IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I found a diamond in the rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 12:29 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

great start! I always hated buying someone else's modded out dide. Now is the time for you to put your finishing touches on it to make it stand out and YOUR ride! That's what I'm doing right now as well! I getting ready to have my ride for the Beginning of Summer car show at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont. You should check it out to get ideas and meet new people! Have fun!!!
Old 05-19-10, 12:42 PM
2gs300
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it looks perfect.. Although i love is-f tails on black cars. Its just soo much cleaner! I say you do that and you'll be set!
Old 05-19-10, 12:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infra
Everyone here will always say go lower and go wider.

Lower always equates to a harsher ride, even on coilovers. The suspension has less room to travel, so the spring rate and damping rate must be greater. F = -k*x, when x (displacement) gets smaller, k (spring rate) must get larger.

Spacers are a purely cosmetic mod, but shouldn't cause fender damage as long as you don't lower it anymore.

Get some plastic, wrap your ECU & Battery, and spray down the engine bay with a degreaser from a car wash - it won't get it perfectly clean, but it's cheap and a good start.

I like the amber on the taillights, but redouts are always an option if you don't. Don't do smoked or blacked out lights... it doesn't ever seem to look right on the 2IS.

Congratulations! The car has a great start, is very clean & OEM looking (which I guess it is, all Lexus parts so far).
Good points, assuming he wants to retain the Lexus ride and handling that makes it such a great luxurious sports sedan.
Old 05-19-10, 02:48 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean ride. definitely need some spacers though
Old 05-19-10, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

That looks great man. What an awesome find
Old 05-19-10, 07:02 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

looks great, happy you finaly got it
Old 05-19-10, 07:53 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The look you have is VERY OEM. I like what you've done. i agree on the is-f tails. it would look 100 times better and you'll be all set IMO. great job

oh yeah and maybe some nicee exhaust tips
Old 05-19-10, 10:03 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Looking good. +1 for spacers and redouts. They'll make a big difference. You want be able to drive up driveways anymore, but it'll be worth it!
I don't mind the amber turn signals at the moment but I'll keep it in mind. I want to drive up my driveway without scrapping. I'll look into coilover so then at least I can adjust the ride height as needed.

Originally Posted by Thr3350
I could never tell if they're GFX sides or not in pictures? Car looks real good though. What part of Cali are you in?
I am from Fresno (Central Cali). I can't tell either but I know it has it on there because the service record from the Lexus dealer states that they installed the rear and side skirts. I want to compare it in person to see what the different is if there is any.

Originally Posted by Infra
Everyone here will always say go lower and go wider.

Lower always equates to a harsher ride, even on coilovers. The suspension has less room to travel, so the spring rate and damping rate must be greater. F = -k*x, when x (displacement) gets smaller, k (spring rate) must get larger.

Spacers are a purely cosmetic mod, but shouldn't cause fender damage as long as you don't lower it anymore.

Get some plastic, wrap your ECU & Battery, and spray down the engine bay with a degreaser from a car wash - it won't get it perfectly clean, but it's cheap and a good start.

Some cheap, easy mods to do would be replacing the fog lights with yellow halogen bulbs, and putting LEDs in the interior dome lamps (this price on this seems wrong to me - it used to be ~$80.)

I like the amber on the taillights, but redouts are always an option if you don't. Don't do smoked or blacked out lights... it doesn't ever seem to look right on the 2IS.

Congratulations! The car has a great start, is very clean & OEM looking (which I guess it is, all Lexus parts so far).
Thanks for the pointer. I was thinking about the smoked, not blacked out, tails but when I saw some of the pictures with the IS250/350 that have them they didn't look right. I plan to get the Nokya Hyper Yellow fog lights.
Do interior LEDs make that much of a difference in the interior lighting? I mean when your driving the less light the better at night I think. Only good for when you need to search for things in the car?
Even with my wheels a little tucked, the spacer won't damage the fender while the wheel is in full tilt i.e U-turns.

Originally Posted by Sffd103
great start! I always hated buying someone else's modded out dide. Now is the time for you to put your finishing touches on it to make it stand out and YOUR ride! That's what I'm doing right now as well! I getting ready to have my ride for the Beginning of Summer car show at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont. You should check it out to get ideas and meet new people! Have fun!!!
Yea I like buying stock stuff so I can add my own to it. That and I can guaranteed that the parts were install in correctly or the use of quality parts. Lucky for me the guy had decent to good taste or taste like mine at least. When is the event? I have a real busy schedule but if you let me know the date and time I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by 2gs300
I think it looks perfect.. Although i love is-f tails on black cars. Its just soo much cleaner! I say you do that and you'll be set!
The IS-F tails make that much of a difference?

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good points, assuming he wants to retain the Lexus ride and handling that makes it such a great luxurious sports sedan.
I do want to retain some of the ride comfort, but I will always want to improve handling.

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
The look you have is VERY OEM. I like what you've done. i agree on the is-f tails. it would look 100 times better and you'll be all set IMO. great job

oh yeah and maybe some nicee exhaust tips
Thanks I'll look into an exhaust tips. Will a exhaust system be worth it or tips are all. Exhaust tips don't change sound right, just looks? I would like to make it a deep tone.

Right now I am looking into getting the car touched up. I have a coworker who used to have contracts with dealers to touch up their cars. Long story short, she's looking into getting the microfiche? paint receipt so she can make it match close to perfect. I'm going to have her show me how to use a buffer so I can buff out the swirl marks and clean up the head lights. Still waiting for the mechanic for the inspection of the car to make sure its running in optimal condition.

I was reading that some members on here order the roof spoiler off ebay. I saw some for $70 up too $160 shipped from sellers using the same picture. I read some went with Carking2001 ($160) and oem.thing ($110), they are the same spoiler I am assuming.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paint...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paint...Q5fAccessories

I also saw a different style too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-10...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-19-10, 11:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

VERY NICE! I like the OEM look and that's what I've been sticking with too. I wouldn't mess with spacers or coils. The ride is going to become a hassle and you want to enjoy things, not constantly baby them. I think the wheels look fine as they are. For tips, you can do the GFX package tips. They are close to the stock ones, but stick out farther. I'm looking into those too. Careful with darkly smoking the lights on a black car with black rims and tints. You run the risk of the entire car looking like a black blob and the components getting lost within each other. As it is now, some things still stand out and give the car character and style. Also keep in mind the more you mod away from stock, the harder it is to sell the car and the lower the resale.
Have fun on Blackstone!
Old 05-19-10, 11:54 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
VERY NICE! I like the OEM look and that's what I've been sticking with too. I wouldn't mess with spacers or coils. The ride is going to become a hassle and you want to enjoy things, not constantly baby them. I think the wheels look fine as they are. For tips, you can do the GFX package tips. They are close to the stock ones, but stick out farther. I'm looking into those too. Careful with darkly smoking the lights on a black car with black rims and tints. You run the risk of the entire car looking like a black blob and the components getting lost within each other. As it is now, some things still stand out and give the car character and style. Also keep in mind the more you mod away from stock, the harder it is to sell the car and the lower the resale.
Have fun on Blackstone!
Yea, true about the all black making it all blend in with no definition. I don't really care for cruising unless its on my bike. The bike pulls more girls then a car, even a nice one. I don't cruise that much anymore and when I do its always with a group of friends. I am also thinking of redoing the front tints with 35% because it too dark and I will get pulled over for sure on a cruise night or club night unless of course the windows are rolled down. Even 35% is pushing it. Do you live in the Fresno area or how do you know about blackstone, at least you didn't say kings canyon. GFX package tips? Are you talking about the lip kit I have or is there another add on?
Old 05-20-10, 12:30 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

get s2k tips, they fit very wel mIStaboi should know
Old 05-20-10, 12:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
Yea, true about the all black making it all blend in with no definition. I don't really care for cruising unless its on my bike. The bike pulls more girls then a car, even a nice one. I don't cruise that much anymore and when I do its always with a group of friends. I am also thinking of redoing the front tints with 35% because it too dark and I will get pulled over for sure on a cruise night or club night unless of course the windows are rolled down. Even 35% is pushing it. Do you live in the Fresno area or how do you know about blackstone, at least you didn't say kings canyon. GFX package tips? Are you talking about the lip kit I have or is there another add on?
I'm in L.A., but I have family in Fresno and visited a lot when I was younger.
You are right about standing out to the cops. The more you alter, the more you stand out and will get picked on. I do the clubs too and my goal is to get home w/o being stopped.
They cruise on Kings Canyon? I remember breaking down on that road near Dunlap in a Greyhound and nearly spending the night there waiting for a wrecker! Is Cedar Lanes still in existance?
There are accessory tailpipe tips made to stick out farther when you've added the rear GFX. I haven't pin-pointed who makes them (I think Lexus?), but I see many Lexus dealers using them with their GFX package cars.
Old 05-20-10, 12:51 AM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mv350
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm in L.A., but I have family in Fresno and visited a lot when I was younger.
You are right about standing out to the cops. The more you alter, the more you stand out and will get picked on. I do the clubs too and my goal is to get home w/o being stopped.
They cruise on Kings Canyon? I remember breaking down on that road near Dunlap in a Greyhound and nearly spending the night there waiting for a wrecker! Is Cedar Lanes still in existance?
There are accessory tailpipe tips made to stick out farther when you've added the rear GFX. I haven't pin-pointed who makes them (I think Lexus?), but I see many Lexus dealers using them with their GFX package cars.
Cedar Lanes is still there I think, not sure since I haven't been there for awhile but still hear about it. Yes, Kings Canyon is first, then when cops shut it down at 10pm they move to Blackstone till 12am when cops sometimes shut that down too.

Here's a picture I found on wardsauto.com. Not sure how accredit this site is but the 2008 IS350 was one of the best 10 engines.
Attached Thumbnails I found a diamond in the rough-specbox-10.gif  
Old 05-20-10, 06:17 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mv350
haha well what do you know? i just ordered some

OP if you want some growl I suggest the Tanabe medalion exhaust.. i think it looks perfect with the gfx rear lip as well. not too loud either!
I would get the tanabe if i didn't DD on the highway soo much. I'll get annoyed by it
Old 05-20-10, 09:25 AM
Thr3350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
I am from Fresno (Central Cali). I can't tell either but I know it has it on there because the service record from the Lexus dealer states that they installed the rear and side skirts. I want to compare it in person to see what the different is if there is any.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5423175-post17.html

I think this members' post shows a good picture of the differences. The GFX sideskirts stick out a little bit more than the stocks.

Quick Reply: I found a diamond in the rough