IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cost efficient side mirror replacement solution!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 10:59 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost efficient side mirror replacement solution!

UPDATE
I found a solution to my side mirror problem, and I am happy to share with you guys with the results.

TURN TO PAGE 3!!!!!!

------------------------------
Oh no! car got a battle scar guys. I am not too fond of things flying at you and what not but here is what happened.

This ES350 was in front of me. We were going about 72mph. The ES runs over a plank of wood on the freeway. It turns out the 12in plank of wood was heading straight towards me. I swerved madly (even though I was going fast) and turns out the plank clipped me on my side mirror only.

I was so mad... SO MAD.... that I took pics of the ES350

Any ideas what I might be able to do? The ES driver saw my damage he did to my car when I went side by side with him, and I also took a pic of his face

In terms of insurance I have no idea if this is covered, and would I be at fault in this type of situation? Lastly... I smell a LED turn signal, but there is still cracks on the part where the LED turn signal conversion would not replace. Any ideas how much that part and painted might cost? part number would be great.

Last edited by DaKi3241; 06-02-10 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 11:06 AM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sucks...but led turn signals would be nice...
Old 05-10-10, 11:10 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what blk250 said.
Old 05-10-10, 11:10 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blk250
that sucks...but led turn signals would be nice...
ahahaha yeah. I wish the wood ONLY broke the front cover of the turn signal.... damn not sure what to do with the rest of the parts. i hope the stealership doesnt charge too much

Should I perhaps tell them to fix the turn signal BUT leave the front cover broken?
Old 05-10-10, 11:14 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

youre going to have to pay for that yourself. es350 isnt at fault. you are.
Old 05-10-10, 11:14 AM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks man. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 05-10-10, 11:15 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

thats sucks but.. at least now you have excuss to get and L.E.D turn signals.. i would get the auto-fold ones if possible..
Old 05-10-10, 11:17 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

actually contact CHP and see what they can do for you. In Florida if your car gets that damage you can claim it throught the city/state depends on the road since they have to maintain the roads and keep them free of road debrie.
Old 05-10-10, 11:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear about that. Most likely a comprehensive claim with your insurance company, less your comprehensive deductible (not collision, therefore won't be a ding like an accident on your record). I had a similar incident over 10 years ago, CSAA handled it as a comprehensive claim, no rate increase, etc.
Old 05-10-10, 11:22 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soupdawg
youre going to have to pay for that yourself. es350 isnt at fault. you are.
dang I see. Sigh I was hoping it wasn't It just sucks to be on the bad side of this luck...

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
thats sucks but.. at least now you have excuss to get and L.E.D turn signals.. i would get the auto-fold ones if possible..
yeah definitely. They have auto folding ones? wow.... must research....

Originally Posted by B16da9
actually contact CHP and see what they can do for you. In Florida if your car gets that damage you can claim it throught the city/state depends on the road since they have to maintain the roads and keep them free of road debrie.
Ah definitely. this will get quite interesting. thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sorry to hear about that. Most likely a comprehensive claim with your insurance company (not collision, therefore won't be a ding like an accident on your record).
Ah thanks man. much appreciated. I never really got into any accidents and etc. Pretty new at this insurance stuff.
Old 05-10-10, 11:26 AM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It will definitely be covered by your comprehensive coverage because the item was flying when it hit you (which often means less deductible). I had a runaway shopping cart hit me and tried to get it covered under comprehensive. But, because it was rolling, it was considered collision. So, I asked the adjuster, "If it was blowing so hard that the same cart had been airborne, would it be covered under comprehensive?". They said YES.
Old 05-10-10, 12:03 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn David which fwy was that on? So much random **** on highways it's ridiculous. You can try taking it apart to see how bad the internals were damaged. Definitely good reason to get led side mirrors from Nigel and change to led puddle lights (didn't look like you had them yet from your sig) but unfortunate nonetheless . And sucks it's during finals too . Where I park, it's behind restaurants and fast food places on fig that just throw their empty boxes out and the wind carries it, I've found them crash into our cars, leaving scratches all up the side. Filed complaints yet they all are still don't change, b1tches...

LA just doesn't want you to have good cars in good condition...mother nature, the people, so sadd...
Old 05-10-10, 12:09 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

you are not going to get reimbursed by the city because of a piece of wood in the roadway. you can make claims like if you hit a large pot hole that the city failed to fix. youd have to prove the city was negligent in maintaining the roadway...and simply having a piece of wood in it isnt goign to cut it.
Old 05-10-10, 12:18 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Just part of the risk of driving a car.

You can make a claim with your insurance under comprehensive coverage, and you will pay the deductible, and the body shop will replace it exactly as it was, meaning you won't have your car for a few days... or you can buy the LED mirrors and replace them yourself.
Old 05-10-10, 12:35 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

ouch, good thing you swerved madly to miss it from hitting your car entirely....

Quick Reply: Cost efficient side mirror replacement solution!