IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Intro: new 2IS 350 owner! (56K warning)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 04:53 PM
AWD4TW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro: new 2IS 350 owner! (56K warning)

Hi everyone, just wanted to start an intro thread for the new community that I'll be a part of. I'm actually taking over my mom's current car (the IS350), she's probably gonna get one of those Mercedes SL550 things... which are pretty cool but not really my style of things. The IS350 is cool, the 350 V6 engine is pretty smooth although I miss having boost already. The car's handling isn't as responsive as the Audi (will get into this later) and it lacks a lot of the stability that you have with a proper AWD system. But I did own another FR car before so it''ll be like riding a bicycle again- getting used to FR handling and remembering FR lines for corners. But nevertheless I do like the car! Will look forward to modding it a bit

Oh, please excuse the Audi in the background, it just got sold and is leaving tomorrow I've spent the last 4 years out of the JDM scene (was very into Hondas before). And I'm actually glad to get out of the Euro scene...bunch of jerks like on Honda-Tech but with even more money. Anyways, pics of my old car!

2006 Audi A4 2.0 Turbo 6MT Quattro S-line
I'll skip the BS about switching through 3 different body kits in the process and get to the mods that actually matter for this car:
Carbonio CF intake, GIAC X software, Evolution Raceworks dual side mount intercoolers, AWE Tuning quad tip exhaust, 19" HRE monoblocks (w/o caps to keep people from stealing them) wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's, EBC Red brake pads, ECS SS braided and teflon coated lines, Audi S4 brake rotors, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis 35mm/29mm sway bars, corner-balanced with my own derived special alignment settings. It's making only like 265 hp and 300+ ft/lbs nothing really special but fast enough to blast through corners.

BTW if you guys ever see that Evo X, DO NOT ATTEMPT to mess with him. He's pushing 500+ awhp w/ a much crazier suspension setup than I had with my Audi.

And some day shots:

Thanks for looking! I'm probably going to mod the IS350 a lot less than the Audi as I'm partially saved up for another car in the time being. Something also AWD + turbo but much much more crazy
Old 05-10-10, 10:09 PM
tigabalm
Rookie

Welcome to CL man! Actually made the same switch myself. Had an older B6 1.8T. Looking at your B7 almost makes me wanna switch back.

I hear ya on the differences, but I think (stating the obvious) diff cars for diff purposes. I think the biggest thing I miss is the interior though, got so used to the audi layout just felt like home.

Oh also were you active on Audizine?
Old 05-10-10, 10:11 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL

That evo looks sick!
Old 05-10-10, 10:18 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

Wlecome to CL. IMO the rims are to BIG for the audi. i woulda went a size smaller
Old 05-10-10, 10:24 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

^ 19' wheels to big? i think the stance needed to be more aggressive
welcome to CL... murder?
Old 05-10-10, 10:41 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

^

Yeah maybe that why it looks so high. Maybe a kit or a lower stance. IDK they looked like dubs. maybe im tippin

Old 05-10-10, 11:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Sick Audi. I recommend the F-Sport sways if your worried about handling.
Old 05-10-10, 11:26 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool pictures man, welcome to club lexus!
Old 05-11-10, 12:01 AM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

Your Audi is very nice and Welcome!
Old 05-11-10, 12:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome! My last ride was a B6 1.8T sport pack. I really miss that car. The IS is nice too. Enjoy.
Old 05-11-10, 01:32 AM
AWD4TW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tigabalm
Welcome to CL man! Actually made the same switch myself. Had an older B6 1.8T. Looking at your B7 almost makes me wanna switch back.

I hear ya on the differences, but I think (stating the obvious) diff cars for diff purposes. I think the biggest thing I miss is the interior though, got so used to the audi layout just felt like home.

Oh also were you active on Audizine?
Thanks for the welcome! I agree, that they are very different cars for very different purposes. I feel a lot more comfortable in the IS actually, the seats are better designed than the stock A4 ones for hugging your body (then again S4 Recaros...yum). I like the interior on both cars, I did notice that the Nav screen on the IS does have a higher resolution and crisper colors. I started going into hiatus on Audizine around late 2008, my username was Integration.

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Welcome to CL

That evo looks sick!
Thanks! I'll pass on all the good comments to the owner of the Evo X

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Wlecome to CL. IMO the rims are to BIG for the audi. i woulda went a size smaller
Originally Posted by Tommy350
^ 19' wheels to big? i think the stance needed to be more aggressive
welcome to CL... murder?
Originally Posted by JoshIS408
^

Yeah maybe that why it looks so high. Maybe a kit or a lower stance. IDK they looked like dubs. maybe im tippin

Haha, I'm a very firm believer in maxing out the handling potential of the car so I did a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't do with that car. Unfortunately though stance may not be as aggressive as a lot show cars out there. But show cars don't need to worry much about aggressive handling- which is what I'm extremely particular about. Dumping the car would greatly sacrifice the car's ability to rotate in a corner by throwing the suspension geometry off- welcome to understeer and less steering input response. A big no-no in terms of what I expect out of a car. So the car is high enough where there its ability to rotate as aided by the sway bars was close to stock and doesn't tend to understeer. Handling on it was very neutral for an AWD car and gas-ing it at about 4500+ rpm at a corner apex would induce some very slight oversteer- perfect for my driving style.

The look of the wheels (being very large) are also attributed to the body styling of the car and the absence of a lip as well as being a 1-pc wheel. Also the Audi doesn't have a low hanging bumper like the IS does and the side skirts don't hang low either. So believe it or not my car is actually lower in terms of roofline and mirror height vs. the Evo X in the pictures above. Then again I wanted to go as low as I could without sacrificing handling- the suspension geometry was thrown a bit off by lowering the car so much but I think the alignment and sway bars made up for it a bit.

I don't know if I'm gonna do the whole murdered out theme again. Then again I tend to own a lot of things that are mostly black in color...

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sick Audi. I recommend the F-Sport sways if your worried about handling.
Very worried about handling, thanks for the modding advice!

Last edited by AWD4TW; 05-11-10 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 02:07 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good!
Old 05-11-10, 06:37 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Holy smokes that is a mean A4. Welcome to CL!

Javier
Old 05-11-10, 08:12 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL. Very nice A4 and an even better looking EVO-X Any mod plans for your IS?
Old 05-11-10, 08:13 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

welcome to CL! nice Audi.

Quick Reply: Intro: new 2IS 350 owner! (56K warning)