IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did i just do something bad.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 09:33 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i just do something bad.......

Ok so I just went to the dealer to get the gas pedal recall done..

As i was driving into the lot i saw a IS on the sale section with a CF hood. As a half serious and half playing I asked my service advisor if I could trade hood

Well turns out the car is owned by a sales person who is selling it and the advisor introduced me to him. I asked him is he wanted to trade/sell.

After talking for a bit, I started thinking he was going to want a lot of cash for it. But then I mentioned "well i don't REALLY want a CF hood i was just asking, but i can offer you my hood and $100 bucks"

We went and looked at my hood and he said OK!!

Not just that, the swap will be done at the dealer under the table with no charge!!

Then he hooked me up with the dealers very own paint guys they use. The guy quoted me $300 to paint part of the CF hood and refinish the CF to get rid of the usual top coat swirls. Not sure if this is a good price tho.. The sales guy showed me some cars this person had worked on and the paint match is 100% accurate. So it might be worth it.

Then to add insult to injury, the sales guy told me that he will try and get his Master Tech friend to install the 9.1 Nav DVD for free under the table again!!

Now for the bad part that has me completely uneasy... How am i going to brake this news to my wife....

I have shown her pictures of CF hoods and stuff and she completely hates it. She is going to kill me!!!

Someone here has a red IS with a CF hood, painted to match but the boldge of the hood still CF.. Thats what i am going for..

Now to my questions... what should I be doing to the CF hood?? Should i have it polished then clear coated (after painting the parts I want).. I heard that Clear coat is not a good idea on a CF hood because it cracks.. true???

Also what should i expect to pay for this??

One last thing.. if the hood sides match my TP and the bolge is CF.. is it rice if i have them paint the "L" in the middle of the hood?? How about if i have them paint 2 small "L"s on the side were the hood kicks up??

Comments??
Old 05-04-10, 09:38 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do the trade in the first place? The weight savings?

Its not going to save you so much weight that you'll even feel the difference. Seems like a potential headache with possible finishing flaws and cash out of your wallet for little return.

I'd say dont' do it at all, my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, and all that "paint an L" stuff is deff rice IMO. But thats just my opinion.
Old 05-04-10, 09:38 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I think if you get A CF hood you either completely paint it or leave it alone. Please don't paint a L on the hood
Old 05-04-10, 09:47 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do it. If your wife hates it that much, there will be hell to pay....especially if you paint an "L" on the hood. Get the Nav update but not the hood.
Old 05-04-10, 09:47 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Atleast your IS isn't white
Old 05-04-10, 09:50 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

lol well just talked to the wife.. went a lot easier then I thought lol.. Yea my wife hates it, but she has also hated everything i have ever done to the car.. even the wheels and tint.. then once she see it her self, she likes it...

I just always wanted CF hood and Trunk.. but they were WAY to expensive.. But for $100 bucks?? why not!

So what can I use to restore it?? Its not BAD and to most they would just not do anything because its that good but I want to make it sparkle! Any DIY?? Can I just wax it??

Rob how do you take care of all your CF???
Old 05-04-10, 09:51 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i'll be more than willing to get the 9.1 nav update... i've got a 6.1 need that 3 year gap closed up man..

as for the CF hood... it really depends on you and your wife... if she's going to be very mad at you... might want to reconsider that trade although i must say $400 for paint+labor and shizz is a good price
Old 05-04-10, 09:52 AM
KWang
Pole Position

pics ? i mean.. it certainly seems like you like your decision so thats all that matters =D

so i got the letter for IS pedal recall as well.. what did they actually do ?
Old 05-04-10, 09:56 AM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

the salesman got the better deal IMO...your stock hood worth more, so you really didn't have to add cash on your end
Old 05-04-10, 09:57 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KWang
pics ? i mean.. it certainly seems like you like your decision so thats all that matters =D

so i got the letter for IS pedal recall as well.. what did they actually do ?
No pics yet man. They are working on it right now. LOL the guys was going to get me the DVD override done too but I told him I already had it.

I think they will replace gas pedal with a shorter one. Make it so that if you press your brakes wile pressing the gas at the same time, the gas stops working and only brakes work. Full tank of gas and I think thats it..

I also mentioned the startup clicking we all know about.. But I have already gotten it fixed.. but its still clicking.. My SA said they cant do the same fix again but that he would have them check over it..
Old 05-04-10, 09:59 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2k2 R1
the salesman got the better deal IMO...your stock hood worth more, so you really didn't have to add cash on your end
You think?? I was only thinking about the 500+ price tags I have seen online for the CF Hoods.
Old 05-04-10, 10:04 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats with these rice questions. Everyone likes rice!

Mr 2k2 is very right as well. U got suckered. The oem hood is worth more. I think theres a hood in sgm in the classifieds for 300 though so just hope theres one available when you decide to part out. Or just repaint it and colormatch the hole thing
Old 05-04-10, 10:07 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
Whats with these rice questions. Everyone likes rice!

Mr 2k2 is very right as well. U got suckered. The oem hood is worth more. I think theres a hood in sgm in the classifieds for 300 though so just hope theres one available when you decide to part out. Or just repaint it and colormatch the hole thing
BLAHH how is CF rice???
Old 05-04-10, 10:11 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming this is a Seibon or ViS CF hood. No special treatment is required - just wash & wax like your normal finish.

Some members use additional coats of clear to ward off "yellowing" from extended exposure to sunlight. Robs_IS250 would be the best resource to talk about this, since he went through the process.

I've had CF parts on my car for over three years with no problems.
Old 05-04-10, 10:13 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Ones a CF hood starts turning yellow does that mean its done for?? Or can it just be polished and refinished??

Quick Reply: Did i just do something bad.......