgitzada
Rookie

smokey granite mica with the dark grey wood grain interior trim. looks sick
Old 04-30-10 | 03:17 AM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

go for it dude! you wont regret it
Old 04-30-10 | 06:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Since they came out for the 06 model year, I'd lean more towards what you said 07-08. CPO would also probably have some TSB's done. It's actually a really solid car IMO. Most come with the luxury package (heated ventilated seats, perforated leather)
That's the premium package actually...which is ONLY those options. The luxury package has those and a ton more things.

, others the convenience package (memory seats)
Memory seats come in either the sport or luxury package

, X package is a sportier suspension, aluminum trim (instead of birds eye maple), and sport pedals.
Yup, those things are in the X package...those things (plus a bunch of others) also come in the sport package

The Mark Levinson sound system with DVD is also available on some models
ML is available on all models, both with and without DVD/Nav.

Anyway, to the OP... IMHO 08 is the best year... all the tiny improvements they made from the first couple years, and the best looking OEM wheels... plus I'm not a fan of the cosmetic changes they made for 09+ models.

Anything you get in the 07+ range will still be under warranty though (long as it's under 50k miles) so any recall/TSB stuff will be free.

One thing to consider, you didn't say if you're looking at a 250 or 350... If you care about performance, at all, get the 350. There's no practical way to make a 250 much faster for anywhere near the small price difference of going 250->350.
Old 04-30-10 | 09:35 AM
bbklover
Driver School Candidate

wow that's alot of options guys...didn't realized there were so many different packages. I'm on the search for a used car so whatever comes my way will do. let the search begin....thx
Old 04-30-10 | 09:41 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't call the base trim "aluminum" by any stretch of the word. Sparkly Silver Plastic is probably the most descriptive of it, but doesn't really communicate how nice it looks.

Also, an X package car will have the wood if it has the premium package as well... which most seem to.
Old 04-30-10 | 10:02 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

I drove that thing like it was stolen I love this saying.....
Old 04-30-10 | 11:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bbklover
wow that's alot of options guys...didn't realized there were so many different packages. I'm on the search for a used car so whatever comes my way will do. let the search begin....thx
It's not as complex as some might think... here's a basic spotters guide to options: (the following assumes the owner hasn't swapped a bunch of parts)

If it has memory seats and woodgrain it's the luxury package (which includes a bunch of stuff like I listed earlier)

If it has memory seats without woodgrain it's the sport package (again, buncha stuff mostly listed earlier)

If it has NO memory seats, but does have heated/cooled seats, it's the premium package.

Those are the only real "packages" for 06 and '10 cars.

07-09 also has the X package, which is no memory seats, but sport pedals (for easy spotting) and also includes a front lip, illuminated scuff plates, and sport suspension.

Sport, Luxury, and Premium are exclusive of each other (ie they don't stack).

X doesn't stack with anything except the premium package

Nav isn't part of any package, unless you count Nav with ML as a package (they're sold together, and the easy way to tell is if it says "Mark Levinson" on the head unit... they are also sold each by themselves... Nav by itself is common... ML by itself is NOT. Backup camera and Bluetooth are part of the Nav option regardless of ML or not. IIRC Bluetooth is also available by itself on 2010 models only)

Other items that are available stand-alone include:

XM radio (press the SAT button a couple times, if you only ever get AM then it doesn't have this)

Rear spoiler (visually obvious)

Headlight washers (visually obvious)

Park Assist (look for those 4 little round circles on the rear bumper, and a couple on the front)

HIDs (these are included in the sport or lux packages, but can also be bought by themselves if you don't have either... visual cue is check the multi-function menu for AFS ON/OFF... if it has this is has factory HIDs, otherwise it doesn't)

Pre-collision system- Radar Cruise control- Easy visual cue is a different looking, dark, front L emblem on the grille.

18" wheels (comes as part of the sport package, optionally part of the Lux package, or available by themselves if you get neither package, visually obvious)

That's the highlights off the top of my head

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-30-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-01-10 | 10:23 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I'll add the the easiest way to spot the X-package is w/ the sweet wheels!

Want to buy IS..ADVICE PLEASE-9yh5j.jpg
Old 05-01-10 | 10:57 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

other than the new nav, were there any other changes from '09 to '10?
Old 05-01-10 | 03:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
other than the new nav, were there any other changes from '09 to '10?
Well, mostly all nav or stereo related... USB port for ipod or whatever, BT available without nav, and I think XM is standard on '10s but still wasn't on 09s.

Oddly the illuminated scuff plates are apparently no longer plug and play on '10s like they were for 07-09s.

Oh, and they've dropped the X package as an option (which was the only way to get a car in the US without a sun roof)