IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is the rice line??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 07:24 PM
pigeon83
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, thank you very much!

Why don't you make fun of my Continental Sport Contact 2 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or K&N "rice" next?
Old 05-03-10, 07:38 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pigeon83
LOL, thank you very much!

Why don't you make fun of my Continental Sport Contact 2 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or K&N "rice" next?
Oh yes, those expensive tires make those IS's look real unique!

I'm guessing the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS on my wife's IS250 make her the hottest IS on the streets, huh?
Old 05-03-10, 08:01 PM
pigeon83
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Oh yes, those expensive tires make those IS's look real unique!

I'm guessing the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS on my wife's IS250 make her the hottest IS on the streets, huh?
no, and those particular tires are mostly made in mexico. would avoid those actually. hope you lucked out and got the made in japan ones.
Old 05-03-10, 08:03 PM
BTLS250
Driver

Pigeon83 can you describe to me what your idea of "better than stock" entails? Then read it over to yourself. You'll realize that everything you have to say is subjective. Everyone has different ideas of what "better than stock" means. Some people, apparently like yourself, refuse to justify any modification unless said mod increases performance. To others, the looks of certain modifications, whether you think it's rice or not, justifies their purchases. So get over yourself your opinions aren't better than anyone else's.

And to OP, mod your car however you want to. At the end of the day, it's your decision on what you think looks good and what doesn't that matters. Like this thread clearly shows, everyone has their own opinions on where the line should be drawn. Ultimately, as long as you can feel good about your car and the mods you've done to it, that's all that matters.

Last edited by BTLS250; 05-03-10 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 08:20 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

guys guys guys... we have seen pigeon83's credentials, dont work yourselves up over his opinions on this particular subject since it appears hes not a modder...
Old 05-03-10, 08:47 PM
pigeon83
Rookie

Of course not roooster. Everyone's opinion is equal, and therefore equally meaningless, because opinions clearly can't be based on objective facts, now can they? LOL For that matter why not just say: "There's no such thing as facts."

Better(in my apparently very WRONG and BACKWARD thinking) would be something that is of higher objective quality: materials, workmanship, function, reliability. That's what I consider better.

I don't think changing your paint color, or putting new wheels on your car, or tinting your windows, or adding a functional wing, fans in the trunk for downforce, venturis, inconel headers, camshafts, differentials, or a new exhaust is "rice". I don't think modifying a car is a bad thing, either. I do think putting useless, functionless, performance-hindering things on a car is "rice" and just generally a stupid thing to do. And, honestly, what's the point of a luxury performance car that's had both aspects ruined LOL

And llamaboiz my credentials? Really? I guarantee you I know more about automotive engineering than you would ever care to know! But hey ignore anyone who says anything that doesn't agree with your preconceptions and you'll never be wrong.
Old 05-03-10, 08:49 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

hell yeah, all ya'lls are ricers.

some of it was a joke, but i was just randomly added to see who would bite and yeah... there are some biters! woot! i hit a cord, those who didn't take it into offense, you know what the deal is. everyone has a reason for doing what they want and ITS NOT BASED OFF WHAT OTHERS THINK. No originality anymore.
Old 05-03-10, 08:50 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Of course not roooster. Everyone's opinion is equal, and therefore equally meaningless, because opinions clearly can't be based on objective facts, now can they? LOL For that matter why not just say: "There's no such thing as facts."

Better(in my apparently very WRONG and BACKWARD thinking) would be something that is of higher objective quality: materials, workmanship, function, reliability. That's what I consider better.

I don't think changing your paint color, or putting new wheels on your car, or tinting your windows, or adding a functional wing, fans in the trunk for downforce, venturis, inconel headers, camshafts, differentials, or a new exhaust is "rice". I don't think modifying a car is a bad thing, either. I do think putting useless, functionless, performance-hindering things on a car is "rice" and just generally a stupid thing to do. And, honestly, what's the point of a luxury performance car that's had both aspects ruined LOL

And llamaboiz my credentials? Really? I guarantee you I know more about automotive engineering than you would ever care to know! But hey ignore anyone who says anything that doesn't agree with your preconceptions and you'll never be wrong.
Man, you don't know anything.
Old 05-03-10, 09:10 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would just like to throw this out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-forum.html

and to think, it took six pages to get to this.
Old 05-03-10, 09:26 PM
Terrrrry
Rookie

Haha, so I guess the definition of rice is 'something I wouldn't do to my own car'

pigeon83, you're not going to like most of the cars on this forum if that's your view on modding
Old 05-03-10, 09:32 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...And llamaboiz my credentials? Really? I guarantee you I know more about automotive engineering than you would ever care to know!...
im sorry are we talking about 'automotive engineering'? I thought we were talking about 'rice' and 'looks of the car', your credentials in this particular field... are non existent since your cars are stockers. This is not a negative statement, just a proof of credentials.

As for my automotive engineering skills, they only apply to the 2T/3T/18RG *building the bottom ends in the garage*, experimenting with cutting the pistons to find the right shape for better flow thur the valves, sitting for hours with a drill bit trying to match port the heads with the dual sidedraft manifolds, making your own linkage for the duals, build your own TRD trans, fit a ford 8" rear into a 72rolla cuz the 10bolt toy rear would snap axles cuz they cant handle the torque, cut 2pair of SR-5 rims in half to make 1 pair, build your own air splitter out of balsa wood, n lots n lots more, in my day we had to fabricate all our mods there was no pepboys/internet to go buy them from... so please, before you go talking about your 'automotive engineering' just remember: Yo ga hiroi ue ni ue ga aru
Old 05-03-10, 09:41 PM
gotis1000
Rookie

seriously pigeon, you actually are into cars and ride totally stock?? oh except for tires lol!

i don't know, i guess this is wrong of me but nothing irritates me more than seeing an IS riding on stock wheels... feel like it drags down my own car through association. you might be against painted roofs and funky lights but wheels have been an essential part of the look of the car from the very beginning.
Old 05-03-10, 09:45 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is rice. I have black roof on a white car, a body kit that adds weight, braces that do nothing, tires that are too fat, and my dash lights are blue. Oh and i have a baby in the car thingy, but no baby seat.

Pigeon is a troll. He has nothing to contribute.

Old 05-03-10, 10:44 PM
pigeon83
Rookie

ek9vboi Didn't you read what I said? I said that my thinking has been very BACKWARD and WRONG. Thanks to this, I've had an epiphany! Now I have to fix my cars.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy the biggest, heaviest wheels I can find, on which I will put the thinnest tires I can possibly stretch across them. Then I'm going to get a bodykit that increases my coeffecient of drag AND lift, so my car looks "aggressive" but will float above the road like a hovercraft. I will then lower the car so much that I won't be able to use roads that have speed bumps, or even get up my own driveway.

Then I'm going to install the biggest cone air filter intake right next to the HOTTEST part of my exhaust manifold! Then I'm going to mount a multitude of speakers TV screens and lights in my trunk, because that's where they're supposed to go. I'll then put the highest backpressure, but also loudest, exhaust I can find. Then my car will be "sick" like everyone elses.

I've seen the error of my ways, and I'll no longer value things like performance, quality or function, from now on. Those things mean nothing compared to looking sick. I will also start saying "I feel" instead of "I think", because thinking about things is pointless, since everything is just opinions that come from nowhere, and there are no facts.
Old 05-03-10, 10:45 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this guy is gettin mad @ everyone..

Quick Reply: What is the rice line??