IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cost efficient side mirror replacement solution!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 07:09 AM
Schmingie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's think about this logically - every time you run over something - like a rock, juice box, piece of wood, screw and it throw it at another vehicle - does that make it your fault? No one here is throwing things at other cars on purpose - it happens. I am certain you have done the same to other cars - do you want to have to pay all their bills? The ES is NOT at fault - he did not do it on purpose - the piece of wood he ran over could just as well have stayed on the ground when he ran over it. Think about it - its just crappy luck.
Life throws crappy stuff at you (pun intended) - and you will throw it back - thats life
Old 05-15-10, 03:07 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Schmingie
Let's think about this logically - every time you run over something - like a rock, juice box, piece of wood, screw and it throw it at another vehicle - does that make it your fault? No one here is throwing things at other cars on purpose - it happens. I am certain you have done the same to other cars - do you want to have to pay all their bills? The ES is NOT at fault - he did not do it on purpose - the piece of wood he ran over could just as well have stayed on the ground when he ran over it. Think about it - its just crappy luck.
Life throws crappy stuff at you (pun intended) - and you will throw it back - thats life
ahahaha yeah. I understand this lol. its just my parents want a reason for everything. they simply don't understand. Well yeah, I still need to give a call to carson but yeah so far no luck. Just either buy the whole assembly for 500+ or give some calls and go through insurance. I will call monday to see whats up. thanks for the advices everyone
Old 05-15-10, 09:37 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

hey what up Daki. i leave for a few days to go to vegas n this happens to your baby!? I am sorry this had happened man. If you need the oem side mirror covers let me know. i have a set of TP. Too bad the damage is more than just the side mirror cover.

since its just one side, maybe u can just go to a junk yard n get that one side mirror assemble where the side mirror covers area attached to n get someone to just install it for u. Just an idea. get your baby fixed !
Old 05-16-10, 02:19 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by funnie
hey what up Daki. i leave for a few days to go to vegas n this happens to your baby!? I am sorry this had happened man. If you need the oem side mirror covers let me know. i have a set of TP. Too bad the damage is more than just the side mirror cover.

since its just one side, maybe u can just go to a junk yard n get that one side mirror assemble where the side mirror covers area attached to n get someone to just install it for u. Just an idea. get your baby fixed !
oh man that would be great. umm any ideas about junkyards? i never really went to one before.
Old 05-16-10, 07:53 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

let me ask my buddy where he goes to get his parts. i think he mentioned there is one off the 5N fwy. somewhere between north hollywood and 118 fwy connector. the only thing is you have to go get the part out yurself IF they have a 06-08 model laying around.
Old 06-02-10, 07:19 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

I called the dealerships from lexus of glendale, sewell lexus, carson toyota and etc and wow I got a headache trying to fix this issue. They would only offer the whole assembly to fix my front and rear side mirror outer pieces. SO SCREWING the whole dealership nonsense which they all quoted me $500+ for the replacement, I did my own project.

1. I went to ebay, and bought this cheap replacement. Knowing the risks that fitment and etc would be bad, I went with it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...Q5fAccessories

After a good week (shipping being really fast and spending only 149.00 with tax and shipping)
I dismantled the whole side mirror assembly to take out the outer pieces. WARNING the ebay ones are indeed fake. they claim to have OEM fitment but the internals of the side mirror is a joke! don't result to this if your internal pieces have been damaged Its a whole new type of system and configuration.

The holes where the screw goes are the same. it is only missing one out of the 4 which is no biggie. The fitment and etc were perfect with the oem internals and etc. I test fitted and everything.

Then I went to DTM autobody shop located in El Monte, and I had them paint my 2 outer pieces to TP (1g1) color. They were very fast and only took a weekend, and did an excellent job. They took one of my tow plugs to have an exact color match for precise painting. The labor and paint costed me $80.

I dismantled my side mirror that was cracked and started the replacing process.

Last edited by DaKi3241; 06-02-10 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 07:20 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

So yeah there you go. Something that I was quoted for $500+ I spent a total of $149.00 for ebay side mirror, and $80 for the paint.

I saved around $270! ( thinking of investing on those JDM side mirrors for once. Again you might ask why I replaced with the original... well I had to order the whole assembly in the first place to fix my rear side of the side mirror. Changing only the front would result to still having cracks and brittles on the rear piece. )

Last edited by DaKi3241; 06-02-10 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:28 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Nice job on replacement and saving a couple of hundred bucks in the process...
Old 06-02-10, 10:42 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Wow great find with the ebay piece. +1 for being proactive and not simply paying an arm and a leg to let the dealership fix it. Glad to hear you saved $$$ after the accident.
Old 06-03-10, 03:03 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
Nice job on replacement and saving a couple of hundred bucks in the process...
Originally Posted by Initial G
Wow great find with the ebay piece. +1 for being proactive and not simply paying an arm and a leg to let the dealership fix it. Glad to hear you saved $$$ after the accident.

thanks! yeah somewhat it took some courage risking the small cash. It felt kind of like gambling but I won!