IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How easy to steal Lexus IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 08:06 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How easy to steal Lexus IS250?

I live in Houston and vandalism is pretty common. But recently someone's car got stolen in apt complex. And the leasing office held a community meeting by inviting 2 police officers to warn the residents about vandalism.

I was just wondering how easy it is to steal a Lexus car with no physical key. I'm kind of freaking out right now even though I got full coverage. I know having a system without physical key is making the vandalism more difficult. Also, I never leave any valuables inside the car. But they wont guarantee.

Are Lexus cars, especially IS, popular for the thieves?
Old 05-26-10, 08:20 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly most people will simply just stay away from your car. Most petty thugs and car thieves target easy cars. Our car, I'd say isn't that simple. It would take quite a bit of work. The truthful question is, if someone wants to steal it they will, granted their experience.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about someone driving off without the key, but most car thieves use other methods like towing. A key deterrent is to park in between cars. Get an aftermarket Alarm that detects air motion disturbance, or tow height sensors. Like I said most car thieves will not even bother. Our car is pretty complex to start without the key. Someone would really have to know what their doing.

Now, vandalism is another thing lol. Obviously anyone can mess up a car. Good luck in your area, but I'd really not worry too much about someone up and driving away without key access.

Last edited by lexy250; 05-26-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 08:21 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

It is not a commonly stolen car. Cars commonly stolen are extremely common ones like civics.

For a professional car thief, it would take a matter of seconds to bypass the engine disabling system and have the car ready to drive away. But it is not a common target for thieves. If you are that worried just get lo jack and it will pay for itself in a matter of a few years from insurance discounts.
Old 05-26-10, 08:27 PM
holYcOO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thread title made me LMAO.

I think I only heard once, a IS being stolen.
Old 05-26-10, 08:44 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

dude got his F stolen last year, it was all over CL, i remember reading about it.

i'de say its as easy as stealing a civic...as long as the thief knows what hes doing
Old 05-26-10, 08:54 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our cars grab a lot of hater attention. Every other month or so you will hear about an IS getting keyed or hated on.
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (05-27-22)
Old 05-26-10, 08:58 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS
Our cars grab a lot of hater attention. Every other month or so you will hear about an IS getting keyed or hated on.
Sigh, don't even get me started on that lol. Had my car keyed after 4 months of having it in California. From Passenger Front door to rear quarter panel. Sad, that people are like that.
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (05-27-22)
Old 05-26-10, 09:03 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS

The downside of having an attention grabber.

Wish people would just be ... but life is life.
Mix of both good and bad.

Just have to take extra precaution.
Old 05-26-10, 09:18 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

if the thief has the resources, they can steal your car
Old 05-26-10, 09:39 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone can steal any car with a flatbed...

but other than that., it would be pretty tough
Old 05-26-10, 10:04 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexy250
Sigh, don't even get me started on that lol. Had my car keyed after 4 months of having it in California. From Passenger Front door to rear quarter panel. Sad, that people are like that.
Got my car shot at while I was driving lol 3 week old car, not even 500 miles on it.

It was a bb gun but still. Kinda cool story to tell I guess
Old 05-26-10, 10:12 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

If they want it they will get it. Just some are more difficult then others.
Old 05-26-10, 10:35 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
The downside of having an attention grabber.

Wish people would just be ... but life is life.
Mix of both good and bad.

Just have to take extra precaution.
couldnt agree with you more! gotta give the proper care and precaution, cuz you never know what kinda crazies lurk near a great ride like the IS. lojack definitely helps, and that big cost to have it installed and the services that come with it is well worth it IMO.
Old 05-26-10, 10:56 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexy250
Honestly most people will simply just stay away from your car. Most petty thugs and car thieves target easy cars. Our car, I'd say isn't that simple. It would take quite a bit of work. The truthful question is, if someone wants to steal it they will, granted their experience.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about someone driving off without the key, but most car thieves use other methods like towing. A key deterrent is to park in between cars. Get an aftermarket Alarm that detects air motion disturbance, or tow height sensors. Like I said most car thieves will not even bother. Our car is pretty complex to start without the key. Someone would really have to know what their doing.

Now, vandalism is another thing lol. Obviously anyone can mess up a car. Good luck in your area, but I'd really not worry too much about someone up and driving away without key access.
Speaking about towing, someone (in the meeting) mentioned about parking your car based on your drive wheel. If you got RWD, do I need to back up or just straight front end parking?

I doubt that these thieves are using a tow car since a lot residents saw them being 15-20 years old. But I don't wanna underestimate them.
Old 05-26-10, 11:09 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

Haters and low lives are everywhere. They're just simply inevitable.

Quick Reply: How easy to steal Lexus IS250?