IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damaged My Fender after Dropping on Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 12:58 PM
LyleBeach
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djbugz
Favor- If you could take some pics when you do this? Maybe a short DIY.. I have a heat gun, but not sure how exactly to do this.... Anything would be helpful.. Thanks!!
+1 I would also like to know
Old 05-18-10, 01:11 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So assuming this damage happened as a result of going up a driveway, was the fender bend caused by my tire directly pressing up against sheet metal, or is the tire hitting the plastic fender liner, which then indirectly puts pressure on the sheet metal/actual fender? If it's the latter, will heat gunning and pushing back the whole liner be a good solution? Thanks.

Last edited by brociouz; 05-18-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 01:17 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

OUCH!! Hope you can get it back to normal again without putting a huge hole in your pocket.

On a brighter note, this is a great post!

Majority of us like to see the IS as low as possible (on coils) because the stance look so sick. Some even encourage to tuck the tires below the fenders. Some even say, you ain't low enough until you hear metal scraping.

Well now that we've seen the damages that can be done when riding low, are you willing to sacrafice/take a chance with your own car to get a low stance?
Old 05-18-10, 01:24 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brociouz
So assuming this damage happened as a result of going up a driveway, was the fender bend caused by my tire directly pressing up against sheet metal, or is the tire hitting the plastic fender liner, which then indirectly puts pressure on the sheet metal/actual fender? If it's the latter, will heat gunning and pushing back the whole liner be a good solution? Thanks.
The fender liner wouldn't be strong enough to bend the fender itself, it had to be the tire itself touching the fender.
Old 05-18-10, 01:27 PM
stooky
Pole Position

wow some GT-Fs on a tungsten i guess im not the only one c(: hope you get that fixed soon!
Old 05-18-10, 01:36 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like I forgot to mention it in my first post, but just so everyone knows, these pictures were taken AFTER raising my ride height by almost a full centimeter (below is a picture when my car was at its lowest - slight tucking front and rear). I don't know if this damage was caused before or after the height adjustment, obviously I'm hoping it's from before and I never noticed.

I don't think I want to go any higher - the current ride height is supposed to be set RIGHT before the tire tucks, so the top of the tire is on the same plane as the bottom of the fender. I did ask the shop to stiffen my coils to 24/30 so hopefully that helps. I'll also go ahead and roll my fenders, heatgun my liner and be careful about going up driveways. Does everyone agree this is the ideal plan?
Old 05-18-10, 02:14 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

doesn't anyone know that your not suppose to turn your wheels when angling up/down a dip lol and that is how you avoid crushing your fender being slammed.. there's places where we just can't go sometimes lol
Old 05-18-10, 02:25 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
doesn't anyone know that your not suppose to turn your wheels when angling up/down a dip lol and that is how you avoid crushing your fender being slammed.. there's places where we just can't go sometimes lol
I learned this the hard way. I always heard you're supposed to angle into driveways to avoid scraping, but I thought that meant angling the wheels, not the car itself. Oops.
Old 05-18-10, 02:29 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Just rent one of these guys and a heat gun, should fix it.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.asp...0716&scid=AFFP

how to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiTfYyaI1A
Old 05-18-10, 03:13 PM
areukhmer
Lexus Test Driver

Here mine!

Thats why i went on AIR.
Old 05-18-10, 04:26 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djbugz
Favor- If you could take some pics when you do this? Maybe a short DIY.. I have a heat gun, but not sure how exactly to do this.... Anything would be helpful.. Thanks!!
hopefully getting this done this weekend. my friend is gonna walk me through it, i'll be sure to take some pics for you guys
Old 05-18-10, 04:26 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
true true, difficult to even make turns. but gets me out of driving to some places hahah
Old 05-18-10, 05:09 PM
djbugz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS250Kevin
hopefully getting this done this weekend. my friend is gonna walk me through it, i'll be sure to take some pics for you guys
That would be awesome.. Thanks!! I love these forums and you guys are swell

Someday, I hope to come out to some meets and "meet" some of you guys and girls.. I get so much info on what to do and not do to my 2IS ...
Old 05-18-10, 07:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

That sucks Brian, but the beauty of it is, you learn about your car and fix the settings when things like this happen!!
Old 05-19-10, 04:57 AM
simple
Pole Position

That's why I'd went raised mines up 1.5 finger gaps all around, also I'm running stretched tires...

Quick Reply: Damaged My Fender after Dropping on Coils