IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Water based paint 09 IS350???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 04:37 PM
davidlmed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water based paint 09 IS350???

Hey guys I've searched around and can't find an answer. Does th 09 IS350 have water based or oil based paint. And if so do you have a link I can follow. My cars at the bodyshop, and not sure if its a good idea to have part of the car painted with water and half with oil. Any input guys, Thanks. I a lil stressed over my car in the shop.
Old 05-05-10, 04:54 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Don't know about Lexus but BMW have been "water" based for several years (it's not really "water" - the solvent is "water miscible" - some kind of organic alcohol, I understand). The "water" based paints used to be much softer than volatile organic solvent ("oil") based paints but, hopefully, they've improved them since I got my BMW.

Have you asked the local Lexus dealer's body shop?
Old 05-05-10, 04:59 PM
davidlmed
Rookie

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Don't know about Lexus but BMW have been "water" based for several years (it's not really "water" - the solvent is "water miscible" - some kind of organic alcohol, I understand). The "water" based paints used to be much softer than volatile organic solvent ("oil") based paints but, hopefully, they've improved them since I got my BMW.

Have you asked the local Lexus dealer's body shop?
Just got the quote from the body shop. Planning on calling tomorrow. Just wanna make sure I don't get shotty paint job. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-05-10, 05:18 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i was under the impression that lexus was using "water" based paint: water miscible just as sktn77a described. however bmw and mercedes were still using the oil based paint, which is much less to scratching and is much stronger but much worst for our environment. either way, i think it would be bad to mix the paint, because im pretty certain it would give different shades.
Old 05-05-10, 05:24 PM
davidlmed
Rookie

Originally Posted by edgeucated
i was under the impression that lexus was using "water" based paint: water miscible just as sktn77a described. however bmw and mercedes were still using the oil based paint, which is much less to scratching and is much stronger but much worst for our environment. either way, i think it would be bad to mix the paint, because im pretty certain it would give different shades.
Yeah I feel the same way, btu I have tpo show them something definative otherwise they are just gonna say the same thing. That they haven't starting using that yet. Which I know is bogus, but I want to have it in writing so he has no wiggle room.
Old 05-05-10, 06:22 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had some parts painted at my local body shop and he was telling me that soon, water based painted will be mandatory.