IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 TMV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 09:25 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is not as "super super clean" or "cherry" as the seller describe. He lives out in the country (farm land) but the engine bay is not acceptable to me. My 17 year old car engine bay looks clean than his. The head lights seems to be "fading" or whatever the term is for that condition. There's also a dent on the front right side fender which the seller didn't know about until I pointed it out to him. The exterior also had some scuff marks here and there and some chips/scratches from regular use? The interior wasn't that clean either with scuffs on the panels and wood trim.

I'm not sure what to offer the guy but I know I'm not paying anywhere near $29,000. I was thinking if he sells it for $23,000 I'll buy it without worry. $24-$25,000 maybe. $26-$27,000 I would have to take my time and think about it and not worry if he sells it or not. He also said the f-sport shocks only cost $800 and the f-sport springs only cost him $4-$600, does that sound right? That it was kind of cheap coming from the factory. I asked him about the TSIB and he said he didn't have any with his car. As for service, he takes it to the lexus dealership where he bought it which is in my city.

Does anyone know how much that dent would cost to remove. How much is it to get the car detail inside and out and get the engine bay clean (missing tabs too). Are the scuffs on the lights repairable? I don't know how hard he has driven the car, but he only has one hand.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 05-03-10, 10:13 PM
ballerx
Driver School Candidate

Check Your Pm's I have one that's in perfect condition for sale.
Old 05-04-10, 06:55 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the '08 - IMO, sport package > luxury package, but of course it depends on what you prefer. That '08 also has the full OEM GFX package, which is pretty nice.

You can always buy an extended warranty from Lexus, so don't let that stop you... that '07 is most likely going to be out of the 4 year warranty period rather soon (< 6 months most likely), so the low mileage doesn't really help you much in that regard.

A detail from a professional detailer would run you ~$500 for a full polish & restoration.

Last edited by Infra; 05-04-10 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-04-10, 07:19 AM
Matt752
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
The car is not as "super super clean" or "cherry" as the seller describe. He lives out in the country (farm land) but the engine bay is not acceptable to me. My 17 year old car engine bay looks clean than his. The head lights seems to be "fading" or whatever the term is for that condition. There's also a dent on the front right side fender which the seller didn't know about until I pointed it out to him. The exterior also had some scuff marks here and there and some chips/scratches from regular use? The interior wasn't that clean either with scuffs on the panels and wood trim.

I'm not sure what to offer the guy but I know I'm not paying anywhere near $29,000. I was thinking if he sells it for $23,000 I'll buy it without worry. $24-$25,000 maybe. $26-$27,000 I would have to take my time and think about it and not worry if he sells it or not. He also said the f-sport shocks only cost $800 and the f-sport springs only cost him $4-$600, does that sound right? That it was kind of cheap coming from the factory. I asked him about the TSIB and he said he didn't have any with his car. As for service, he takes it to the lexus dealership where he bought it which is in my city.

Does anyone know how much that dent would cost to remove. How much is it to get the car detail inside and out and get the engine bay clean (missing tabs too). Are the scuffs on the lights repairable? I don't know how hard he has driven the car, but he only has one hand.

Please let me know.

Thanks
well the tabs are only 98 cents a piece from sewell so no worries there. And have a mechanic look at it before you buy it and he can tell you if life on the farm had any ill effects. engine bay is pretty easy to clean.. kinda surprised he didn't clean it up a bit before you went and looked at it. A good detail usually costs around $120 upwards of $200 if you want the leather conditioned and exterior waxed and buffed.

im not sure about the dent... would have to see a pic to make a judgement.

It's definitly good he took to dealership, I w2ish I would of driven the extra 20 minutes to my dealership....

But hope this helps.. good luck man!
Old 05-04-10, 12:04 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infra
I like the '08 - IMO, sport package > luxury package, but of course it depends on what you prefer. That '08 also has the full OEM GFX package, which is pretty nice.

You can always buy an extended warranty from Lexus, so don't let that stop you... that '07 is most likely going to be out of the 4 year warranty period rather soon (< 6 months most likely), so the low mileage doesn't really help you much in that regard.

A detail from a professional detailer would run you ~$500 for a full polish & restoration.
I can buy an extended warranty if the car is still under warranty?

Originally Posted by Matt752
well the tabs are only 98 cents a piece from sewell so no worries there. And have a mechanic look at it before you buy it and he can tell you if life on the farm had any ill effects. engine bay is pretty easy to clean.. kinda surprised he didn't clean it up a bit before you went and looked at it. A good detail usually costs around $120 upwards of $200 if you want the leather conditioned and exterior waxed and buffed.

im not sure about the dent... would have to see a pic to make a judgement.

It's definitly good he took to dealership, I w2ish I would of driven the extra 20 minutes to my dealership....

But hope this helps.. good luck man!
Should I take it to the lexus dealership or an independent shop for inspections? The dent is on the last picture, the one that shows the right side fender. If you look at it closely you can see it, its a phone pic so you might of missed it. The condition of the car make me tend to believe he didn't take good care of it as he said especially for a car that is only a little over 2 years old. It might have to do with him only having one hand? The dealership is an hour away from him.

What do you guys think is a fair asking price for this car or what price should I start the offer at?

Thanks
Old 05-04-10, 12:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I can buy an extended warranty if the car is still under warranty?
You can buy the Lexus extended warranty anytime during the original factory warranty period. (which is 50,000 miles or 4 years from the in-service date, whichever comes first). Any 2007 or newer vehicle would be less than 4 years in-service. (until roughly September 2010 anyway)
Old 05-04-10, 12:17 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You can buy the Lexus extended warranty anytime during the original factory warranty period. (which is 50,000 miles or 4 years from the in-service date, whichever comes first). Any 2007 or newer vehicle would be less than 4 years in-service. (until roughly September 2010 anyway)
Thanks, since we're on the topic. Do you know how much it cost, is it worth it, and do they do a inspections prior to quoting you a extended warranty cost? I read mix opinions on extended warranty from this forum, but I wanted to know if it is a good idea in my situation?
Old 05-04-10, 07:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, since we're on the topic. Do you know how much it cost, is it worth it, and do they do a inspections prior to quoting you a extended warranty cost? I read mix opinions on extended warranty from this forum, but I wanted to know if it is a good idea in my situation?
You can buy them from dealers on line, they never even get in the same state as your car, let alone inspect it.

That's the point of requiring it to be under factory warranty when you buy it. Anything wrong with it when you buy it would already be fixed for free by Lexus under the original warranty, so it adds no risk for the extended warranty.

As to price, usually about 1/2 of what a random local dealer wants for it.

You'd need to email the two guys known for selling them inexpensively to get quotes on the specific year/model though (and the specific warranty you want, since there's a few options for length and coverage).

Around $1600-ish was the last figure I saw for the 7 yr/100k mile platinum coverage on an IS350 to give you a ballpark though....

Is it worth it? I think so... it's hard to find much in the way of parts that cost LESS than that the way Lexus prices their stuff :P

Doubly so given all the electronics and gadgets on the car.

Oh, the 2 guys are Toby Rivers and Troy Dietrich... do a search and you should find a few threads with their contact info.