IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Accident....might be scam...any help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 10:30 AM
LexHes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn EFFF those people man.. Thats not right.. I drive that road everyday. That dudes lucky he wasnt me. He wouldnt be walking let alone driving again.. Sorry to hear that bro
Old 05-10-10, 12:41 PM
mybablex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think u should hire a good lawyer to represent u in this case. The skid mark n the damage point may u to defend on this case. Abt the blacl box, i think the insurance only investigate it when serioua injury or dead are involve in the accident. I dun think they will spend money on this kind of small accident
anyway, good luck man
Old 05-10-10, 02:37 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that's effed up man. Sleezy as hell. I'd have been furious if he hit me like that. Hope everything works out in the end though. I try to avoid Capitol Expressway like the plague. That place is full of idiots who can't drive properly. Too bad I'm right behind in Silver Creek Valley, so I have to drive through to get to 101.
Old 05-12-10, 10:46 PM
itzblackie
Driver School Candidate

sorry it took so long....heres some pics....
Attached Thumbnails Accident....might be scam...any help-img_07771.jpg   Accident....might be scam...any help-img_07781.jpg   Accident....might be scam...any help-img_07791.jpg   Accident....might be scam...any help-img_07801.jpg  
Old 05-12-10, 11:59 PM
KWang
Pole Position

thats not as bad as i had pictured.. but still bad >< .. i feel for you bro.. i hope u win this !
Old 05-14-10, 04:34 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 314 Likes on 273 Posts

What's all this talk about "Black Boxes" in the cars that record accidents??? Never heard of this before. The OBD will store engine faults but that's because it's programmed to recognize them. As far as I know there's nothing to record accident events unless the air bags deply or (in some cars) the fuel pump fusible link blows.
Old 05-14-10, 10:41 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by itzblackie
sorry it took so long....heres some pics....
what car was it that hit you?

Your grill is hit.. either the car is high or your car dipped down that low...
Old 05-15-10, 03:05 PM
itzblackie
Driver School Candidate

it was a mercedes ML320 plus my car is lowered

Last edited by itzblackie; 05-15-10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 03:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

How is the insurance/investigation going?
Old 05-15-10, 03:20 PM
itzblackie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-SV
How is the insurance/investigation going?
I feel like im talking to the wall with them. The guy that is doing my claim doesnt believe me. He said "I'm preaching to the choir"
Old 05-15-10, 03:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I feel like im talking to the wall with them. The guy that is doing my claim doesnt believe me. He said "I'm preaching to the choir"
No witnesses weakens your case.

Was the other driver properly licensed, registered and insured?

Maybe if your insurance company found the other driver had a history of fraud-type convictions, then your case would be stronger, but that's not likely.
Old 05-17-10, 05:19 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Here's what happened. I was leaving my girlfriend's house around 10:00 last night. I was going southbound on Capitol Exp. in San Jose. I stopped at a red light. Im about half a cars length behind him. Then the car in front me starts reversing. I see his reverse lights so I start honking. Then he backs up into me. I'm boxed in so I can't go anywhere. I get out and he said that I was driving to fast and why did I hit him. I called the police to get a police report. The officer said it was his word against mine. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
Were you able to drive off?
Did the airbag deploy?

Chrysler, Ford & GM have had Crash Data recorders since 2000
Toyota & Lexus since 2001(some), all since 2007.

It retains the last few seconds data before a crash. If you were able to drive off I believe the data will be deleted.

However, it is possib;e that this is not this guys 1st time, He may have a history with the insurance companies.
Old 05-17-10, 07:29 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Scams like this happen alot of time...especially in this economy when people look for ways to save / make $. Getting your video camera would require super fast reflex and I don't think it would be 'doerable' in such short time frame. Not even cameras. The moment he hit you and told you u were driving too fast, you knew he's scamming you, making you in a tough position (no witness..no video..no pictures...). What about the dude behind you? did he drive off? or he stayed? If he (Car #3) said the same you would be in serious trouble. Unless you belong to a gang when you can call 40 boys over... you might be out of luck. I hate when crap like this happens. Sorry man! Keep us posted on this.
Old 05-17-10, 11:17 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Man that sucks. I'm thinking about installing a video camera that constantly records everything while driving to protect me against scams like these. Search ebay for "car accident camera" to see what I mean. They cost about $65-85.
Old 05-18-10, 05:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I'm not understanding. What would be his motivation? Is he suing you for personal injury? Why would he intentionally wreck his late model Mercedes. I could see if he had a bomber of a car but...a MB? Looking at the damage to your car I can assume that the damage to his car is negligible. So I guess my question is, have you figured out what he wants from you?

Quick Reply: Accident....might be scam...any help