Question: 2010 IS250 AWD w/o nav

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 10:41 PM
moosey2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: 2010 IS250 AWD w/o nav

Hi everyone,

I am going to buy my first car tomorrow afternoon. I am getting a new 2010 IS250 AWD in starfire pearl with black interior. I went back and forth about the navigation for a while, and have now decided to go without it after reading many complaints from current owners. Anyway, I know the 2010 awd models without nav are equipped with bluetooth and xm radio. I forgot to ask the dealer these few questions last week:

- Without the nav, is the bluetooth still voice activated? Can I make a call just using a voice command?
- When I receive a call, where on the dash is the name of the caller displayed? I'm assuming it is displayed somewhere. I'm also assuming that my iPhone is compatible although it was not listed on the Lexus website.
- When I have the XM radio/radio/CDs playing (again, no nav), is the name of the song and artist displayed anywhere?
- I'm going back and forth on HID headlights that move with turns... is this worth the $875?

Thanks SO much!
Old 05-20-10, 12:26 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

get nav, i regret not getting it, i bought a is250 awd obsidian on black
Old 05-20-10, 02:51 AM
omgswifty
Pole Position

i also regret not getting it since i ended up deciding to keep my car til it dies. sigh, but u can still settle with some aftermarket options that are out now.
Old 05-20-10, 03:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought mine with Nav solely on the reason that it looks better (aesthetically to me), not to mention Nav has a higher resale value
Old 05-20-10, 04:05 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just get the nav...i should have. or get the flyaudio headunit
Old 05-20-10, 07:59 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

I don't have nav in mine, had it in my old car and only used it twice for the 8 months I had it. To answer your question, you can pick up and make a call from voice command, when there is an incoming call, it will only display "UNKNOWN" on your tiny screen or the number you are dialing out. When playing a song from iPod, iPhone, or USB there is an option to display the title, artist, genre, album, or track number just like a nav unit. The only nice thing with thr nav is that it allows you to view more songs rather than 1 at a time to scroll through. However with CDs it seems to not display anything but track number unless the songs were saved on a mp3 format cd I believe.
Old 05-20-10, 08:11 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I got the NAV also for aesthetics and I moved to Houston and knew I'd be lost! I have no complaints with it, except i need to update the maps but dont want to pay big $$$.

NAV FTW!
Old 05-20-10, 08:18 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

The 2010 nav isn't bad at all, no lag. But with BMWs you HAVE to get a nav, the center console is just horribly design.
Old 05-20-10, 08:49 AM
rcracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nav is good you also get backup camera
Old 05-20-10, 08:53 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Get the Nav. I have it, my wife doesn't on her ES, a decision I now regret. When we go out and I back out of the garage, she'll usually make a remark about the rear camera. Oh, how I wish she had one. As far as the nav goes, I don't use it at all. I use the one in my Verizon phone for getting to an unknown destination, as does my wife. However, while driving, it's nice to be able to look at the dash and see exactly where you are. I only have nav, because my F was sitting on the dealers lot with it. If, at the time, I had a choice I would not have gotten it. Since having it, I have changed my mind.

Lou
Old 05-20-10, 09:19 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

your getting the same car i got...same color and same interior...i got birds eye though...

anyways....i agree the NAV does look alot better. but for the extra money i didn't think it was worth it. i somewhat feel i should have gotten it, because for the extra money when you break it down into payments wise its only what a few more dollars a month.......

BUT let me tell you this....I do regret not getting the 350. im actually thinking of trading it back in for the 350 right now.

if i were you, i would sit down with the sales guy, get the options on paper and look at the monthly payments and see if it suits you. look at the 250 with or without nav and look at the 350 with or with out....then factor in your add on's

i shoulda gotten the 350....booo...i didn't think i myself would get approved that easily thats why i stuck with the 250...i guess my credit was that good....anyways hoped i helped..

Last edited by imports4me; 05-20-10 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-10, 10:38 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nav is a must even if u don't use it much.... for the looks, resale value (I had a hard time getting a decebt trade in value for the RX I had w/o nav), backup camera is the best feature to me... everyone I kno loves it!
Old 05-20-10, 10:49 AM
intrinsic
Pole Position

nav FTW! rarely use it but when i need it, its a frekin life saver. never had any problems and it looks better than w/o nav. it also fills out all the buttons on the side of the dash for a cleaner look. its also better than having a garmin stuck to you're windhsield...
Old 05-20-10, 11:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

USA Today ran an article a while back about how nav is actually terrible for resale.

Why? same reason the folks who got the "phone" option in their Lexus SC found... technology moves on.

Having a $2500 built-in nav that does less than a $100 Garmin does 3 years later isn't really in your favor.

Personally I special ordered specifically to avoid getting Nav... because of how crap the feature set already was back when I bought, especially given the cost. It was 10 times more than a Garmin and did considerably less.

Now, 2010 finally brings the OEM nav into this century with some things like realtime traffic, so that's a plus...Cost remains insane compared to a Garmin and it still does less than an aftermarket unit, but it's at least a bit closer in features.

Realistically, like the other posters with nav, it's a feature you will rarely use around the area you live. So mostly it's making your dash look slightly nicer and in exchange you pay $2500 more and you'll often have to press an extra button more than the non-nav user does to change radio presets or some AC controls. So not at all worth it IMHO.

For the infrequent times I drive someplace foreign my Garmin still does more at a tiny fraction of the cost... and as an extra bonus when I fly for travel which isn't rare I can toss it in my luggage and use it in a rental car.... or if we're taking a trip in my wifes car move it to hers.

(Oh, and no windshield for me... it hides invisibly in the center console when not needed and when needed goes right on the top of the center stack with the friction mount)
Old 05-20-10, 12:59 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's the article Kurtz is referring to:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ale-usat_N.htm

Although it's from 2007, it makes sense. I'm going to keep telling myself my NAV will help in resale though

Quick Reply: Question: 2010 IS250 AWD w/o nav