IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 possible tranny problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 06:11 PM
LexHes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My CHECK VSC light just turned on today as well

AND the stealership dont got any open appointments until tuesday.. AHHH!
Im sad.. Does anybody know why?!? And is it bad to drive with this light on over the weekend?
Old 05-28-10, 11:12 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jobra
that's probably the exact same issue im getting, but im almost certain that if i take it in ill get the same answer you got.....plus my factory warranty ran out already...
I tried a loaner and it did the same thing so its probably 'normal' for the IS.
Dealership called this morning and said they still cannot duplicate the brake squeal so I have to go there and produce it for them...so far not impressed with Lexus service.
Old 05-28-10, 10:51 PM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexHes
My CHECK VSC light just turned on today as well

AND the stealership dont got any open appointments until tuesday.. AHHH!
Im sad.. Does anybody know why?!? And is it bad to drive with this light on over the weekend?

as long as your check engine light isnt flashing your fine. If it starts flashing pull over right away and call a tow truck.
Old 05-29-10, 08:55 AM
jobra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 052SI
I tried a loaner and it did the same thing so its probably 'normal' for the IS.
Dealership called this morning and said they still cannot duplicate the brake squeal so I have to go there and produce it for them...so far not impressed with Lexus service.
Kinda disapointing that a lexus would make such a clunky transmission. My dads 96 ford exploder's tranny is smoother than than this.
Old 05-29-10, 09:07 AM
moses0324
Driver

i have also experienced the sudden clunk of the transmission when braking...

imo, I would attribute this to your ECU...As the ECU has learned your driving patterns it is trying to decide which gear to select. As a result it sometimes has an irregular gear "thump". This is also true when decelerating around stop signs, etc.

What is odd is that I never experienced in early ownership. I must also say I experienced this exact "thump" in my 05' audi a4 which was annoying. The mechanics explanation is what I described above. Simply the ECU is trying to decide which gear to engage as you decelerate. Sometimes it tries to compensate for a sudden acceleration.
Old 05-29-10, 10:04 AM
LexHes
Driver

Originally Posted by SlickRSM
as long as your check engine light isnt flashing your fine. If it starts flashing pull over right away and call a tow truck.
Well three lights turned on. Didnt necessarily start FLASHING but the CHECK VSC on the main display. TRACTION CONTROL symbol on the bottom right and CHECK ENGINE turned on in the bottom left. I drove for a whole day with this on. It rode fine. I restarted my battery and everything turned off. Could i of ruining anything??
Old 05-29-10, 11:33 AM
jobra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moses0324
i have also experienced the sudden clunk of the transmission when braking...

imo, I would attribute this to your ECU...As the ECU has learned your driving patterns it is trying to decide which gear to select. As a result it sometimes has an irregular gear "thump". This is also true when decelerating around stop signs, etc.

What is odd is that I never experienced in early ownership. I must also say I experienced this exact "thump" in my 05' audi a4 which was annoying. The mechanics explanation is what I described above. Simply the ECU is trying to decide which gear to engage as you decelerate. Sometimes it tries to compensate for a sudden acceleration.

Yeah it just seems as if the car, as its decelerating, is downshifting into the the wrong gear. It just feel like when downshifting a manual car.

Maybe resetting the ecu might help.....ill give that a try today. l'll let you guys know how that goes....
Old 05-29-10, 11:57 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Kinda disapointing that a lexus would make such a clunky transmission. My dads 96 ford exploder's tranny is smoother than than this.
I know what you mean. I would have expected my now (2010 MY) that these cars should have all the bugs out.

I had to return to the dealership to reproduce the brake squeal; they ended up resurfacing the front rotors and deglazing the pads all the way around. I was not too crazy about resurfacing the rotors on a car with 1300 miles but the said that is protocol and if the squeal returns they would either replace the rotors and or pads. Either way its been documented early on.

They found the shifter movement 'normal', I have never driven a late model auto trans car that does this. They gave us an '10 ES350 as a loaner this time and I'll see if I can reproduce this in it.

I also asked if they would program the warning chime to sound if the lights/parking lights are left on (parking lights do not go off automatically even after 24 hrs)...they said it could not be done; never had a late model car that doesnt warn when the lights are on even those with auto off lights.

Last edited by 052SI; 05-29-10 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 02:53 PM
jobra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 052SI
I know what you mean. I would have expected my now (2010 MY) that these cars should have all the bugs out.

I had to return to the dealership to reproduce the brake squeal; they ended up resurfacing the front rotors and deglazing the pads all the way around. I was not too crazy about resurfacing the rotors on a car with 1300 miles but the said that is protocol and if the squeal returns they would either replace the rotors and or pads. Either way its been documented early on.

They found the shifter movement 'normal', I have never driven a late model auto trans car that does this. They gave us an '10 ES350 as a loaner this time and I'll see if I can reproduce this in it.

I also asked if they would program the warning chime to sound if the lights/parking lights are left on (parking lights do not go off automatically even after 24 hrs)...they said it could not be done; never had a late model car that doesnt warn when the lights are on even those with auto off lights.
I cant believe that they wouldn't just change out the brakes and rotors and pads....why even go through the trouble and the possibility of a repeat issue. In the long run that can cost them more money that just putting in new parts.....not to mention the inconvenience it can cause you.
Old 05-31-10, 05:29 PM
052SI
Pole Position

I cant believe that they wouldn't just change out the brakes and rotors and pads....why even go through the trouble and the possibility of a repeat issue. In the long run that can cost them more money that just putting in new parts.....not to mention the inconvenience it can cause you.
I agree 100%...

Something very strange and very upsetting occured when we left our car for service and I'll post a new thread about it when we get more facts after speaking with the service director etc in the next couple of days...
Old 05-31-10, 06:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by LexHes
Well three lights turned on. Didnt necessarily start FLASHING but the CHECK VSC on the main display. TRACTION CONTROL symbol on the bottom right and CHECK ENGINE turned on in the bottom left. I drove for a whole day with this on. It rode fine. I restarted my battery and everything turned off. Could i of ruining anything??
Traction control is automatically disabled when the check engine light comes on, so that is the reason you saw the CHECK VSC and traction icon. You'll need someone to hook up a code scanner to find out why the check engine light came on - it could be something as simple as a loose gas cap. It's unlikely you did any damage driving it with the light on.
Old 06-01-10, 10:43 AM
LexHes
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Traction control is automatically disabled when the check engine light comes on, so that is the reason you saw the CHECK VSC and traction icon. You'll need someone to hook up a code scanner to find out why the check engine light came on - it could be something as simple as a loose gas cap. It's unlikely you did any damage driving it with the light on.
Thanks, Appreciate it. I actually got it to turn off. Loosen'd then tightened the gas tank and restarted the battery and it turned off.
Old 06-01-10, 10:53 AM
tastfulmod
Pole Position

i have an 08 is350 and it does that sometimes. lexus's failure design
Old 06-01-10, 11:10 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys I really don't think our tranny has a problem. It's smooth as butter! The ecu learns the way you drive - so if the dealer re-set it during service, or you changed the way you drive, it will take it a bit to relearn your driving habits

After I got the pedal recall I noticed it right away. It wasn't shifting like before, and was even rough at times. But now, a few weeks later, it's pretty much learned my driving habits again. Too bad it's gonna reset again when I unplug the battery to install my steering damper