IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Plates Hate It Here Is My Solution!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 02:00 PM
giantdefy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uaaction
So everyone with front plates this was my solution
please comment on it and tell me what u think thanks a lot

Serge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-jsF50aa5U

here is the link i bought it from great people and fast shipping

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=2049
That plate thing just put two nasty dimples on the front bumper! FAIL!
Old 11-14-11, 08:46 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

finally got this thing put on the right way. I had it installed via the simple not so custom method under the bumper, but lowering my car this week is definitely going to cause some issues mounted under the front bumper. so heres my re-install. took some time and customization but im please with the outcome. Everyone trips out on this thing!

Old 11-14-11, 10:23 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Have no holes in my bumper, and when my plates come there is no way in hell I'm going to put a front plate on there. This is definitely the solution I'm going to use. Love the lines of the front without plates!
Old 11-14-11, 10:26 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
Have no holes in my bumper, and when my plates come there is no way in hell I'm going to put a front plate on there. This is definitely the solution I'm going to use. Love the lines of the front without plates!
Yeah I agree. I really wish my dealership didn't install front plates on all their cars... hate it!
Old 11-14-11, 11:40 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
finally got this thing put on the right way. I had it installed via the simple not so custom method under the bumper, but lowering my car this week is definitely going to cause some issues mounted under the front bumper. so heres my re-install. took some time and customization but im please with the outcome. Everyone trips out on this thing!
We don't need fronts in my state. But I wanna do this for the awesome factor. Can you give me a brief description on how you installed this. It requires cutting up the lower grill?
Old 11-15-11, 12:31 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice install, I thought about installing one of these in the same location but I felt the kit was cheap. Having to hold the button the entire time to flip/unflip the plate deterred me. Did you modify the vertical brace so the unit can be more recessed? I did a lot of measurements before when I was interested in installing this.
Old 11-15-11, 04:51 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

no i didnt have to modify the brace at all. on the 2011 it appears the front bumper sticks out a tad bit further so modifying the brace wasnt necessary. On my 2010 i started to do this install and came across that issue. i screwed into the bumper above where the grill is, i had to modify the grill so the plate could pass throguh but also along the top where the clips are to allow the screws to protrude. There is very little material to do this. i then used the metal bracket included in the kit, bent it to an "L" and attached it to a 10mm bolt at the top of the vertical brace just below the core support, to support the rear portion of the hideaway plate rail. its sturdy! the unit sticks out a bit up front, i can adjust it and slide it back about 1/8th of an inch back, but 1. i dont want it to rub on my bumper when it flips up and 2. i dont want it to smack my bumper when fully extended. As of right now at full extension it doesnt touch the bumper at all, sitting about 1/8th of an inch away from the bumper. Ill take some pix later today when i get back from work. hope his helps.
Old 11-15-11, 07:29 AM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Nice. If A cop stops you just say its right there officer!
Old 11-15-11, 08:00 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, more pics would be very helpful. Although it isn't too hard to install a limiter switch relay to flip/unflip the plate with the push of a button vs having to hold it down, how is the overall construction of the unit? I read through a lot of reviews of this kit and some people complained how cheap it is and how the cable gets caught up sometimes when the motor is turning. I would like to see one of these in person so I can see how greatly or badly engineered it is before I spend $130 on it. I noticed some videos on youtube where some plates flip up so fast it smacks the bumper and some flip up nice and slow. Wonder why is that.
Old 11-15-11, 08:56 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Yes, more pics would be very helpful. Although it isn't too hard to install a limiter switch relay to flip/unflip the plate with the push of a button vs having to hold it down, how is the overall construction of the unit? I read through a lot of reviews of this kit and some people complained how cheap it is and how the cable gets caught up sometimes when the motor is turning. I would like to see one of these in person so I can see how greatly or badly engineered it is before I spend $130 on it. I noticed some videos on youtube where some plates flip up so fast it smacks the bumper and some flip up nice and slow. Wonder why is that.
Yeah sure thing when I get home I will take some close up pics of the unit itself. It is sort of cheaply made ill admit, its powered by a single motor that pushes and pulls a thin metal cable. During my testing phase of my first install on my 2010, the cable binded up and I couldn't fix it. I sent it back and they replaced it eventually. Read at my experiences with the company in my prior posts on this thread. But anyhow ill show you some more pics later.
Old 11-15-11, 09:01 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Oh yeah I forgot the speed of the plate flipping up issue, I found that when I greased the rails it made it smoother but of course much faster. The kit does come with ahesive bumpers for the rear of the plate. I didn't use mine yet since my.plate doesn't touch my bumper.
Old 11-15-11, 09:13 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for answering my questions regarding this kit. How rigid is it with the plate folded out? With the wind pressure at freeway+ speeds, can it cause the plate to bend back at the joint, thus hitting and rubbing at the bumper even though you have a 1/8" gap?
Old 11-15-11, 09:37 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think all dealerships should leave off the front plate till your buying the car and then ask you if you want it installed or not! lol If you say no, sign a release saying you agreed to it. If you say yes, they drill it on and you go on your way. That or they need to start making OEM brackets that bolt onto locations you can't see looking directly at the car (i.e. under the bumper lines)
Old 11-15-11, 09:46 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Thank you for answering my questions regarding this kit. How rigid is it with the plate folded out? With the wind pressure at freeway+ speeds, can it cause the plate to bend back at the joint, thus hitting and rubbing at the bumper even though you have a 1/8" gap?
I'm not really sure about the rigidity at freeway speeds. Honestly I have no intentions of trying it. I only want this when I'm parked. Or if I need it flipped. I don't want it out while I'm driving. But to answer your question I do believe it will push it back against my bumper if it were out at freeway speeds.
Old 11-15-11, 04:24 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice install, I thought about installing one of these in the same location but I felt the kit was cheap. Having to hold the button the entire time to flip/unflip the plate deterred me. Did you modify the vertical brace so the unit can be more recessed? I did a lot of measurements before when I was interested in installing this.
He didn't modify anything and it still sticks out more than mine. Mine sits flush.

I tried on the freeway going 70MPH and I wasn't sure if I held it down long enough but it was half way up when I stopped. Not sure if the wind speed kept it from coming up. It's not made of steel so it's somewhat flimsy but it looks sick and people love it when I show it to them.

Quick Reply: Front Plates Hate It Here Is My Solution!! :)