IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Which Vais tech unit to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 06:36 PM
AdioKIP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Vais tech unit to get

My morning commute is about to double in length so I'm wanting more music in my car. I previously had an ipod interface put in BUT it only worked thru one line on the screen and i had to use the scroll wheel to go thru it all on one line... In short going thru an ipod with a few hundred albums one at a time doesnt work so I immediately had them remove it.

I've been looking at the Vaistech units but am not sure which one to get the "MultiMediaLinQ", the "SL2VI" or the "SL2VI-P4". I've looked at each on there site and dont understand the differences. If the multimedialinQ can handle an Ipod then what advantages do the more expensive "SL2VI"'s give (I'm thinking video but is that it)? Whats the difference in the -P4 versus regular SL2VI?

Overall I'd rather have a USB port rather then Ipod but it would be nice to have both. I'm thinking the multimediaLinQ is what I need but wanted to be more clear on the differences between all of them before ordering. Also is the hard drive cable what allows the USB port to be added to the ash tray like in the pictures?
Old 05-06-10, 07:24 PM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.vaistech.com/products/product_comparison.php

SL2VI is same as SL2VI-P4 except that the P4 is for those with factory, DVD Mark Levinson system.
Old 05-06-10, 08:03 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was wondering which integration kit you had before so we know which to avoid?
Old 05-07-10, 04:25 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Was wondering which integration kit you had before so we know which to avoid?
I'm not sure of the Brand. When I went and had my subwoofer installed they had a kit there for like $90. I figured at that price why not give it a try. I asked ahead of time would it work thru the touch screen, he was like yeah it uses the satellite radio plug and works thru the touch screen. He didnt mention it only used one line of the screen though. If I ever go by the shop again I'll check what brand it was.

Cdeeznuts thanks for the info. That answered one of the questions. I guess now I have to decide between the multimediaLinQ and the SL. Anyone know besides video are there any major differences, I really dont need video so I'm thinking the multimedaiLinQ will be a better option for me.
Old 05-07-10, 09:11 AM
sigteacher
Driver

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
My morning commute is about to double in length so I'm wanting more music in my car. I previously had an ipod interface put in BUT it only worked thru one line on the screen and i had to use the scroll wheel to go thru it all on one line... In short going thru an ipod with a few hundred albums one at a time doesnt work so I immediately had them remove it.

I've been looking at the Vaistech units but am not sure which one to get the "MultiMediaLinQ", the "SL2VI" or the "SL2VI-P4". I've looked at each on there site and dont understand the differences. If the multimedialinQ can handle an Ipod then what advantages do the more expensive "SL2VI"'s give (I'm thinking video but is that it)? Whats the difference in the -P4 versus regular SL2VI?

Overall I'd rather have a USB port rather then Ipod but it would be nice to have both. I'm thinking the multimediaLinQ is what I need but wanted to be more clear on the differences between all of them before ordering. Also is the hard drive cable what allows the USB port to be added to the ash tray like in the pictures?
If you want the ability to use an external hard drive like I do then you definitaly want the MultiMediaLinQ.
Old 05-07-10, 09:32 AM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sigteacher
If you want the ability to use an external hard drive like I do then you definitely want the MultiMediaLinQ.
Like he said... really it comes down to whether or not you are going to be using the USB or HD feature and "digital" audio source

Maybe this will help:

VML pros/cons:
ability to use non ipod/iphone players through usb and HD
"digital" audio source, but unless you are using FLAC mp3s, the noticeable audio differences between the "digital" audio source and analog are minimal.
cost $335 for the unit, if wanted you need get a HD for about ~$110, total cost ~$450

In your case if video is not a deciding factor then the step down SL2i-UP might be more what you want to compare.

$200 SL2i-UP
just doesn't have the usb or hd ports.
Old 05-08-10, 07:21 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by cdeeznuts
Like he said... really it comes down to whether or not you are going to be using the USB or HD feature and "digital" audio source

Maybe this will help:

VML pros/cons:
ability to use non ipod/iphone players through usb and HD
"digital" audio source, but unless you are using FLAC mp3s, the noticeable audio differences between the "digital" audio source and analog are minimal.
cost $335 for the unit, if wanted you need get a HD for about ~$110, total cost ~$450

In your case if video is not a deciding factor then the step down SL2i-UP might be more what you want to compare.

$200 SL2i-UP
just doesn't have the usb or hd ports.
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll be going with the MultimediaQ. One question I have about it. The pics show a USB on the box itself (I'm assuming glovebox is the best place to mount) then they also show a USB port in the ashtray. Does the one that goes in the ashtray connect to the shown USB port on the box or is there another place it connects. Basically are both ports available for use?
Old 05-08-10, 12:24 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Would you consider purchasing the Dice Electronics kit?
Old 05-10-10, 08:13 AM
sigteacher
Driver

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Would you consider purchasing the Dice Electronics kit?
I'm curious to know how it compares to the Vaistech, but after further research I found the DICE unit will not support an external hard drive ...bummer because its $100 cheaper.

Last edited by sigteacher; 05-10-10 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 11:07 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sigteacher
I'm curious to know how it compares to the Vaistech, but after further research I found the DICE unit will not support an external hard drive ...bummer because its $100 cheaper.
That's true. For me I'll just strictly use it for my iPod, so I don't need all the other features like external hdd or video playback. Just want a unit that I can plug my iPod into, charge it, and access it via the car audio system.
Old 05-10-10, 04:56 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i have dice and i am absolutely happy with it.... i don't see why i'll need an external HDD if at the end of the day you'll listen to the music.... and you already have the iPod like i do.... i agree vaistech is a very reputable company.... i'm trying Dice as a "risk" but so far it has paid off

Andre
Old 05-10-10, 05:12 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

fyi, I got the toypd2 from soundgate off ebay for like 80 bucks. Installed and it work perfectly with my Lexus Navi.

Full ipod intregration via the Navi touchscreen to choose playlist, artist ect. It also charges the ipod and double up as the occasional car iphone charger as well. . I don't think it work with video, usb hard drive etc, but I don't need that.

From my research, the toypd2 is a re-brand Vais tech.

Last edited by Initial_K; 05-10-10 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 07:43 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put in a multimedialinq last weekend and put it in the glovebox. There is not room for a big USB stick in the glove box as well, but I am using the iPod's USB cable, so that worked well.
Old 05-11-10, 07:46 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by Initial_K
fyi, I got the toypd2 from soundgate off ebay for like 80 bucks. Installed and it work perfectly with my Lexus Navi.

Full ipod intregration via the Navi touchscreen to choose playlist, artist ect. It also charges the ipod and double up as the occasional car iphone charger as well. . I don't think it work with video, usb hard drive etc, but I don't need that.

From my research, the toypd2 is a re-brand Vais tech.
Never heard of this unit but for $80 I might have to look into it. Does it use the full touch screen and not just the top line like the cheap unit I initially tried?
Old 05-11-10, 09:31 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

You can also check out www.Gromaudio.com
They make an $80 kit, not sure how good it is, I don't think anyone here has had it installed, but I'm getting DICE kit installed today like what Andre has.

Quick Reply: Which Vais tech unit to get